Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

"Communist" China is anything but communist. China has become what Mao-Tse Tung was afraid it would become- a dictatorship run by oligarchs, much like Russia is and what America is devolving into.

Harper is an unabashed fan of American economics, military policy, politics and religion, and when he took majority power he promised that when he was done we would not be able to recognize Canada, and if he manages another administration, that will probably be true. His driving philosophy is centered around his church's beliefs- that a nuclear war beginning in Jerusalem and spreading around the world is both good and inevitable as it will force Jesus to scoop up the faithful and leave the others to devastation.

His former friend, Tom Flanagan and biographer in his book " Harper's Men" paints a very unflattering picture of Harper as a micro-manager obsessed with control and image, and who confided in Flanagan that Canada needed a crisis so that he (Harper) could silence any opposition. As Ralph Klein's political advisor, he counselled Klein to close the borders to the rest of Canada via economic restrictions and minimal interactions. Hardly a description of a good Prime Minister, is it?

cut 36 billion for health care over 10 years.

that's a deal breaker for me.

You shouldn't take that at face value. The Conservatives are still increasing health care spending each year, they just cut the amount of increase each year. It's still increasing funding. If health care is such an important issue I suggest taking more of an interest in provincial politics since it is a provincial responsibility. 

The more I'm reading lately, the more I think the NDP numbers are going to start falling off hard as we get closer and closer to the election. I think it's going to start becoming a 2-horse race again between the Grits and Tories...

I dunno man, polls show Quebec is still fully on board with the NDP and now BC seems to be joining their party. Damned granola eating hippy tree huggers and french losers. 

Hey man, we've rejected those Dipper-doughbrains in four provincial elections in a row now.  You should be the one talking, with all of that ugly orange crap currently sitting in Edmonton as your government.

Hey don't blame me, my riding elected a conservatives and the wild rose candidate came in second. It's the nutjobs in Edmonton and inner city Calgary largely responsible for that clusterfuck. 

His former friend, Tom Flanagan and biographer in his book " Harper's Men" paints a very unflattering picture of Harper as a micro-manager obsessed with control and image, and who confided in Flanagan that Canada needed a crisis so that he (Harper) could silence any opposition. As Ralph Klein's political advisor, he counselled Klein to close the borders to the rest of Canada via economic restrictions and minimal interactions. Hardly a description of a good Prime Minister, is it?

There seems to be no end to these anti-Harper books.  I have to ask, who would bother reading them?  And why? Anyway, I don't care if Harper doesn't get re-elected, I just don't want to see Herr Mulcair the dictator in power. 

The more in depth this goes the more clearly it shows the Cons are the best party for the job.

????⁉❓⚠❓⁉⚠

Of all the puzzling statements in all the puzzling lands, this must be the puzzliest statement by anybody's hand.

I'm puzzled even more why you think either of the other two guys is any better.  Other than the fact that it is time for a change at the top as all governments should be changed every 10 years at the latest.  Pierre Trudeau was the proof of that.  The first 13 years of my life all I knew was the evil scumbag PET as the leader, save for 9 months of sunshine in 1979-80.  And the NDP even found a way to screw that up, by conniving with the Liberals to bring Joe down.  I still, 35 years later, don't know what the idiot Broadbent and Boob Rae were thinking when they did that.

Hey don't blame me, my riding elected a conservatives and the wild rose candidate came in second. It's the nutjobs in Edmonton and inner city Calgary largely responsible for that clusterfuck. 

Yeah I don't blame you. It was a classic protest vote, in which the people of Alberta chose to chop off their leg because they had a sore toe.  What I find hilarious though is that I've talked to probably a hundred people from Alberta this summer and not one will admit that they voted NDP.  And they all blame Edmonton and "those idiot young people", whatever that means.

I'm glad you asked KBF.

