Irving says...

NotoriousBIG

Mr Dee, staying in their current roles doesn't mean they'll be interm in perpetuity. Nor does it mean new people will come in this season & take over their interim duties. It means Bob believes that the word "interim" will be changed to "permanent".

No, it doesn't mean new people will come in this year.

Of course not.

But for both of you to say 'what will be will be' is not que sera sera and especially since this thread was started with at least 2nd hand information.

And for you to say what Bob believes, without even hearing what he said, is laughable.

Armchair GM is entitled to his opinion, as are you two.

Everything, at this point, is conjecture.

On that I think we can all agree.

Yep. conjecture. That is why we're here, Jacquie. ;)

Honestly I think Miller is a fine choice for the role he is in. I just want to see them identify the best candidate for GM and hire that person. Then that GM can bring in his own head coach because if we go with Burke next year it'll be another wasted year as he finds more excuses for why the team can't get up to play games. 

Yeah, I think Miller could be well suited for the job. Moreso than Garth. Hope he proves me right.

While I like the fact that Walters and co. are being proactive, something Mack wasn't known for, I don't like the idea of signing/bringing in guys just to say you are.

Bomber fans deserve a proven winner, someone that has the odds in favour of creating a winning tradition. No more unknowns or future's until the ship is righted.

With each passing week it looks more and more likely that Miller will stay on as C.E.O, Walters as the permenant G.M and Burke as the HC, which IMO is depressing.

Why with each passing week? What is happening here that is making you think this way?

Apologies, I should have made my point clear.

While I do like seeing Walters be pro active, I can honestly see the current executive team seeing that as enough and hand over the job to him, which seems to be the norm around here.

With Miller already in place and depending on if the Board is behind him or not, he'll likely keep the job as well.

As for Burke, his "I'm doing the best I can with what I have" mantra may ring true with Walters and Miller, hence why I believe he'll stick around, that and Burke has 2 years left on his deal after this season IIRC.

I don't see the Bombers board adding yet another pay cheque for a former employee to the tab.

I should however point out that I don't believe Miller and Walters are terrible or would be terrible at the permenant positions, but instead of just keeping people in place, the Bombers Board should ensure that the right people are put in place, "an exhaustive" search lead to the hiring of Mack (only Barker, Mack and Taman were on the list). I hope I'm not the only one that found it a bit odd that Miller was hired the same day Buchko was fired, so clearly their "exhaustive search" which lead to Buchko (whom I still support) not being the right guy and Miller now being "that guy".

A legitimate search and interview process should be done for all 3 positions, and if Miller, Walters and heck even Burke prove to be the guys, then they deserve the job, but seeing as I have little to no faith in the current Board I don't see this happening at all..............................Maybe I should just wait until the off season.

I'd like this but the thought of Tim Burke staying as head coach is nauseating.

Bob Irving shares the same opinion. Is he part time palm reader too?

Did you actually hear Bob Irving say it or are you still relying on your friend's spin of what Bob Irving said?

Is that really the point you want to argue?

Come on. 

Argue all you want that you think Walters will be GM based on Bomber history or whatever but relying on what your friend claims Bob Irving said is no better than the "friend of a friend's brother-in-law's brother's neighbour said" argument.

Did you actually hear Bob Irving say it or are you still relying on your friend's spin of what Bob Irving said?

Did you? Fill us in.

No I didn't but I'm not claiming Irving said something that none of us heard firsthand as "proof" Walters will be named GM. 

If Irving said Walters wasn't going anywhere after the season that isn't proof Walters will be the GM since we have already established that Wade Miller said at the press conference where Walters was named interim GM that Walters would be remaining with the organization if someone else was hired as GM.

Bob Irving shares the same opinion. Is he part time palm reader too?

Is that really the point you want to argue?

Come on. 

Argue all you want that you think Walters will be GM based on Bomber history or whatever but relying on what your friend claims Bob Irving said is no better than the "friend of a friend's brother-in-law's brother's neighbour said" argument.

Did you? Fill us in.

No I didn't but I'm not claiming Irving said something that none of us heard firsthand as "proof" Walters will be named GM. 

If Irving said Walters wasn't going anywhere after the season that isn't proof Walters will be the GM since we have already established that Wade Miller said at the press conference where Walters was named interim GM that Walters would be remaining with the organization if someone else was hired as GM.

Come on, Jacquie. You're really arguing with Brice & I yet you never heard Bob either... Too funny. LOL!

While I like the fact that Walters and co. are being proactive, something Mack wasn't known for, I don't like the idea of signing/bringing in guys just to say you are.

Bomber fans deserve a proven winner, someone that has the odds in favour of creating a winning tradition. No more unknowns or future's until the ship is righted.

With each passing week it looks more and more likely that Miller will stay on as C.E.O, Walters as the permenant G.M and Burke as the HC, which IMO is depressing.

