Grey Cup Halftime Show is Fall Out Boy

mikey d

This isn't rock and roll, typical budget CFL get.

Who says it's gotta be rock and roll?

Nobody, I guess this is my own personal bias. I just find it annoying that they classify themselves as a rock act when it's not even close to rock n roll. Tweeny music. Is their any actual fans of "fall out boy" if someone can name 3 songs by this band without Google search I'll be impressed

The half time show isn't for the people in the stadium. The last thing they want is people glued to their seats at half time. The half time show is for TV and that makes Fall Out Boy a perfect choice for their broadcast. I could get into a longwinded explanation about how bands like this or Justin Bieber etc. sell mega amounts of advertising because of the viewers they attract...but I will assume we all know that.

My point is I don't think there are really that many "actual fans" of fall out boy. Certainly not enough to "tune in" to see them play the half time show. Who the **** cares that band you know a song from the radio is playing a show? No one. You want other people to tune in, book a real act.

Rock as we used to know it is dead pretty much

so incredibly untrue, I don't even know where to begin.... just cuz someone doesn't walk up to you and slap you in the face, doesn't mean they don't exist...

But this is pretty much the point, not everyone wants to do the legwork to find music and rock as a genre that gets lots of airplay in the popular mediums? Not much. 

I completely agree... like I mentioned in another post... the YouTube wormhole can be a great thing for finding new music... find a few bands you like and it will flow from there....

Rock is dead as we know it. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. However, if you gotta go all computer geek just to find it then rock is truly dead as we know it. There used to be a day when basically any pub or bar on a Friday night and multiple other venues had live entertainment. Didn't matter where you went.

Bands made more money in the 80's then they do now and played more often. I have been involved in the hospitality industry since the mid 80's and I can tell you with certainty that there is no such thing as a professional band anymore. Guys play for beer money now. I can get a band for $400 a night because they are begging for work.

In my experience, it had nothing to do with their buddies not showing up. Anytime I had a live band it was a well attended event. However, I can subscribe to a music service now and pump music through my house PA by hiring a young DJ for $10 an hour and get the same amount of people out. From a business perspective bands became akin to throwing money away.

I still run live bands regularly, because I think my customers prefer it. I don't do it all the time though because it effects profitability. I do know of many hoteliers who just don't care about the medium. They believe bands are too high maintenance and cost for what it's worth and prefer to go dark and maximize profits vs. generating them. An approach that I can't say is wrong as both can result in healthy bottom lines. If customers were to stop coming out for the canned music that would change. People are happy having music services playing top 40 dance tracks because they simply don't know any better and don't realize this is one big cheap out by the bar they are going too. Stop going to these venues or start demanding more for your $5 cover charge and things might come full circle again.

We complain that rock is dead as we know it.....we are the ones that killed it.

Rock as we used to know it is dead pretty much

so incredibly untrue, I don't even know where to begin.... just cuz someone doesn't walk up to you and slap you in the face, doesn't mean they don't exist...

But this is pretty much the point, not everyone wants to do the legwork to find music and rock as a genre that gets lots of airplay in the popular mediums? Not much. 

*media

But yes, New Rock radio sucks.....and it's Rock-ness is questionable, at best. 

Actually medium is the right word.... FM radio, TV and satellite streaming are 3 different mediums for music...

Im a fan of metal. Metal still churns out lots of new stuff and imo stuff worth listening. Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, Hellyeah, Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold mixed in with some heavier stuff and lighter stuff for good measure.. Works for me and if you follow american music charts or sat radio stations you see its alive and well.

Best "rock" band ive seen in ages tho is Volbeat.

Im a fan of metal. Metal still churns out lots of new stuff and imo stuff worth listening. Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, Hellyeah, Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold mixed in with some heavier stuff and lighter stuff for good measure.. Works for me and if you follow american music charts or sat radio stations you see its alive and well.

Best "rock" band ive seen in ages tho is Volbeat.

I absolutely hate the singers voice