Bomber transactions

gbill2004

Why is there the compelling need to play more than the necessary 7 starting nationals? Let's try and find 7 decent nationals before we try and feed this patriotic thirst.

It's been said before, don't get too hung up on the number of national "starters".  It really is just a formality. We have the maximum number of internationals on our game-day roster just like every team and that's what you should be looking at if your concerned with the number of nationals who are showing up with their names first on the depth chart.  

Are we better with J.Gordon or Stoudamire in at rec over JFG?

No. I'd rather use more imports on the OL, even if it's someone who is inexperienced because our issue is at least as much physical as mental on the OL. People somehow magically think Gordon is going to transform into a better player than JFG this week, but he's been useless when the lights have been on in pre-season and regular season.

I'm not sure if we had 5 Chris Walbys On the oline if it would make a huge difference we still have MB and his 50 schemes to get your qb killed...

Good point and shuffling personnel it isn't going to make a huge difference if we keep getting out-coached every game.

Bob Irving ‏@BobIrvingCJOB 3m3 minutes ago

Mathias Goossen taking all the snaps at center at bomber practice--no sign of Dom Picard.

This is the best news I've heard all week. Praying for a surprise post-bye week purge of the excess fat on the roster.

ehhhh.... While Picard's snaps have been horrific I'd rather not cut an experience NI Oline at the moment

First thing i thought of with Picard being MIA  was vet day but then i got to thinking he hasn't been very good and is making a very large amount of cash so part of me wonders if they are considering releasing him.  I doubt it but... Picard has been pretty bad, terrible snaps and has been getting owned 1 on 1 all season long.. wouldn't shock me. 

Mathias Goossen taking all the snaps at center at bomber practice--no sign of Dom Picard.

This is the best news I've heard all week. Praying for a surprise post-bye week purge of the excess fat on the roster.

ehhhh.... While Picard's snaps have been horrific I'd rather not cut an experience NI Oline at the moment

I can understand where you're coming from but what good is experience if his play has been declining for years to the point where he's a complete liability out there? Rider fans have been looking to be rid of him for his bad snaps for at least 2 seasons prior to this one and he was never a great blocker. He's not getting any better and it's hard to imagine Goossen possibly being worse. I don't even care about whether we would save salary or not, just get rid of him so there is no temptation to play him in the case Goossen has a bad game. To me, experience only makes a difference if you have at least something positive to contribute on the field. Picard does not at this point in his career.

Simmons just signed, he won't be playing lots this week if at all, O'shea said he's gotta work for a special teams spot this week, He might get on the roster but.. I doubt he'd play much D, i mean, takes time to learn a new system really...

Man, Still get that Dude is gonna be a huge bust for us feeling about Simmons when he does finally play... 

I can understand where you're coming from but what good is experience if his play has been declining for years to the point where he's a complete liability out there? Rider fans have been looking to be rid of him for his bad snaps for at least 2 seasons prior to this one and he was never a great blocker. He's not getting any better and it's hard to imagine Goossen possibly being worse. I don't even care about whether we would save salary or not, just get rid of him so there is no temptation to play him in the case Goossen has a bad game. To me, experience only makes a difference if you have at least something positive to contribute on the field. Picard does not at this point in his career.

Ok and then we have a couple injuries and suddenly Thomas Griffiths is starting or we have 3 Americans on the OL.  And there's no guarantee the Americans are going to be any good anyways, as we saw last year.  It's a terrible idea to cut Canadian OL midseason, more so now than ever.  Goossen will get his chance when the time is right, no need to force it.

Ok but then why isn't the time right for him to start now? Don't even cut Picard. Keep him as an injury replacement. I can see your point of view of not wanting Griffiths anywhere near the roster. The point that Picard is a detriment to this team's success still stands.

Is Steve Morley still circling out there?  Wasn't he much better a center than anywhere else on the line?  Could we bring him in for a look?

If memory serves, to the surprise of all, Morley played well at center for the first half of the season in 2014, but took a dump along with the rest of the O-line in the last half. I don't know if he has anything left in the tank or even wants to come back.

Ok but then why isn't the time right for him to start now? Don't even cut Picard. Keep him as an injury replacement. I can see your point of view of not wanting Griffiths anywhere near the roster. The point that Picard is a detriment to this team's success still stands.

Sure I could buy into that.  Give Goossen some playing time but don't cut Picard... not yet.