Could it be because Stephen Harper may very well be the worst Prime Minister ever? - Citizen Action Monitor

"Still, given his longevity in power, and in regards to the fundamental things people grade a government on – such as the economy, democratic practices, the environment, corruption, foreign policy, culture, civil liberties – Harper’s record might very well place him as the worst prime minister in Canadian history." -Bruce Livesey

"A laundry list of undemocratic actions, which include":

- Proroguing Parliament 4 times shutting it down for a total of 181 days

In 2008, Harper prorogued Parliament after opposition parties threatened to bring down his minority government. He did it twice more in 2009 when Harper claimed he wanted to keep Parliament in recess during the Winter Olympics (while opposition members felt it was to avoid investigations into the Afghan detainee affair)— and the fourth time was in 2013 after the opposition said he was avoiding questions over the Senate spending scandal.

- Omnibus bills

Starting in 2010, Harper tabled a bill with 883 pages that included changes to Canada Post and environmental assessments. Since then, Harper has passed 10 more omnibus bills to circumvent debate in parliament, often making sweeping changes to laws and regulations. “All have been an abuse of process and shown contempt for Parliament by subverting its role,” editorialized The Globe and Mail last fall. “Major changes to policy and law that should have been examined by MPs have been pushed through with almost no debate, sometimes with disastrous results.”

One bill attempted to appoint Justice Marc Nadon to the Supreme Court, although he was not eligible.

In 2012, one of the omnibus bills, C-38, completely gutted Canada’s environmental laws, cut $36-billion from health care funding, weakened Canada’s food inspectors through job cuts, and made it harder to qualify for EI benefits.

- Robocalling during the 2011 election 

Michael Harris, in his book Party of One, calls it “Canada’s worst election scandal.” Just prior to election day, some voters across Canada received recorded calls that either told them to go to the wrong polling station, or were of a harassing nature, purportedly made by opposition parties. The targeted voters didn’t support the Conservatives. Investigations revealed the involvement of RackNine Inc., a political consulting firm the Conservatives hired, and Michael Sona, a low-level Conservative party staffer who was sentenced last year to nine months in prison for his role. Two judges found that it was likely other senior Tories were involved.

- Fair Elections Act

Last year the Harper government overhauled Canada’s election laws to deal with electoral fraud. But its critics soon labeled it the “Unfair Elections Act” because it weakened the power of Elections Canada, effectively muzzling the chief electoral officer from communicating with the public and MPs about investigations, and cut off the agency’s investigations arm, while polling supervisors were now to be appointed by the incumbent party’s candidate or party. (Elections Canada used to appoint them.)

- Gagging scientists from speaking freely about their research

Numerous scientists have been prevented from speaking to the media, especially those researching the environment. The government has also been accused of sending “minders” when some scientists have attended international conferences, along with speaking points, to ensure they stay on message.

- Spying on environmental and aboriginal activists

Jeffrey Monaghan, a criminologist at Carleton University, has obtained documents from CSIS and RCMP through access to information laws that reveal how these agencies are spying on the environmental movement, especially those opposed to pipelines or who participate in National Energy Board (NEB) hearings.

- Auditing environmental and civil society groups

In the 2012 budget, the government announced it was going to earmark $8-million so that the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) could begin auditing selected charities. Seven environmental groups were soon targeted.

This sum has since been increased to $13-million a year and expanded to anti-poverty, foreign aid and human rights groups, such as Amnesty International, as well as the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives and United Church of Canada. Last fall, the Broadbent Institute issued a report that said these audits were politically motivated – because no conservative think tanks or groups had been targeted.

- Taxpayer-funded political ads

This spring, Finance Canada is planning to spend $13.5-million on ads to boast about the government’s budget. The Toronto Star estimates that $500-million has been spent by the Harper government since 2009 promoting its programs – $75-million in 2014 alone. Finance spent $7.5-million on Economic Action Plan ads, Employment and Social Development spent $7-million on a skills initiative campaign, and the CRA spent $6-million on ads about new tax measures. Queen’s University political science professor Jonathan Rose told The Globe and Mail recently: “What’s so egregious is the blatant way that they’re priming the electorate before an election.”

