Irving says...

NotoriousBIG

Lets see how the season ends before we decide.

I think we already know. The question is will we or the Eskimos win more games this season?

And by losing the most games, we win the race to see who gets to draft the first guy that ends up going to the NFL and getting injured/PR'd next year, aka the CFL draft.

I think we already know. The question is will we or the Eskimos win more games this season?

And by losing the most games, we win the race to see who gets to draft the first guy that ends up going to the NFL and getting injured/PR'd next year, aka the CFL draft.

Geez, I hope we don't have that same dumb argument from "certain" posters who think we should lose gracefully in order to secure that 1st pick.

Geez, I hope we don't have that same dumb argument from "certain" posters who think we should lose gracefully in order to secure that 1st pick.

you and i both know its gonna happen again.. hell, if we were in a tie for second, some people would choose to lose to get a better pick...

its an odd mentality i tells ya.

While I like the fact that Walters and co. are being proactive, something Mack wasn't known for, I don't like the idea of signing/bringing in guys just to say you are.

Bomber fans deserve a proven winner, someone that has the odds in favour of creating a winning tradition. No more unknowns or future's until the ship is righted.

With each passing week it looks more and more likely that Miller will stay on as C.E.O, Walters as the permenant G.M and Burke as the HC, which IMO is depressing.

So all these guys that have been brought in, are they signed to a 1+1 and are therefore then free agents because of the expansion draft?

Or do we have these guys signed with the ability to retain/protect them at the expansion draft?

If they sign a 1+1 this year, they won't be free agents until next off-season... a year after the expansion draft.

While I like the fact that Walters and co. are being proactive, something Mack wasn't known for, I don't like the idea of signing/bringing in guys just to say you are.

Bomber fans deserve a proven winner, someone that has the odds in favour of creating a winning tradition. No more unknowns or future's until the ship is righted.

With each passing week it looks more and more likely that Miller will stay on as C.E.O, Walters as the permenant G.M and Burke as the HC, which IMO is depressing.

Why with each passing week? What is happening here that is making you think this way?

Why with each passing week? What is happening here that is making you think this way?

That's what I didn't quite get either.

What were people expecting? A weekly presser to update fans on the goings-on of their GM hunt?

Unfortunately, I am of the mind that this decision is already decided.

Walters will continue to sign like crazy, Blue will win one or two more games, and everyone will say "Boy that Walters kid works hard!"

And with that we'll have our new GM. 

I realize the Bombers haven't given us anything to look forward to this year... but your negativity and being resigned to us absolutely making the wrong decisions for the wrong reasons is impossible to listen to anymore.

GM's have never, and will never be judged based on how hard they work.  I know janitors, painters, drywallers, and roofers that work harder than most people.  There's a reason those guys aren't CFL GM's.  It's because there is so much more to it than how hard you work.  It's how smart you work, how you put the right people in the right roles to do a great job, how you deal with the **** that flies across your desk daily, and probably most importantly, good judgment.  Among many, many other things you and I have no idea about.

Don't think for a second the Bombers will leave him in charge just because he's a hardworking, relentless birddog.  There's lots of those in football... they're called scouts.  And scouting is only one part of the job.

Give your consistently negative head a shake.

Walters will continue to sign like crazy, Blue will win one or two more games, and everyone will say "Boy that Walters kid works hard!"

I realize the Bombers haven't given us anything to look forward to this year... but your negativity and being resigned to us absolutely making the wrong decisions for the wrong reasons is impossible to listen to anymore.

GM's have never, and will never be judged based on how hard they work.  I know janitors, painters, drywallers, and roofers that work harder than most people.  There's a reason those guys aren't CFL GM's.  It's because there is so much more to it than how hard you work.  It's how smart you work, how you put the right people in the right roles to do a great job, how you deal with the **** that flies across your desk daily, and probably most importantly, good judgment.  Among many, many other things you and I have no idea about.

Don't think for a second the Bombers will leave him in charge just because he's a hardworking, relentless birddog.  There's lots of those in football... they're called scouts.  And scouting is only one part of the job.

So, do you have a crystal ball or something? Like, what makes what you say the truth? You don't know either.

So, do you have a crystal ball or something? Like, what makes what you say the truth? You don't know either.