Why with each passing week? What is happening here that is making you think this way?

That's what I didn't quite get either.

What were people expecting? A weekly presser to update fans on the goings-on of their GM hunt?

well duh.. how else are we gunna know what to whine about or whos resume to go over with a fine tooth comb and ***** about?

Come on, Jacquie. You're really arguing with Brice & I yet you never heard Bob either... Too funny. LOL!

So a friend of mine was listening to CJOB and told me that Bob Irving said "___________". I didn't hear it myself and can't provide a link or any proof of what was actually said but my friend says he heard it so it must be true.You really think that's proof of anything.

Mr Dee, staying in their current roles doesn't mean they'll be interm in perpetuity. Nor does it mean new people will come in this season & take over their interim duties. It means Bob believes that the word "interim" will be changed to "permanent".

Of course not.

But for both of you to say 'what will be will be' is not que sera sera and especially since this thread was started with at least 2nd hand information.

And for you to say what Bob believes, without even hearing what he said, is laughable.

Connect the dots for me Iso.

Paint the numbers.

Con the jecture.

Explain.

This should be good.

Lets see how the season ends before we decide.

Unfortunately, I am of the mind that this decision is already decided.

Walters will continue to sign like crazy, Blue will win one or two more games, and everyone will say "Boy that Walters kid works hard!"

And with that we'll have our new GM. 

I sympathize with your concern, since the last few hires for GM/CEO have not inspired confidence. But if Wade Miller is kept on as CEO, he will know that his success as a CEO will rest on his choice for GM, and their ability to turn the direction of the football team around. However much we want the bombers to win, he wants it at least as much, and probably more so. I can't see him giving the job to someone, simply because they are around already, and hard working. He will seek out the best person he can find for the job, based on a comprehensive search. He will do whatever he can to free up the necessary money to hire the best candidate. I don't think that will be Kyle Walters; but if it is, then I am going to accept that Wade Miller knows far more than I do about who will make the best candidate, and I will be fine with the choice. Sure, you could argue that a Walters hire will be all about saving money; but at some point you have to cut the organization some slack and give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Of course not.

Connect the dots for me Iso.

Paint the numbers.

Con the jecture.

Explain.

This should be good.

I have already on more than a couple of posts. Look it up. ;)

Walters will continue to sign like crazy, Blue will win one or two more games, and everyone will say "Boy that Walters kid works hard!"

I sympathize with your concern, since the last few hires for GM/CEO have not inspired confidence. But if Wade Miller is kept on as CEO, he will know that his success as a CEO will rest on his choice for GM, and their ability to turn the direction of the football team around. However much we want the bombers to win, he wants it at least as much, and probably more so. I can't see him giving the job to someone, simply because they are around already, and hard working. He will seek out the best person he can find for the job, based on a comprehensive search. He will do whatever he can to free up the necessary money to hire the best candidate. I don't think that will be Kyle Walters; but if it is, then I am going to accept that Wade Miller knows far more than I do about who will make the best candidate, and I will be fine with the choice. Sure, you could argue that a Walters hire will be all about saving money; but at some point you have to cut the organization some slack and give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Unfortunately I already did with Bauer signing Kelly. Then the Bombers hiring Mack although I admit I wanted Barker. But supported them both at the time. You're right, the last few hires haven't inspired any confidence.

First of all, thank you for bringing a measure of intelligence back to this thread. Considering some of the responses it was needed. 

I agree, Miller's job is tied to his hire. Its in his best interests as boss to hire someone capable.

That said, there's still the board above him, and the fact that the Bombers are notoriously cheap (comes with all these legacy salaries we seem to love paying).

The board approved Reinbold, Kelly, and Mack; and also approved firing all of the above.

Thing is, nobody knows. So, for you to come here & give us a dissertation about how hard work won't lead to a permanent GM position (like you have some inside info)  is negative talk as well. You basically said Walters has no chance. According to you, he could work 18 hour days everyday to the end of the season & won't be the permanent GM. Like I said, that sounds negative to me. Do I want Walters to be our GM? Nope. unless he proves to be the best person available. I'd say hard work will go a long way in hiring a GM so he probably has the inside track. But your line of reasoning as to why Walters won't be hired is totally negative.

I have never not liked Kyle Walters. I have said this once & I will say it again. He seems like a bright guy who certainly understands the CIS draft. He is a great asset for us to have. I just believe that we'd be better served & ultimately more successful if we hire someone with experience at that position & has built winners in the past. I'm thinking of Tom Higgins but not thinking of Eric Tillman for obvious reasons.

If wanting a guy like Tom Higgins over Kyle Walters is considered being negative by some then so be it.

Wow my argument has been misconstrued. 

Iso - I have no crystal ball, and nothing I said was with any strain of being remotely prophetic. BriceDream's contention was that he was resigned to the Bombers anointing Walters GM at the end of the season because he's a hard worker.  Walters could work 24 hours a day... all I am saying is that a GM should not be picked based ONLY on how hard he works.

