Around the NHL

Fun Fact:  Dustin Penner's pantry is wall to wall Corn Pops.  Every morning he walks in and says "Thanks Kevin Lowe".  Whatever does not get eaten that day will be thrown out Friar Tuck style.  It's a fresh box tomorrow.  Nothing but the freshest Corn Pops for Dustin Penner.

10 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Fun Fact:  Dustin Penner's pantry is wall to wall Corn Pops.  Every morning he walks in and says "Thanks Kevin Lowe".  Whatever does not get eaten that day will be thrown out Friar Tuck style.  It's a fresh box tomorrow.  Nothing but the freshest Corn Pops for Dustin Penner.

ZviHgt.gif

43 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The rumour is Vegas. Both are soft landing spots but Vegas is probably more likely to pay the expansion fee so relocation to Quebec makes sense. 

Also Eklund reports the Rumor is not true. So it's true for sure. 

Relocation fee will be near the expansion fee, I'm pretty sure. 

Board at Quebecor says purchasing a team is not in the plans right now. But when did we start trusting Mulroney again? 

I can't see anyone spending $700M+ (CDN) for a team right now to put them in Quebec City. How would you ever make that back? 

Interesting.  As the world turns really. Think Quebec City would be expansion if true and Carolina off to Vegas.  Makes sense. Gives Vegas basically a decent team to start with. Decent. Not great. Like Atlanta when they moved here. Decent pieces but needed some work 

37 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

According to the morning show on 1290, we've all been pronouncing Laine wrong.  It's "Line".  They played a clip of Laine introducing himself.

A very clever caller just mentioned that perhaps Canadians are just adding "eh" to the end.

"Line", eh?

14 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Seems like some bloggers are bored as I am seeing stories about how Laine might be too Kane-like for Winnipeg. 

that's definitely my concern. As soon as I heard him say that he's comparable to Ovechkin and Matthews comparable to Toews, I nearly started to cry...

Eichel said he should go 1 last year. Nobody said anything about it.  It's media and people trying hard to create storylines that just aren't there. Laine is a kid having fun. Nothing wrong with that. Not kane like at all. 

Laine has said he believes he should go number one because he had the best season. That's hard to argue. I think he has had the best season out of his draft class.

However, that's certainly not how scouting works. And the Leafs need a number one centre.

Edited by JCon
EDIT: Replaced recruiting with draft. College football on my mind.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don't get why we'd deal Trouba for a forward. We already have too many.

Edmonton wants a defenseman.  Trouba may (actually have no clue) want more money than he is worth.  If so, let Edmonton over-pay him, and give us a top six forward in return via the draft, and then go grab a defenceman in free agency to replace Trouba.  Just my two cents. 

This is precisely what makes the Trouba trade speculation so ludicrous to me....if he wants too much money...if his demands are too high...if his agent is a ******....if he thinks LA is more appealing than Wpg.

IFS, IFS, IFS...

Here's what we do know: 2 relatively recent, and very comparable contracts signed were Morgan Reilly at 6 years, $5M AAV and Olli Maata at 6 years, $4.1 AAV.  IF ALL GOES TO PLAN - hammer out a deal somewhere around those figures, and get to more pressing issues.  Simple. Done. 

Sure, I expect Chevy and co. to be able to navigate through the finer details better than I. And perhaps it is:  (too much $ demanded + no long term desire to be here + they don't like him) = trade.  That whole conversation just seems way to speculatory at this point for my liking. 

Yes but often where there is smoke, there's fire.  If there is speculation that Trouba's demands are high, that the Jets dont like his fitness commitment, if Trouba isnt a fan of the city etc...there are probably elements of truth to it.  Remember, everyone covered up for Kane and he had been asking for a trade since Day One.

But really, its perfectly reasonable for people to discuss a player the caliber and potential of Trouba when his contract is up.  Happens all over the league so Winnipeg is no exception.  But because we're Winnipeg we always have to deal with the added speculation concerning money and desire to live here. 

Then again, why on earth would someone, if they hate Winnipeg, want to play in Edmonton?

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes but often where there is smoke, there's fire.  If there is speculation that Trouba's demands are high, that the Jets dont like his fitness commitment, if Trouba isnt a fan of the city etc...there are probably elements of truth to it.  Remember, everyone covered up for Kane and he had been asking for a trade since Day One.

But really, its perfectly reasonable for people to discuss a player the caliber and potential of Trouba when his contract is up.  Happens all over the league so Winnipeg is no exception.  But because we're Winnipeg we always have to deal with the added speculation concerning money and desire to live here. 

Then again, why on earth would someone, if they hate Winnipeg, want to play in Edmonton?

1704050871_4490304210001_connor-mcdavid-