Open question for MBBers - direction of the franchise

TrueBlue4ever

Wallowing in the depths of a nine team league is unacceptable. I want them to hire someone that knows how to build a proper franchise and not what we have. Stability follows success, not the other way around. Right now I think we have some people in key positions that really have no clue how to run a CFL franchise today. They are thinking back to how it was done in the past and not how it needs to be done now. Until that changes we will keep making bad hires.

nope. we need sustainability.... not one and done.

Hard to build anything sustainable when you are getting crushed by 0-9 teams and don't show any improvement in two years. Walters and MOS have proven they cannot produce a better product. In the time they have been here two teams that were crappy are better and we are still crappy, if not crappier. Face the facts your boys are not the answer. Heck Walters has been here for how long and not done a good job? He sucked as a ST genius, he failed to make an impact as a assistant GM, and he has failed in two years as a GM. Remember this guy is supposed to be some Canadian player guru and yet he has failed massively to have any impact at all of our Canadian talent.

The Bombers in the past 25 years have had just a streak of plain bad luck. Ask yourself this question: "What are the odds of getting a GM like Taman then a coach like Kelly followed by a GM like Joe Mack then a OC like MM with a QB like Brohm?" The odds are probably a million to one. You lay that on any other team and watch what happens to them. 

You couldn't buy back luck like that.

:)

It's sad how this franchise has been run,,,run into the ground...A lot of disenchanted fans out there and when the word 'rebuild' is mentioned their eyes gloss over....NOT AGAIN....Right now it looks like we don't have the right people in place AGAIN to be successful...O'Shea says a three year plan...well we're on year 2 and I don't see a shred of improvement...At this rate Ottawa is on track to win a Cup before us and the riders will have rebuilt and have another one in the cupboard...Disgraceful is a word I'll use and if anyone suggests I'm all doom and gloom., look at the bloody state of the club...Fans seem to have a better grip on what to do with this team..Certainly have spotted incompetence and when nothing is done, it appears management has left us to twist in the wind..Something HAS to change soon or the bad days when this team was in financial trouble will return..A return to just a 'winning franchise' that at least makes post season, never mind a Cup ,would be great... It'll have to start by purging ourselves of incompetence and deadwood and hiring the right people...and yes that word 'rebuild' is front and centre again. Frustrating to say the least for this old fan.

The Bombers in the past 25 years have had just a streak of plain bad luck. Ask yourself this question: "What are the odds of getting a GM like Taman then a coach like Kelly followed by a GM like Joe Mack then a OC like MM with a QB like Brohm?" The odds are probably a million to one. You lay that on any other team and watch what happens to them. 

Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is either hostile action or gross incompetence.

image.png

The only guys on the BOD now who might have been here a long time now are Watchorn and Asper. The rest are pretty new. Not sure who to blame on the BOD but it might be the guy who was going off on a coach a few years back after a game we lost. Initials are DA. I'm pretty certain he's the guy that's been there the longest. The rest outside of Watchorn are pretty new. DA is the one guy who doesn't get replaced it seems. Why is that

People who dont see improvement on our team are out to lunch. Sure, our american content is not great but our canadian talent has improved overall. We are not one injury away from being forced to play a player out of position like before.

I strongly believe that even if walters is canned tomorrow, the ground work for the next GM would be already laid where as every other time its been straight from scratch.

Joe mack drafted 22 players in the cfl draft between 2010 and 2013. With the greaves trade only Jake Thomas remains. That is insane and Def part of the reason for our struggles. Build a team around QB and Canadians... we had neither really when Walters took over.

It's been a few years now since Mack had a crack at a draft and there are guys he drafted playing around the CFL, just that the new GM moved them all out. That's what happens when you change GMs, they bring in their own guys

Apart from holes in the International talent which Walters (and McManus et al) have not filled well, the talent level is overall better than it was under Mack. Where Walters has failed in in the choice of a head coach, and even Wally Buono has not batted 100% there. For Walters, the urgent need of the team is to sign Muamba, a dominant nose tackle, and backup quarterbacks, although that may have been resolved.

Apart from holes in the International talent which Walters (and McManus et al) have not filled well, the talent level is overall better than it was under Mack. Where Walters has failed in in the choice of a head coach, and even Wally Buono has not batted 100% there. For Walters, the urgent need of the team is to sign Muamba, a dominant nose tackle, and backup quarterbacks, although that may have been resolved.