You've trolled my post pretty good here... somehow pitting me against Walters and hardworking people everywhere.  Somehow you've twisted my words into meaning that Walters won't be hired, and that I can see the future. 

As a football fan, I want a smart, well-connected GM, who has experience managing football operations.  Not just a scout that works long hours.  Not just a capologist/Ross Hodgkinson contract type.  Etc.  I can see many Bomber GM candidates being hard workers... I just really don't see how hard of a worker Walters is being the defining characteristic that gets him the job.   There's a lot more to success as a sports franchise GM than just how many hours you put in.

Apparently Irving said on the broadcast (I didn't hear this myself) that he thinks Miller and Walters will remain in their current roles next season.

Wade apparently really likes Walters and said as much saying "Walters isn't going anywhere."

Remember when Mike Kelly was basically given the HC job by Lyle? And other candidates were commenting that they don't know why they even bothered doing interviews because it seemed like the job had been filled already?

Will this organization EVER learn?

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Seriously, what else could you tell Walters to keep him working effectively?

Finally, the BOD shows that they are capable of smart business decisions after all.

Thing is, nobody knows. So, for you to come here & give us a dissertation about how hard work won't lead to a permanent GM position (like you have some inside info)  is negative talk as well. You basically said Walters has no chance. According to you, he could work 18 hour days everyday to the end of the season & won't be the permanent GM. Like I said, that sounds negative to me. Do I want Walters to be our GM? Nope. unless he proves to be the best person available. I'd say hard work will go a long way in hiring a GM so he probably has the inside track. But your line of reasoning as to why Walters won't be hired is totally negative.

I have never not liked Kyle Walters. I have said this once & I will say it again. He seems like a bright guy who certainly understands the CIS draft. He is a great asset for us to have. I just believe that we'd be better served & ultimately more successful if we hire someone with experience at that position & has built winners in the past. I'm thinking of Tom Higgins but not thinking of Eric Tillman for obvious reasons.

If wanting a guy like Tom Higgins over Kyle Walters is considered being negative by some then so be it.

Wow my argument has been misconstrued. 

Iso - I have no crystal ball, and nothing I said was with any strain of being remotely prophetic. BriceDream's contention was that he was resigned to the Bombers anointing Walters GM at the end of the season because he's a hard worker.  Walters could work 24 hours a day... all I am saying is that a GM should not be picked based ONLY on how hard he works.

You've trolled my post pretty good here... somehow pitting me against Walters and hardworking people everywhere.  Somehow you've twisted my words into meaning that Walters won't be hired, and that I can see the future. 

As a football fan, I want a smart, well-connected GM, who has experience managing football operations.  Not just a scout that works long hours.  Not just a capologist/Ross Hodgkinson contract type.  Etc.  I can see many Bomber GM candidates being hard workers... I just really don't see how hard of a worker Walters is being the defining characteristic that gets him the job.   There's a lot more to success as a sports franchise GM than just how many hours you put in.

I want the best guy too so we are thinking the same thing.

Hodgkinson didn't get a lot of respect (I believe) because he was a physiotherapist turned scout & AGM. I don't even know if he played football nor do I know enough about the way Ross conducted business & treated players under Bauer, Taman or Mack to comment. Any opinions on Ross Hodgkinson?

What a joke that Hodkinson took the fall for Mack...  he is as much responsible for our finds as Walters

Was he? I don't recall him doing any scouting. I thought one of the reasons they didn't renew his contract was because he didn't do any scouting. 

And Walters was our Special Teams Coach....

I thought we had a management 'team' back in 2010 when Mack was building for the future...  I guess not.

What a joke that Hodkinson took the fall for Mack...  he is as much responsible for our finds as Walters

Was he? I don't recall him doing any scouting. I thought one of the reasons they didn't renew his contract was because he didn't do any scouting.

And Walters was our Special Teams Coach....

I thought we had a management 'team' back in 2010 when Mack was building for the future...  I guess not.

Walters was in charge of the draft as well then as I'm sure you know. It was no different than when Bob Dyce coached and did the draft. From what I understand Hodgkinson's duties were the same under Taman, Kelly and Mack and based on what his duties were I don't really know why it was ever suggested he was being blamed for anything.

His contract was not renewed after the 2012 season. Under Taman he did both CIS and NFL scouting. Under Mack he managed the football ops, SMS and budget. He also tracked NIMPs that were available when injuries happened. He brought in a number of current and past players both IMPs and non imports.

He was fired a couple of years ago & isn't working in the CFL. I think that may say a lot about what others in the league think of him.

According to the media he was so well respected throughout the league that other teams were outraged when his contract wasn't renewed and with his experience he would be hired by another team quickly and yet, like you said, he isn't working in the league.