Fire O'Shea

holoman

i just wonder why **** like the non catch & no end call happen to us at such critical times in games? I dunno, just excuse after excuse. It's like this dark cloud just hangs over the organization & never goes away. The no end call affected the outcome but it wasn't the entire reason why we lost the game like some people are making it out to be. We lost the game all on our own & did a great job doing it. 

You have to throw the flag on the Rogers catch... its a huge play that changed the game, if he doesn't make, we've got Calgary pinned...

Experienced coaches throw that flag with or without the replay.... even to buy time for their D to regroup.

I disagree and that's not how its done.   And let's say if he did and lost and then there was another game defining moment where a  challenge would have been required. You'd be all over O'shea because he wasted it.   

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

Mike O'Shea could single handily solve the economic crisis and you'd still find fault.   

You have to throw the flag on the Rogers catch... its a huge play that changed the game, if he doesn't make, we've got Calgary pinned...

Experienced coaches throw that flag with or without the replay.... even to buy time for their D to regroup.

I'm not aware of a CFL head coach throwing a challenge flag in order to "buy time for their D to regroup", nor am I aware of challenge flags being thrown simply because, "its a huge play that changed the game ".  The only time I'm aware of that a HC throws a challenge flag is when he has good reason to believe that a decision by the officials was wrong, which O'Shea has already said that he didn't have.   Care to list some examples of either of the situations you outlined?

None of us are CFL head coaches so saying O'Shea should have done this... no O'Shea should have done that.... like we're experts when we're not... we don't really know. Only he does. The guys that like O'Shea will stick up for him.The guys that hate him will say he blew it. Even I'm getting tired of the arguing here. 

Players seem to think they did nothing wrong on that no end call, after hearing Nichols on the radio.

That means 

1) Coaches didnt prepare them correctly (shocker)

2) Refs made a mistake.

Guess which one is more likely

So which was more likely?

#1)  still.

I think what you meant to ask was "so, what was the answer"

I'm not aware of a CFL head coach throwing a challenge flag in order to "buy time for their D to regroup", nor am I aware of challenge flags being thrown simply because, "its a huge play that changed the game ".  The only time I'm aware of that a HC throws a challenge flag is when he has good reason to believe that a decision by the officials was wrong, which O'Shea has already said that he didn't have.   Care to list some examples of either of the situations you outlined?

clap clap clap ...standing ovation   :)  :)  

Absolutely correct. MOS lovers are just blowing smoke to cover for their inept coach.

If people actually think the command center would have called that a non catch you have got to be kidding. They would say no conclusive evidence just to save the refs ass. It's happened all year. Even on obvious ones. They challenge and my bet is no conclusive evidence aka we aren't gonna make our refs look any more incompetent than they are.

Yup and Denmark got a foot in bounds but nope. No catch. It's basically just cuz you me and everyone else think it's a non catch... the refs won't. Been proven this year countless times. Also how can some if you say the no end non penalty didn't cost us but not challenging did.

That may be but it still doesn't mean it wouldn't have been worth a try. I know this ... there is no chance at all of it being overturned if he doesn't challenge. At least if he tries there is a chance.

Alright. So he challenges it and we lose the challenge. Then what do you say. Hindsight man.

I say good for you, Mike. You're doing all you can to help us win. It's not your fault CC got it wrong. Then when the video showing he trapped it becomes available Mike is vindicated and I feel even better about him. 

I hate being so negative about him and I understand your frustration at all the negativity. But we can't pretend things are better than they are. 

On a positive note, the special teams played better. Mike deserves some credit for that as do the players. The defense played fairly well also. 

Alright. So he challenges it and we lose the challenge. Then what do you say. Hindsight man.

I say good for you, Mike. You're doing all you can to help us win. It's not your fault CC got it wrong. Then when the video showing he trapped it becomes available Mike is vindicated and I feel even better about him. 

I hate being so negative about him and I understand your frustration at all the negativity. But we can't pretend things are better than they are. 

On a positive note, the special teams played better. Mike deserves some credit for that as do the players. The defense played fairly well also.

