Nichols is the man.

Fatty Liver

If we lost this game, it would be all about the 5 turnovers.  We won, so folks either ignore them or just explain them away.  

The title of this thread is Nichols is the man. That has a very different connotation than Nichols is more than a serviceable backup QB. 

Sure Nichols got hit on the first fumble. It's still up to him to hold onto the ball. Wouldn't be any different if it was Willy or Reilly or any other QB for that matter.

You do realize that you grip the ball differently depending on whether you are preparing to throw or not right?  He was looking down field preparing to throw when he got hit hard from behind.  The majority of the time, he's going to drop the ball, just like any other QB who doesn't have a ginormous hand and/or kung-fu grip.  So the fault of that one is the guy who missed the block allowing the defender to hit the QB on the blindside.  It is not really something you can "coach-up" because he's got to hold the ball that way in order to throw it.  It's on the O line to protect him.  It's not Nichols fault.  

How many of the 1st half TOs were Nichols fault? You gonna put that Adams one on him?

2.. both of his fumbles.
First one Stanley Bryant got burned. I'd blame that one more on Stanley.
And the other on Longo...

He only had one fumble in the pocket, and that was on both guys on the left side, simplest twist in football beat them that time and about 10 other snaps.

The fumble on the Nichols run is on him.  Gotta realize that the guys you ran by as they went upfield are coming back, secure the ball.

Watched it a couple of times now and i don't see a deflection, i see a ball that was thrown slightly behind the receiver but adams did get both of his hands on it... he should have had it...I would put that one on Adams for sure, any time the receiver gets both hands on the ball and doesn't come up with the catch, it's on the receiver.

At your invitation, I watched it a number of times myself. I'm going with ever so slightly deflected, but the only way I could tell was that the trajectory of the ball was going to the front of his hands, then, it was slightly behind, causing a hand position change, a juggle and a somersault by M Harris who might have broke a fingernail on that play. Also, Harris seemed to be celebrating that he was in on the play. Circumstantial evidence to be sure, and that's what you get from 2 different viewings of the same play.

My question is, how long will Nichols survive behind our O-Line?

Nichols is a little more mobile and moves the pocket more than our other QBs this season. Protection, or perceived lack of protection may not be as much of an issue with him.

Just watched that video of Nichols getting sacked and hurt when he was with the Esks. Nas-ty! I think it was Flemons that sacked him and hurt him. It appeared that as Flemons went to the sidelines he had a sick smile on his face when he realized that Nichols was badly injured. Man the Argos sure seem to injure a lot of QBs. I know it's probably against the rules but it makes me wonder if they pay a bounty on injuring QBs or something. Having a quick flashback to Eiben breaking Glenn's arm when he played for us.

Nichols is a little more mobile and moves the pocket more than our other QBs this season. Protection, or perceived lack of protection may not be as much of an issue with him.

Quicker release too.

Quicker release too.
Yes. I might get killed for suggesting this, but I wonder if Nichols is a better fit for this offense than Willy?

Quicker release too.
Yes. I might get killed for suggesting this, but I wonder if Nichols is a better fit for this offense than Willy?

It was one friggin game! When Willy has been healthy he has been a great qb for us!

Quicker release too.

Good point. I wonder who should be backing up who. Let's give Nichols some more games and hope that he doesn't get the crap beat out of him like Willy did.

Quicker release too.

It was one friggin game! When Willy has been healthy he has been a great qb for us!

How much of his time here has Willy been healthy? He played banged up most of last year and same thing this year. It's not like O'Shea believes in giving his QB any recovery time. It was just a matter of time before he got really badly hurt. 

Quicker release too.

Good point. I wonder who should be backing up who. Let's give Nichols some more games and hope that he doesn't get the crap beat out of him like Willy did.
Ya need to see more but some of Nichols qualities seem to really be a nice fit: not as accurate as Willy, but has a quicker release, more mobile and moves the pocket. Willy is more accurate, but isn't very mobile, doesn't move the pocket much and takes longer to release the ball.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I'd just love to have them both signed for a couple years.

Quicker release too.
Ya need to see more but some of Nichols qualities seem to really be a nice fit: not as accurate as Willy, but has a quicker release, more mobile and moves the pocket. Willy is more accurate, but isn't very mobile, doesn't move the pocket much and takes longer to release the ball.

Willy is great but we now know he isn't indestructible. Man, I just wish we could do more to protect our QB. Watching guys like John Chick get free shots on our QB makes me cringe.

It's been a long, long wait but I think Nichols is the reliable backup QB the Bombers have been waiting for.  His game was far from perfect but he showed enough intelligence and understanding of the system in one short week than any other QB has shown in many years.

Bombers are in a good position. If Nichols is so-so for the remainder of the season then no prob, they can let him go when his contract expires at the end of the season. But if Nichols plays well and can make a difference on a bottom rung team like Winnipeg, you can bet he'll demand (and get) starters money from somewhere as a FA next Feb. No way does he want to be a "reliable backup" to Drew Willy or anyone else. If he plays well, then it's likely Bombers will have to choose between him and Willy as the starter for 2016.

It's been a long, long wait but I think Nichols is the reliable backup QB the Bombers have been waiting for. His game was far from perfect but he showed enough intelligence and understanding of the system in one short week than any other QB has shown in many years.

Bombers are in a good position. If Nichols is so-so for the remainder of the season then no prob, they can let him go when his contract expires at the end of the season. But if Nichols plays well and can make a difference on a bottom rung team like Winnipeg, you can bet he'll demand (and get) starters money from somewhere as a FA next Feb. No way does he want to be a "reliable backup" to Drew Willy or anyone else. If he plays well, then it's likely Bombers will have to choose between him and Willy as the starter for 2016.
I'd say that's crazy talk now, but let's say Nichols were to play great in this offense and lead the Bombers to the playoffs. Let's say he won a playoff game. Is the Willy or Nichols debate more legit, if we can only keep one?

Remember, Nichols has been in the league for more than a few years now.  So that being the case, how likely is it that he goes from a guy who ended up 3rd on the Eskimo's depth chart and expendable to a legitimate starter inside 1 year.  The short answer is: he doesn't 

Almost like a guy named Crompton who was 4th on the depth chart and went on to become a 7-1 starter for another team.....   what team did he play for before he joined the Als??

Remember, Nichols has been in the league for more than a few years now.  So that being the case, how likely is it that he goes from a guy who ended up 3rd on the Eskimo's depth chart and expendable to a legitimate starter inside 1 year.  The short answer is: he doesn't 

Almost like a guy named Crompton who was 4th on the depth chart and went on to become a 7-1 starter for another team.....   what team did he play for before he joined the Als??

Coincidentally because the Esks made a mistake thinking that Nichols was better than Crompton.