Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

With one year contracts now being the standard, it's difficult to see how throwing big money at a player with NFL ambitions or best in position is a smart solution to any problems.  Receive one year of production and face the same problem retaining or filling the hole they leave behind the next year. 

With half the players testing free agency, retaining the best is a difficult task as long as there are a few desperate teams looking for a rebuild every year that are willing to throw money around.  Westerman, should be watching the bidding war for Laurent with his eyes wide open this year as he has the opportunity to become the highest paid D-lineman in the CFL by next year.

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd prefer Kenny Stafford over Grant in the taller receiver category.

6'3", 205, and 25 yo. Yeah, he'd be a nice target for Willy. It would be good to get him away from the Eskies too. The point is, we need some size. I'd like to see us throwing around somebody else's DBs like rag-dolls for a change.

Edited by J5V

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Correct, they are taking care of the 100m deficit.

Did they announce the money figures from last season yet?

If you are referring to the stadium, then that is not a deficit. It could become a deficit if the stadium falls down or something, but is not a deficit at this point and time because the Bomber's share of the stadium has to be considered an asset. One could make the argument that the interest is a deficit, I suppose, if you were to argue that the stadium represents no earning potential.

Edited by gcn11

33 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Chick signs in HAM for 160. Meanwhile it's still not Jones' fault for failing to get a deal done with Chick and Dressler.

Who has said it was Jones' fault? Even at RiderFans they weren't blaming Jones from what I read when they were first released. 

3 hours ago, Jacquie said:

Who has said it was Jones' fault? Even at RiderFans they weren't blaming Jones from what I read when they were first released. 

That's what I meant. Rider fans are defending Jones at all cost even in light of Chick's new contract.

Quite evident Jones had no use for him. But rather than simply admit he wanted to go younger and cheaper at the position he made the official company line "we had no choice" and let Taman's battered corpse and Chick's greedy agent take all the fall out.

And Rider fans are accomodating him right on cue. 

2 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

I just can't see Hamilton letting Laurent get away while signing 33 yr old John Chick whose best days are behind him.

I think they signed Chick just with that in mind...IF Laurent hasn't been re-signed by Feb. 9th, you can bet there is going to be some tremendous offers coming in for Laurent....more than what the Cats can stomach...I hope we are one of the bigger forces in driving that price up if not the biggest.

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 9:12 AM, DR. CFL said:

Jones is discarding what he believes are overpriced players and has confidence in his abilities and Murphy's abilities to actually go out and find players. Popp, Barker, Murhpy, Tillman and Paul Jones have all demonstrated the ability to find players the key to any team's success.

Perhaps you need to be reminded that Tillman traded the best deep passer in the league for the worst then for good measure traded a first round pick for Brody McKnight among other brilliant moves. You're reading way too much Riderfan propaganda if you believe Tillman has any usable  skills.