Week 13 - Edm 25 Ham 18 & Ott 30 Sask. 27

Mr Dee

Without Rainey it's 35 7 stamps. Lions aren't good.

Rainey is something tonight.

Player of the game. Record breaking results. Great individual performance.

B.C. Sucks.

Jennings, #10, QB looks to be a battler and throws a nice ball.

No film on him really. Does throw a nice pass but prone to interceptions

Definitely forced some throws but was in a tough position trying to battle back on the Stamps. I think his receivers could have done a better job battling for the ball in the end zone. A couple of those throws were just thrown up there for the best man to come down with. Didn't work out for him or his receivers. Glad the Stamps won but BC looked somewhat dangerous at times battling back to tie it once and Rainey was phenomenal.

So last week we were told the force out rule no longer applies on the Denmark catch. Tonight arcenaux is forced out and doesn't land inside and they ruled it as forced out.

Is this rule gone or not because I'm more confused now. Is it perhaps like American League vs National League in football?

I still think Denmark was robbed of that huge catch.

Good thing the Denmark call didn't have a significant impact on the game.

Occasionally I might be inclined to review the rules of the CFL. That would probably just get me cranked up and angry with the caliber of the refs and command center.

This drives me nuts. But I won't rag on the CFL officials. All officiating everywhere is like that. I remember a couple of years back - in hockey, last game of the year which was setting up the Oilers for yet another first overall pick. They were playing LA (in LA) and Horcoff was going in on goal and got high sticked in the mouth, he was bleeding and the whole bit. Ref was staring right at it. No penalty. Few minutes later, an Oiler put a slight hook on a King for about .5 seconds (literally) and that same Ref called a hooking penalty. Really? Lucky for them the game was in L.A. Meaningless game for the Oilers - the Kings needed the win IIRC to make the playoffs (and they won the Cup) but how can an official get away with that? 

All I've asked for in my officiating is consistency. If it's a penalty on one team (or one player) then the call should be made both ways. One day we'll have robotic refs - won't that be sweet. 

Robotic refs. If someone put their mind to it, brainstormed a bit, for certain there are many decisions that the refs and command centres make that could easily be replaced by some form and placement of chip. Either within balls, sidelines, goal lines, goal posts, triangulation or imagine...

Technology must be there you'd think for the objective stuff, yeah?

Personal fouls, roughing, subjective things might be a challenge to automate.

Pass interference which can have a huge impact on yardage, should have some technological assistance.

KK. Your solution might be right around the corner.

http://mashable.com/2014/07/31/nfl-shoulder-pad-sensors/#hfW72PeomikG

Ironically, the supplier of this technology is:

Zebra.com

So last week we were told the force out rule no longer applies on the Denmark catch. Tonight arcenaux is forced out and doesn't land inside and they ruled it as forced out.

Is this rule gone or not because I'm more confused now. Is it perhaps like American League vs National League in football?

Occasionally I might be inclined to review the rules of the CFL. That would probably just get me cranked up and angry with the caliber of the refs and command center.

This drives me nuts. But I won't rag on the CFL officials. All officiating everywhere is like that. I remember a couple of years back - in hockey, last game of the year which was setting up the Oilers for yet another first overall pick. They were playing LA (in LA) and Horcoff was going in on goal and got high sticked in the mouth, he was bleeding and the whole bit. Ref was staring right at it. No penalty. Few minutes later, an Oiler put a slight hook on a King for about .5 seconds (literally) and that same Ref called a hooking penalty. Really? Lucky for them the game was in L.A. Meaningless game for the Oilers - the Kings needed the win IIRC to make the playoffs (and they won the Cup) but how can an official get away with that?

All I've asked for in my officiating is consistency. If it's a penalty on one team (or one player) then the call should be made both ways. One day we'll have robotic refs - won't that be sweet.

It's Pretty black and white. Does the force out rule exist or not?

It's Pretty black and white. Does the force out rule exist or not?

The force out rule exists. If the official believes the receiver would have landed in bounds if he wasn't pushed or carried out then it is ruled a completed pass. Watching the play at game speed it wasn't obvious whether Denmark would have stayed in bounds if he hadn't been touched. 

As for the Command Centre, making a determination of whether or not a receiver was pushed or carried out of bounds is a non-reviewable play. The only thing the Command Centre could rule on was whether Denmark kept a foot in bounds.

More notes...

Ottawa played one of their finest road games dominating all aspects in their win at B.C. Place. The stat that stuck out the most was their Time of Possession of 41:45. In the 21 seasons since 1995 (when data exists for this result), it was the third highest ever recorded trailing only the record high of 42:14 set by Calgary against Toronto on July 1, 2010 and BC's 41:57 on July 29, 2005 against Calgary. Burris was the QB in both of those games, winning with the Stamps and losing against the Lions.

- The four winning clubs last week outscored their opponents in the final 15:00 by a cumulative 38-13 and all held the scoring edge. For the season, teams that have wound up winning the game had the scoring edge in the 4th Quarter in 32 out 48 games (with many of the other 16 being tied).

