Grey Cup Halftime Show is Fall Out Boy

mikey d

This isn't rock and roll, typical budget CFL get.

Who says it's gotta be rock and roll?

Nobody, I guess this is my own personal bias. I just find it annoying that they classify themselves as a rock act when it's not even close to rock n roll. Tweeny music. Is their any actual fans of "fall out boy" if someone can name 3 songs by this band without Google search I'll be impressed

The half time show isn't for the people in the stadium. The last thing they want is people glued to their seats at half time. The half time show is for TV and that makes Fall Out Boy a perfect choice for their broadcast. I could get into a longwinded explanation about how bands like this or Justin Bieber etc. sell mega amounts of advertising because of the viewers they attract...but I will assume we all know that. 

Rock as we used to know it is dead pretty much

Rock died sometime in the late 80's and early 90's. There were a few grunge bands that managed to keep rock and roll alive somewhat...but sadly they too were overtaken by the autotuned/computer super-produced music we have had ever since. Why do 50000 people show up for an AC/DC concert? Because even though there music is as old as the hills they have the actual musical ability to play a live show successfully. Unfortunately, not many bands do anymore without lip-synching and computer generated autocorrection of their musical misteps.

This isn't rock and roll, typical budget CFL get.

Who says it's gotta be rock and roll?

Nobody, I guess this is my own personal bias. I just find it annoying that they classify themselves as a rock act when it's not even close to rock n roll. Tweeny music. Is their any actual fans of "fall out boy" if someone can name 3 songs by this band without Google search I'll be impressed

How many actual rock acts are there anymore? Not very many. 

I blame much music, when I was a kid it was diverse, u had every genre of music given time, tons of worth watching live shows like intimate & interactive, then it went 95% aimed at teen girls. As such a ton of musical exposure was reduced and even now with power97 gone, theres more classic rock then ever before, instead of 1 station keeping current rock showcased. Perhaps this is why we dont hear fallout boy, especially since power n now bigfm are bomber game day sponsers, im sure theyd have gotten behind some fallout boy as power97, bigfm is waaay too oldies sadly

"My my, hey hey,

Rock and roll is here to stay"

Rock and roll will never die so long as there are weekend warrior musicians playing for beer money in a seedy bar doing cover versions of classic rock out of a crappy PA.....and absolutely ROCKING the place. The heart of rock and roll is still alive at the grass roots....it just hasn't survived at the top levels.

"My my, hey hey,

Rock and roll is here to stay"

Rock and roll will never die so long as there are weekend warrior musicians playing for beer money in a seedy bar doing cover versions of classic rock out of a crappy PA.....and absolutely ROCKING the place. The heart of rock and roll is still alive at the grass roots....it just hasn't survived at the top levels.

http://youtu.be/X_IWlPHMziU

I blame much music, when I was a kid it was diverse, u had every genre of music given time, tons of worth watching live shows like intimate & interactive, then it went 95% aimed at teen girls. As such a ton of musical exposure was reduced and even now with power97 gone, theres more classic rock then ever before, instead of 1 station keeping current rock showcased. Perhaps this is why we dont hear fallout boy, especially since power n now bigfm are bomber game day sponsers, im sure theyd have gotten behibd some fallout boy as power97, bigfm is waaay too oldies

I blame CD's, DJ companies, and the hospitality industry. They took away all the live venues from the bands. When any clown could suddenly become a DJ and spin digital quality tracks it was a death blow to many, many bands ability to simply rock and learn how to bond with their audience early in their musical careers. The bands were able to eliminate the "cheese" from their music through automatic fan feedback. Now bands are pumping out what they think is rock....but doesn't survive the rock quality test from fans. Largely because the bands never had an opportunity for feedback from anyone other than a record producer looking to make a dollar through a tightly constructed tunnel vision of what they think music needs to be in order to profit.

Nickelback sold records? Let's make a hundred more just like them.

No more concept albums...no more genius arrangements like Stairway to Heaven...too hard to get radio airplay for them.

I can somewhat agree about the venue thing, but its more about lack of attendence. Friends of mine have quit playing in recent years because of low turn outs. It wasnt making them anything, in fact costing them sometimes. Not because they sucked, but the music scene in winnipeg is and has been a very friend oriented thing, ur buddys come watch u maybe bring a few ppl, other bands come watch, or bring the same if their on the bill. But life happens, work, kids..ect and those numbers get affected then slow death. Im going to sound old but when I was a kid, I used to go to random shows with friends at ozzys or the westend cultural center n see cool acts like kittens, guy smiley, mung.. and so on. Never even heard them before, biggest thing was they were all age shows. Now bands play or played the zoo (done apparently) the albert..places where kids/teens cant go. How are they gonna get into it if they cant get in to it

There are tons of rock bands.... some really good ones, but it's really tough for any band or musician, no matter what they play, rock, folk, country, pop, to make money these days.

No gigs, low pay, lack of interest.

Pay for bands hasn't increased since the seventies.

Big Wreck is a great band with a Canadian singer.

Just no money in it anymore. Almost impossible to make even a meagre living.

Most musicians have to support themselves doing something else, housepainting for instance.

People aren't very interested in music these days. At least nothing like they were in the past. 

Rock died sometime in the late 80's and early 90's. There were a few grunge bands that managed to keep rock and roll alive somewhat...but sadly they too were overtaken by the autotuned/computer super-produced music we have had ever since. Why do 50000 people show up for an AC/DC concert? Because even though there music is as old as the hills they have the actual musical ability to play a live show successfully. Unfortunately, not many bands do anymore without lip-synching and computer generated autocorrection of their musical misteps.

It's Ryan Seacrest's fault. He's to blame. Well, someone has to be the Fall Guy.

Rock died sometime in the late 80's and early 90's.

Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact.

u must be a grand funk railroad fan

Just heard 'em last week on the King Biscuit Flour Hour....

wrong on so many levels... people who think "rock is dead" is a major pet peeve of mine... I agree the medium for rock music is limited... if you want to find good music, you have to put a little effort in...

here's a good tip... trust what your favourite artists from the 60s and 70s are saying/doing... for example, one of the main reasons I went to AC/DC is b/c Vintage Trouble is one of my favourite bands... one of the major reasons I'm going to Black Sabbath (along with the fact that they are awesome) is that the Rival Sons are one of my favourite bands... find a band you like and let the YouTube wormhole take you from there!

so incredibly untrue, I don't even know where to begin.... just cuz someone doesn't walk up to you and slap you in the face, doesn't mean they don't exist...

But this is pretty much the point, not everyone wants to do the legwork to find music and rock as a genre that gets lots of airplay in the popular mediums? Not much. 

so incredibly untrue, I don't even know where to begin.... just cuz someone doesn't walk up to you and slap you in the face, doesn't mean they don't exist...

But this is pretty much the point, not everyone wants to do the legwork to find music and rock as a genre that gets lots of airplay in the popular mediums? Not much. 

*media

But yes, New Rock radio sucks.....and it's Rock-ness is questionable, at best. 

I still think you would see a rejuvenation in the music scene with more all age shows. you get the kids hooked on real, live and good music, and you set up their bar star days nicely in them wanting to go to more shows. kids only growing up with what they're force fed from much music,  the radio, and pop culture are so badly being led away from anything but your swifts, drakes and biebers.   sad days upon us my friends

** 92's gotten a little more current with the demise of power97 but still too much classic rock.  I believe once a person gets into a band or bands they can call "their own" and not so much their parents music, they do eventually look deeper into those bands roots and the history of music is brought back to life. but it takes steps.