And there's more…so much more, but let's take a break for awhile to digest this...

Is Elections Canada really unbiased. As of two years ago, 4 Liberal candidates owed money from their 2006 leadership campaigns. Rather than take them to court or make them pay, EC said they could pay it back in a timely manner. They don't do that for Conservatives or NDPers. How much investigating are they doing?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberals-won-t-face-courts-over-2006-leadership-loans-1.1394561

Yeah I don't blame you. It was a classic protest vote, in which the people of Alberta chose to chop off their leg because they had a sore toe.  What I find hilarious though is that I've talked to probably a hundred people from Alberta this summer and not one will admit that they voted NDP.  And they all blame Edmonton and "those idiot young people", whatever that means.

I know people who voted NDP just because they wanted change, people who'd never normally do it. Just sickening. Yeah Prentice and the PCs ****** up but for gods sake, the NDP? Really? That's just being angry smashing a bunch of stuff in your house and then waking up thinking "boy I wish I hadn't done that" 

I am concerned that Canada is going to do the same thing this fall, it really worries me to be honest. Yeah the Conservatives probably need to go just because every government has an expiry date, but god not the NDP and Tom "say anything" Mulcair. That's just asking for trouble. 

Lol worst prime minister ever. Talk about hyperbole.

Just listed 100 things the Harper government did that were positives. A lot of people seem to be anti government rather than anti harper but they don't know the difference. A lot of them can't articulate their opposition. Many cant say why harper is bad or the others are good.

A lot of people just get caught up in the social media stuff.

Harper has been good for Canada. If we're lucky he wins another majority. Shudder to think of Mulcair with a Majority.

I wish one of the parties (LIberals) had the stones to bring the GST back up to 7%. Such a stupid move by Harper to cut it. I'd like to see those two extra points added back to the GST and used exclusively for infrastructure. I would want oversight on those funds though, so nobody could pull a Selinger (PST hike) and spend it on whatever he wants.

Liberals are promising to pour a pile of money into infrastructure (causing above noted deficits), which is desperately needed. The problem is the Conservatives have cut off so much revenue it's gotten harder to pay for it. IMO they have to borrow to do this b/c it's desperately needed. Balancing the operating budget and borrowing for infrastructure is the way to go imo.

I wish one of the parties (LIberals) had the stones to bring the GST back up to 7%. Such a stupid move by Harper to cut it. I'd like to see those two extra points added back to the GST and used exclusively for infrastructure. I would want oversight on those funds though, so nobody could pull a Selinger (PST hike) and spend it on whatever he wants.

and I'd like to win the lottery. No one is going to use revenue for one thing and one thing only and I honestly don't believe that it should be used like that. 

I'm glad you asked KBF.

If you were glad I asked, then why didn't you answer the question?  Why are the other two guys better options?  Instead of just cutting and pasting rhetoric prepared for you by union-sponsored NDP propaganda arms, why not give me positive reasons why the other guys are better?  Starting off your entire post with more blarney about Harper being the worst prime minister ever just guarantees I am going to tune out whatever you have to say, as it is going to just be more biased left-wing crap.  When Harper goes on a train trip across Canada with his family, and is greeted at every whistle stop with people throwing eggs and yelling **** YOU!! at the train, like people did in 1982 with Pierre Trudeau, then I'd agree, Harper is in the same area code as Trudeau was in terms of being the worst.  Right now, he's not even in the same solar system as the suckage experienced by Canada under Trudeau.  And anyone who says otherwise is just wearing partisan blinders.

11108667_10153389513825928_5907724678137

Wow this really made me want to vote for ____________, hmmm....so what are the other guys doing that is any better?  As soon as a leftist starts talking about making changes because current policy "only favours the wealthy" I just start laughing, as I know they are completely full of ****.

No one is going to use revenue for one thing and one thing only and I honestly don't believe that it should be used like that. 

Why not?