Irving says...

NotoriousBIG

Apparently Irving said on the broadcast (I didn't hear this myself) that he thinks Miller and Walters will remain in their current roles next season.

Wade apparently really likes Walters and said as much saying "Walters isn't going anywhere."

Remember when Mike Kelly was basically given the HC job by Lyle? And other candidates were commenting that they don't know why they even bothered doing interviews because it seemed like the job had been filled already?

Will this organization EVER learn?

Apparently Irving said on the broadcast (I didn't hear this myself) that he thinks Miller and Walters will remain in their current roles next season.

Wade apparently really likes Walters and said as much saying "Walters isn't going anywhere."

Remember when Mike Kelly was basically given the HC job by Lyle? And other candidates were commenting that they don't know why they even bothered doing interviews because it seemed like the job had been filled already?

I think what he meant is Walters wont be leaving the organization.  When the promotion was announced, Miller did say that Walters is to valuable of an asset to let him go to another team or something to that effect

that's true becuase even if we hire another GM, he will stay with the organization us the Asst GM and/or Director of Canadian Scouting

Walters managed a CIS football program before and done a good job. I know managing a professional football club is a different animal. but Walters sounds like he has a good handle of the current situation and has a established plan to better the football team.

Personally, I'm willing to see what he can do as a GM.

/puts on Bomber jersey and paints his face

What if Walters is actually the best candidate?  How many CFL guys have his knowledge of the Canadian game, it's players and the CIS system?  There are other interesting candidates, but we know that the easier part of this job is finding the Americans.  Mack's downfall wasn't the American talent (though it is apparent that isn't as good as I initially thought) but rather his inability to find a QB, a HC and Canadians (a group that improved with Walters running the show).  

/wipes paint off

I'm not saying give him the job.  I'm not even in favour of having him run this club.  I don't think it's nearly as crazy as it seems though.

This team is cash strapped right now.  They are in a real tough position, a new GM is going to want $$$$$$ to make wholesale changes.   I can see them standing pat for a season.  Good, bad or ugly?  Better be good or they will be swimming in red ink by the end of 2014.   

I think this team is in such a huge mess that they need to spend money whether they have it or not in order to get this franchise back on track.  Unless, for whatever reason, they want to role the dice again on another season in order to save money.  But will they save money if people don't buy tickets?

I'm not saying Walters is not going to be the next big GM, but is the organization willing to chance this?  People are already screaming for blood if you listen to the post game shows and read the forums. People are tired of seeing this team lose.  Do we really want to chance another new GM?  Are we really willing to go through another season just to "try him out"?  His tryout is now, and if he fails, put him back to his old position and get someone who can turn this team around.

This team is cash strapped right now.  They are in a real tough position, a new GM is going to want $$$$$$ to make wholesale changes.   I can see them standing pat for a season.  Good, bad or ugly?  Better be good or they will be swimming in red ink by the end of 2014.   

I think this team is in such a huge mess that they need to spend money whether they have it or not in order to get this franchise back on track.  Unless, for whatever reason, they want to role the dice again on another season in order to save money.  But will they save money if people don't buy tickets?

No. They will lose a ton of money cutting corners with the on field product in a fancy new stadium that will turn into a white elephant.

I'm not saying Walters is not going to be the next big GM, but is the organization willing to chance this?  People are already screaming for blood if you listen to the post game shows and read the forums. People are tired of seeing this team lose.  Do we really want to chance another new GM?  Are we really willing to go through another season just to "try him out"?  His tryout is now, and if he fails, put him back to his old position and get someone who can turn this team around.

Unfortunatley I don't like viewing the remainder of this season as a tryout for Walters because there's really not a hell of a lot he can prove in that limited time. Most of a GMs work is done in the offseasons so if we're giving Walters a tryout you basically need to use next year as well. I would be completely fine keeping him around as AGM and letting him get some more experience before giving him the role but I have no tolerance for another cheap cost saving experiment from the Bombers. Identify who the absolute best candidate out there is and do what it takes to hire them. 

I want Walters around but I'd rather use him as a tool to assist a more experienced GM than have him be THAT guy.

That being said, he's been active so far. I've liked the overall body of work and if this trade for an OL goes through, that COULD sell me on him even more if he comes away a winner in that deal.

He has a long way to go though.

Unfortunatley I don't like viewing the remainder of this season as a tryout for Walters because there's really not a hell of a lot he can prove in that limited time. Most of a GMs work is done in the offseasons so if we're giving Walters a tryout you basically need to use next year as well. I would be completely fine keeping him around as AGM and letting him get some more experience before giving him the role but I have no tolerance for another cheap cost saving experiment from the Bombers. Identify who the absolute best candidate out there is and do what it takes to hire them. 

What if the best candidate is a mediocre candidate at best?

Unless we can hire GM with both experience in the CFL AND a proven track record of winning (there aren't many out there) I would rather sit on the position for one more year.

I want Walters around but I'd rather use him as a tool to assist a more experienced GM than have him be THAT guy.

That being said, he's been active so far. I've liked the overall body of work and if this trade for an OL goes through, that COULD sell me on him even more if he comes away a winner in that deal.

Do you have any inkling who they are trying to trade for?

I have an inkling on who they WANT to trade for, but I don't think that's who they're going to end up acquiring.

No doubt they want Chris Best.

I have an inkling on who they WANT to trade for, but I don't think that's who they're going to end up acquiring.

Wasn't Best a free agent at the start of the year?  Yet another guy that Mack refused to go after?

Wasn't Best a free agent at the start of the year?  Yet another guy that Mack refused to go after?

Nope. Best was signed to an extension in 2012 that carries into 2014.

Nope. Best was signed to an extension in 2012 that carries into 2014.

Oh ok thanks.