Around the NHL

36 minutes ago, Goalie said:

In closer to home NHL/AHL news, Rumors have Pascal Vincent becoming the next head coach of the Moose. Interesting if true, cuz he was in charge of our PP and PK the last few years and hasn't really done a good job, The only positive i could think of would be we'd have a new guy in charge, Jets that is. 

That would be interesting.  I guess it would be one way to make sure the Moose are using the Jets' systems.  And a way to replace him without eating his salary.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

In closer to home NHL/AHL news, Rumors have Pascal Vincent becoming the next head coach of the Moose. Interesting if true, cuz he was in charge of our PP and PK the last few years and hasn't really done a good job, The only positive i could think of would be we'd have a new guy in charge, Jets that is. 

Opens the door for Hawerchuk to become an assistant.

I think his youngest kid is 18 and I'm not sure if he is still coaching him this upcoming season. As soon as he isn't coaching him, he will be open to offers and Winnipeg would definitely be his first choice.

sidenote: Only NHL player to reach 1000 career NHL games before age 31.

Difference of opinions...not first, not last.

All I am saying is if the Jets offered him an assistant's position and he isn't coaching his son, I think he would accept the offer. I am sure there is a clause in his current contract that would address this issue. His wife is from Gimli and he has said numerous times that he loved living here and grew from a teenager to a man here and some of his best memories are from here.

Yeah, I'm well aware of what he's said and all that stuff. I just don't think he comes across as a guy who would sign a new contract a month or 2 ago only to leave that team for an assitant role with the Jets 2 months later. I'd be happy if he did but... I'm just doubting that he will. Like i said, I fully expect Hawerchuk to one day be a coach of some kind with the JETS, i just don't think it will be now. 3 years from now? For sure. Now tho? Probably not. Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if he did but i just don't see him being the type of guy to sign a new deal not long ago to stay in Barrie only to leave 2 months later. 

I would suspect that if there is mutual interest, the Jets and Dale have had informal conversations in the past.  There is obviously a good relationship there.  So if his contract was up recently, one would think they would have talked about the future at that point..if both sides wanted to do something.

I guess reporters get bored and come up with wild grade suggestions.  This one is hilarious. 

ESPN.COM:  Rob Vollman makes the case for the Washington Capitals to trade left wing Alex Ovechkin as a means of shaking things up, citing Ovechkin’s age (he’ll turn 31 this fall), his expensive contract (nearly $10 million annually) and the inevitable decline of his skills. He suggests the Winnipeg Jets as a trade partner, citing their available cap space, that they’re holding the second-overall pick in this year’s draft, that Ovechkin could skate alongside Mark Scheifele and Blake Wheeler and the Jets need for offense. He notes Ovechkin has a limited no-trade clause in which he lists 10 acceptable trade destinations, noting the Jets might not be on that list. Still, they’re just one example of several clubs that could be interested in acquiring him. While Vollman expects the Capitals won’t trade their captain, if a club like the Jets comes calling he thinks they should at least listen.

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I guess reporters get bored and come up with wild grade suggestions.  This one is hilarious. 

ESPN.COM:  Rob Vollman makes the case for the Washington Capitals to trade left wing Alex Ovechkin as a means of shaking things up, citing Ovechkin’s age (he’ll turn 31 this fall), his expensive contract (nearly $10 million annually) and the inevitable decline of his skills. He suggests the Winnipeg Jets as a trade partner, citing their available cap space, that they’re holding the second-overall pick in this year’s draft, that Ovechkin could skate alongside Mark Scheifele and Blake Wheeler and the Jets need for offense. He notes Ovechkin has a limited no-trade clause in which he lists 10 acceptable trade destinations, noting the Jets might not be on that list. Still, they’re just one example of several clubs that could be interested in acquiring him. While Vollman expects the Capitals won’t trade their captain, if a club like the Jets comes calling he thinks they should at least listen.

Similar to the inevitable decline of Jagr's skills...?

Love it - Ovie has a bad contract and he's going to lose a step so lets trade him to the Jets.

12 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Similar to the inevitable decline of Jagr's skills...?

Love it - Ovie has a bad contract and he's going to lose a step so lets trade him to the Jets.

Yeah...I mean okay, if the reporter feels the Caps' window is closing, sure trade Ovi.  But why on earth would the Jets trade #2 for a 31 year old with a $10m+ contract?  This sounds like some reporter saw a lot of people saying Laine reminds them of Ovi and he thought 'hey it would be nice if the Caps could trade old Ovi for young Ovi and save $10m in the process'.

58 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

No one should be belittling her or anything but there is *some* personal responsibility for wearing a very low cut top in a place you know will be widely seen.  She cant claim she wasnt looking for attention.  That being said, again, I think fun is fun but only in a POSITIVE manner.  Its almost like if those body suit wearing guys got upset because people mentioned how their outfits leave nothing to the imagination...

Im not a hate Ovi guy.  He's a great great great talent and continues to improve his game.  Would he look great in a Jets jersey?  Absolutely.  But does it make sense long term for the Jets?  Not at all.   If the Jets were contenders and Ovi had 2-3 years left, sure...consider it.  But trade a potential franchise player (#2) for a guy that will be fun to watch but likely never bring deep Playoff success here for $10m/season?  Just makes zero sense for the Jets.

And ofcourse, why would Ovi come here?  Not a chance.  Some reporter looking for teams who can afford Ovi plus have something the Caps would want. 

17 hours ago, Noeller said:

If all you do is shoot, wherever you are on the ice, eventually they're going to go in...can't stand that guy. He lives up to every stereotype of Russian hockey players.

Bullshit. The guy plays his balls off. He was an offensive glory boy early in his career, but not anymore. Their loss to the Pens certainly can't be pinned on him.

A guy like Semin fits the stereotype, and there is no comparison between those two players..

Edit: Regarding your first sentence, if this was true Evander Kane would be a star. Ovie leads the league in shots every year and still has a career shooting % over 12%

Edited by sweep the leg