Walters Presser

Taynted_Fayth

Walters says the team will refocus its scouting efforts on NFL camps, too, more than free-agent camps in the U.S.

Read this in an article that was written re: his presser

This seems obvious to me. You want to scout the guys who have already met the pre-requisite of being viewed as potential pro players. Isolate the ones who won't cut it in the NFL. Stop with this free agent stuff where you get every guy who caught a pass in college showing up.

There's value in both - but scouting NFL camps means basically half the work is done for you.

16 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Players aren't as available as they used to be. NFL teams try to hide their last cuts. Larger rosters, more teams etc. Can't compare the 80's to today. 

I hear you ISO, yet I see teams like Montreal and Calgary continually finding players, despite the changes down south.  Winnipeg used to be a great destination for talent, which is why we consistently fielded great teams during that era.  I don't know what happened.  Maybe it was when Reinebold took over from Cal, but someone severed that pipeline, and we've really sucked ever since (with a few flashes of greatness here and there).

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I hear you ISO, yet I see teams like Montreal and Calgary continually finding players, despite the changes down south.  Winnipeg used to be a great destination for talent, which is why we consistently fielded great teams during that era.  I don't know what happened.  Maybe it was when Reinebold took over from Cal, but someone severed that pipeline, and we've really sucked ever since (with a few flashes of greatness here and there).

Scouting plain & simple. It just has to  be better than it is.

Great comment, just call Walters Captain Obvious on the success of his scouting dept. he can thro that crew under the bus but he better be careful he hired the crew he threw under the bus. Start firing bullets at people and you risk getting hit by one of your own on the ricochet 

If Walters wanted to know Dressler's reasoning for signing with Wpg. he might have just asked him.

Quotes from Dressler

“A lot of the interest started with my relationship with Coach LaPo. Him being the Offensive Coordinator and having worked with him in the past, I’m very comfortable with his system and what he brings to the table,” explained the two-time CFL All-Star. “I understand how his offence works and the spots where I would be best utilized in my opinion, and that’s really the same opinion that he has to develop me as a player.”

Dressler received calls from both LaPolice and Willy in the past few weeks, which contributed to his ultimate decision. “They expressed how much they wanted me to be there and be a part of what they’re trying to do. It meant a lot to me to hear from those guys throughout the whole process,” said Dressler. “They were genuinely interested in having me be a part of that team.”

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If Walters wanted to know Dressler's reasoning for signing with Wpg. he might have just asked him.

Quotes from Dressler

“A lot of the interest started with my relationship with Coach LaPo. Him being the Offensive Coordinator and having worked with him in the past, I’m very comfortable with his system and what he brings to the table,” explained the two-time CFL All-Star. “I understand how his offence works and the spots where I would be best utilized in my opinion, and that’s really the same opinion that he has to develop me as a player.”

Dressler received calls from both LaPolice and Willy in the past few weeks, which contributed to his ultimate decision. “They expressed how much they wanted me to be there and be a part of what they’re trying to do. It meant a lot to me to hear from those guys throughout the whole process,” said Dressler. “They were genuinely interested in having me be a part of that team.”

Thank god for those two. Walters is about as personable as a dead clam.

9 hours ago, Mike said:

Read this in an article that was written re: his presser

This seems obvious to me. You want to scout the guys who have already met the pre-requisite of being viewed as potential pro players. Isolate the ones who won't cut it in the NFL. Stop with this free agent stuff where you get every guy who caught a pass in college showing up.

There's value in both - but scouting NFL camps means basically half the work is done for you.

This strategy will provide players as late season replacements for 2016 and training camp depth for the 2017 season. But it wont do much for filling out the 2016 training camp roster.  

What's the plan for training camp 2016?

Edited by B-F-F-C
spelling

31 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Whatever the system or magic formula other teams seem to have done a better job finding new talent, supplying their teams with depth and being able to mplug and play due to injury. It is now time to produce or perish.

Scouting. The ability to find players. The plug n play is depth. Guys that can get a PR spot but are ready to play if needed. We don't have that. Haven't had the people who could find the talent we needed. That has to really change this season.

7 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I've spoken with him a few times and he's a really nice, intelligent guy. Much more so than Wade in my opinion.

His public speaking would not lend credence to your statement. I, personally, have no interest in talking with any of the brass as I would more than likely not be able to contain my displeasure in their lack of moving this team ahead. They talk a good game but it is high time they get on field production. 

If I could separate the person from the job, like if I knew him before he became bomber staff, I might feel differently but if I talked to him now it would be as a very disgruntled customer.

Whenever, I have seen Wade he has mostly looked surly so I would have to agree with you there ;)

1 hour ago, Dragon37 said:

His public speaking would not lend credence to your statement. I, personally, have no interest in talking with any of the brass as I would more than likely not be able to contain my displeasure in their lack of moving this team ahead. They talk a good game but it is high time they get on field production. 

If I could separate the person from the job, like if I knew him before he became bomber staff, I might feel differently but if I talked to him now it would be as a very disgruntled customer.

Whenever, I have seen Wade he has mostly looked surly so I would have to agree with you there ;)

I'm betting that the feeling would be mutual.