Week 12 had one more defensive TD (Winnipeg’s Kahlil Bass with a 59-yard interception return) to raise the CFL total to 26 on pace for 44, just ahead of a record rate (43 in 2004). Bass’ interception return TD was “pick 6” #19 in 2015, the same as the league-wide total all of last season. 

- With a sweep of their back-to-back set with Toronto, Hamilton achieved something they have not had in 23 years. The last time that Hamilton led the East Division by two clear games was at the half-way mark of the 1992 season when they were at 6-3 and Ottawa and Winnipeg were at 4-5. 

Edmonton @ Hamilton- CFL Game of the Week.

Zach Collaros He led Hamilton to a share of #1 overall in the CFL at 8-3. He is now #1 in: yards (3286), TDs (24), Efficiency (113.2), 30+ completions (20), TD% (7%), yards/att (9.4), net offence per drive (29), and 2nd down conversion passes (82).

- Hamilton is 5-1 vs Western teams in 2015 for an .833 pct. and that is among the best they have ever done. One more win would match the club record (1992, 2004) for wins in a season against the West with still 3 more games to go (BC, Calgary & Saskatchewan). It is their best winning % against Western clubs since 1969 (5-0 that year).

Edmonton had 8 turnovers in the first game of 2015 against the Ticats. Hamilton scored 35 points off of those 8 giveaways – the 35 points is highest-ever total since the CFL has tracked this stat (since 2008).

- The Ticats lead the CFL in scoring at 35.6 points per game and that is well ahead of their all-time club record of 33.5 set in 1999. At this point, that is the 12th highest per game points total in CFL history.

- The Eskimos lead the CFL allowing just 285.5 yards per game and are #1 in both components of that – in rushing with just 74.0 yards against and in pass defence at 230.5 yards per game. They are #1 in fewest pts allowed at 17.9/game. 

- This game features the #1 and #3 Combined Yards leaders. Kendial Lawrence has 1,664 yards to lead the league, while Banks has 1,221. In his last game, Banks piled up 173 total yards though in his previous 3 games he had just 243. Last week, Lawrence was held to just 81 total yards by Calgary after a span of 5 games where piled up 193.8 yards per game. 

- In their 8 wins, the Ti-Cats average margin is +22.4 points; their three losses have come by 1, 4 & 3 points. They are 8-0 when reaching 30 points, and 0-3 when they do not get to that mark.

- Justin Medlock - Ranks #1 all-time among Field Goal Kickers with at least 150 attempts with a % of 87.1%.

- Sean Whyte - Ranks #3 all-time among Field Goal Kickers with at least 150 attempts with a % of 83.4% (trailing only Medlock and Rene Paredes). Whyte is 4-of-4 this season since joining the Eskimos two games ago. From 40 yards or less in his career he is now at 141-for-160 and a mark of 91.9%. He now ranks #26 in all-time CFL scoring with 829 career points.

- Edmonton and Hamilton dominate CFL receiving leaders in 2015 and share the distinction of being the only clubs to have three receivers ranked in the Top 13. For Edmonton, Bowman, Stafford & Walker have combined for 131 receptions and 1,839 yards – their yardage is 60% of Edmonton’s team total of 3,077 yards. For Hamilton, Toliver, Tasker & Sinkfield have 117 receptions for 1,773 yards and 13 TDs but of note, the trio has missed 7 games.

- The Ticats have an incredible streak of converting on second going. They have now gone 4 games in a row converting at least 63% of their second down opportunities into a new series (or TD). The CFL has had 2nd down conversions as an official statistic since 2008 and no club has ever approached what the Ticats are doing in 2015. They are at 60.6% through 11 games, almost 6% better than the all-time best set by Montreal in 2008 at 55.0%. Hamilton has converted an incredible 79% of their conversions in the 2nd-&-4 to 6 yard range.

I watched that game last night and I'm still waiting for that high energy, quick-paced tempo game from the Lions...

And, whatever happened to the offensive genius that emanated from the mind of G Cortez?

Looks like a lot of BC players have given up.

Wally just pulled the innards from the Lions in the off season. Tedford is going to be the fall guy when it really should be Buono. I don't think a management change will happen until... if... the Lions are sold as Braley is close to him. Maybe a new owner would want someone else to manage the team. I think the last 3 or 4 years the Lions haven't been very good. Again, that's on Wally. 

collaros reminds me of Clements, and Tom Burgess. 

I just read that Tom Burgess was on same team as Austin that won a grey cup.

Wonder what he's up to now. 

Collaros actually looks like Burgess. 

http://toontownsports.net/cfl-legends-tom-burgess/

I liked Tom Burgess but I think Collaros is a better qb than Burgess who was a streaky qb. Burgess was capable of tremendous highs & lows but overall an average qb. He was Kent Austin's backup for years in Saskatchewan. Burgess was a great game day manager. He didn't have the capability of putting the Bombers on his shoulders like Clements or Brock but he was smart & used the talent around him really well. The Bombers had a very good offensive line, a great defense & special teams in 1990. Burgess was just another cog in the machine that year albeit an important one.