I get the impression he's mentally blocked the Mike Kelly and Joe Mack hires from his memory.

Can't say I blame him either. 

I get the impression he's mentally blocked the Mike Kelly and Joe Mack hires from his memory.

The only crystal balling I see is from you two, not the Armchair GM.

You've already anointed the future GM through your fears and expectations...and negativity.

You've already anointed the future GM through your fears and expectations...and negativity.

Bob Irving shares the same opinion. Is he part time palm reader too?

Bob Irving shares the same opinion. Is he part time palm reader too?

Thing is, nobody knows. So, for you to come here & give us a dissertation about how hard work won't lead to a permanent GM position (like you have some inside info)  is negative talk as well. You basically said Walters has no chance. According to you, he could work 18 hour days everyday to the end of the season & won't be the permanent GM. Like I said, that sounds negative to me. Do I want Walters to be our GM? Nope. unless he proves to be the best person available. I'd say hard work will go a long way in hiring a GM so he probably has the inside track. But your line of reasoning as to why Walters won't be hired is totally negative.

I have never not liked Kyle Walters. I have said this once & I will say it again. He seems like a bright guy who certainly understands the CIS draft. He is a great asset for us to have. I just believe that we'd be better served & ultimately more successful if we hire someone with experience at that position & has built winners in the past. I'm thinking of Tom Higgins but not thinking of Eric Tillman for obvious reasons.

If wanting a guy like Tom Higgins over Kyle Walters is considered being negative by some then so be it.

Apparently Irving said on the broadcast (I didn't hear this myself) that he thinks Miller and Walters will remain in their current roles next season.

BriceDream, on 05 Sept 2013 - 4:36 PM, said:

"Bob Irving shares the same opinion. Is he part time palm reader too?"

"will remain in their current roles"   (which are 'acting' roles I believe)

I don't know if that is Bob Irving sharing the same opinion and that the Bombers are going to do the same old, same old.

Mr Dee, staying in their current roles doesn't mean they'll be interm in perpetuity. Nor does it mean new people will come in this season & take over their interim duties. It means Bob believes that the word "interim" will be changed to "permanent".

No, it doesn't mean new people will come in this year.

Of course not.

But for both of you to say 'what will be will be' is not que sera sera and especially since this thread was started with at least 2nd hand information.

And for you to say what Bob believes, without even hearing what he said, is laughable.

Armchair GM is entitled to his opinion, as are you two.

Everything, at this point, is conjecture.

On that I think we can all agree.

Apologies, I should have made my point clear.

While I do like seeing Walters be pro active, I can honestly see the current executive team seeing that as enough and hand over the job to him, which seems to be the norm around here.

With Miller already in place and depending on if the Board is behind him or not, he'll likely keep the job as well.

As for Burke, his "I'm doing the best I can with what I have" mantra may ring true with Walters and Miller, hence why I believe he'll stick around, that and Burke has 2 years left on his deal after this season IIRC.

I don't see the Bombers board adding yet another pay cheque for a former employee to the tab.

I should however point out that I don't believe Miller and Walters are terrible or would be terrible at the permenant positions, but instead of just keeping people in place, the Bombers Board should ensure that the right people are put in place, "an exhaustive" search lead to the hiring of Mack (only Barker, Mack and Taman were on the list). I hope I'm not the only one that found it a bit odd that Miller was hired the same day Buchko was fired, so clearly their "exhaustive search" which lead to Buchko (whom I still support) not being the right guy and Miller now being "that guy".

A legitimate search and interview process should be done for all 3 positions, and if Miller, Walters and heck even Burke prove to be the guys, then they deserve the job, but seeing as I have little to no faith in the current Board I don't see this happening at all..............................Maybe I should just wait until the off season.

Honestly I think Miller is a fine choice for the role he is in. I just want to see them identify the best candidate for GM and hire that person. Then that GM can bring in his own head coach because if we go with Burke next year it'll be another wasted year as he finds more excuses for why the team can't get up to play games. 

Honestly I think Miller is a fine choice for the role he is in. I just want to see them identify the best candidate for GM and hire that person. Then that GM can bring in his own head coach because if we go with Burke next year it'll be another wasted year as he finds more excuses for why the team can't get up to play games. 

What else could Burke possibly come up with ???