This is a strange comment... except for the places we lack talent the talent is better... Not sure I can agree with that. Walters has more veterans on the team I think but overall I am not sure I can make the statement that the team is more talented now. 

The Board - As I said, this BOD don't care about the fans because they answer to nobody! They care about $$$. So if you want to get their attention, make it about money. Otherwise, expect more of the same.

Wade Miller, President and CEO - As I said, for a guy whose philosophy is about winning, he is sure doing a crappy job of it. Largely because he doesn't have a clue how to build and run a professional sports team as evidenced by the people he's surrounded himself with. Like Kyle Walters.

Kyle Walters, General Manager - As I said, never been a GM before, not here, not anywhere. Where is the American talent? At least Joe Mack brought in some of that. Walters gave us Moore the first year and he has what, 1 TD in 28 games. Then in year two, we get an over-priced O-Line that leads the league in sacks allowed. But worse, our Canadian talent sucks too. Now, at the midpoint of the season, Walters is giving us castoffs from other teams. 

At this point, I'm willing to cut the coaching some slack as we just don't have enough talent on this team. If we could just get a GM in here that could provide this team with some real talent then maybe the coaching would start looking a hell of a lot better. </rant>

The Board - As I said, this BOD don't care about the fans because they answer to nobody! They care about $$$. So if you want to get their attention, make it about money. Otherwise, expect more of the same.

Wade Miller, President and CEO - As I said, for a guy whose philosophy is about winning, he is sure doing a crappy job of it. Largely because he doesn't have a clue how to build and run a professional sports team as evidenced by the people he's surrounded himself with. Like Kyle Walters.

Kyle Walters, General Manager - As I said, never been a GM before, not here, not anywhere. Where is the American talent? At least Joe Mack brought in some of that. Walters gave us Moore the first year and he has what, 1 TD in 28 games. Then in year two, we get an over-priced O-Line that leads the league in sacks allowed. But worse, our Canadian talent sucks too. Now, at the midpoint of the season, Walters is giving us castoffs from other teams. 

At this point, I'm willing to cut the coaching some slack as we just don't have enough talent on this team. If we could just get a GM in here that could provide this team with some real talent then maybe the coaching would start looking a hell of a lot better. </rant>

Funny but I see it the much differently , I see that Walters has gone above and beyond to get talent the the Coaches have messed it up after all a good coach tells the GM what he wants then the GM goes out and gets the players. I have no problem with Walters other than the fact that he picked a rookie head coach that is clearly learning on the job. I put most of the problems on the fact that Marcel B. is not able to coach his way out of a wet paper bag he is garbage and MOS picked 3 horrible co-ordinators ( Etch and Tracey Gone Marcel to follow ) showing he was not ready to be a head coach and MOS pratices are garbage as well he has no clue how to run a top level practice...

I'm not a Walters fan but he'll get 3 years. I don't think MOS will if we don't win half the games left. In other words go 4-4. That would give us as 7-11 record. That's just if we go 50% which still isn't good enough. The fanbase will be rightfully angry. 

Agreed I see Walters getting at least 3 years and possibly longer, he has many a number of good trades and picked up many player he can't help it if the coaches don't know how to assess talent he only tries to pickup as many players as possible, I would have thought we would have a better REC core with all of the players in camp but they got cut one after one until we have Gordon and Veltung and Gordon is terrible and Veltung is ok but nothing special. I would have kept a bigger target at REC I think that is something the Bombers miss this year. And its a good thing I am not in charge of the Bombers I would have cut a number of players already and brought in some that actually wanted to play...

GMs usually get at least one HC to sacrifice before they're fired so we'll see what happens at the end of the season & what Walters does depending upon our record.

I think the Marcel B. be offered up in an attempt to save MOS however the more I see the more I think MOS isn't ready to be a head coach his first 3 co-ordinators where are terrible Etch Tracey and Marcel B. and he isn't touch enough on his players and runs low intensity practices so not good enough MOS...

If  MOS gets fired as well I will be much happier at this point I was willing to give MOS some time however I don't see enough improvement and when you can't even run a proper practice I don't see how you can ever have a Winning team...

Joe mack drafted 22 players in the cfl draft between 2010 and 2013. With the greaves trade only Jake Thomas remains. That is insane and Def part of the reason for our struggles. Build a team around QB and Canadians... we had neither really when Walters took over.

Yet there are some here who still defend Joe Mack and would have been willing to give him as long as he needed to build a consistent winner...which he never would have done.