Assuming you were not at the game. He had maybe, 10 seconds to challenge that call. NOBODY that I saw on the field was motioning that it was incomplete, including Shell who made the breakup. I Said to myself " that was a catch?" And they had already lined up and were snapping. That late into the game, without any reason to think otherwise, you think he risks losing a challenge? For zero reason other then snap judgement?

It was bang-bang and calgary knew it. The ref should have conferred with his peers and then made the call imo, not indicate catch and move on. Another mistake in a game full of them.

I want to ask...since when has O'Shea backed away from throwing a challenge? He has to have something to base it on, you know a player's word, an actual view or a spotter. Throwing a flag on what? A whim? Lose a timeout on a whim? You can't be serious.

I don't know, you'd have to ask him and yes I am serious. It's late in the game, my opposition just made a circus catch that I didn't get a view on yet, my opposition is all of a sudden running hurry up to get on the ball quick when they should be taking their time so I need to slow things down now, what's at my disposal? Time out or challenge flag. I choose the challenge flag because the bonus is there's a chance it could be overturned based on Calgary not wanting it reviewed. Little bit more than a whim.
You'll probably find that very few professional level coaches use "the force" to make critical decisions. I'm thinking that they rely a lot more on evidence, which O'Shea didn't have available to him at that particular moment.
The other way to look at it was he made a decision, without any evidence, to let the play go. If he didn't have time to compile that evidence (Calgary rushing to the ball), you simply let it go? No, you use your options to have time to collect that evidence especially being how critical that play was and the time we had left in the game. Yes I risk losing a timeout, the flip side is I risk letting Calgary move up the field on a non legit play.

Doesn't the team have multiple people watching? I find it hard to believe no one saw even the possibility of a non catch? I think everyone was mystified by the circus catch. It was very obvious on reply. Id expect someone somewhere to raise an eyebrow at game speed since it's their bread and butter

Have you not read the entirety of the thread?  And in real speed it looked like a good catch.  It wasn't until after the Stamps ran their next play that TSN showed a definitive replay that looked like the ball hit the ground.

And those two idiots (Black & Suitor) were still sporting chubbies over the non catch.

"Eric rogers, the best receiver in the CFL today makes another spectacular one handed grab! *replay shows trap on ground* and hes st it again, making huge play with an amazing catch in coverage! Class of the cfl!"

Man, i almost threw my drink at the tv.

Thinking that you throw a challenge flag, on a whim, because it was a long catch and the opposition seemed to rushing is just plain foolish. Loss of a timeout , in a close game, is a waste, especially with the record of reviews the challenge centre has made.

Then, you'd be on the other side of the argument saying...what a dumb fruck that O'Shea was for blowing a time-out without adequate reason.

*RABBLE RABBLE* wasted another timeout on a suspect challenge!!! *RABBLE RABBLE*.

Would have been how it went down if CFL blew that one too.. Like they have countless times this year.

I want to ask...since when has O'Shea backed away from throwing a challenge? He has to have something to base it on, you know a player's word, an actual view or a spotter. Throwing a flag on what? A whim? Lose a timeout on a whim? You can't be serious.

I don't know, you'd have to ask him and yes I am serious. It's late in the game, my opposition just made a circus catch that I didn't get a view on yet, my opposition is all of a sudden running hurry up to get on the ball quick when they should be taking their time so I need to slow things down now, what's at my disposal? Time out or challenge flag. I choose the challenge flag because the bonus is there's a chance it could be overturned based on Calgary not wanting it reviewed. Little bit more than a whim.
You'll probably find that very few professional level coaches use "the force" to make critical decisions. I'm thinking that they rely a lot more on evidence, which O'Shea didn't have available to him at that particular moment.
The other way to look at it was he made a decision, without any evidence, to let the play go. If he didn't have time to compile that evidence (Calgary rushing to the ball), you simply let it go? No, you use your options to have time to collect that evidence especially being how critical that play was and the time we had left in the game. Yes I risk losing a timeout, the flip side is I risk letting Calgary move up the field on a non legit play.
Doesn't the team have multiple people watching? I find it hard to believe no one saw even the possibility of a non catch? I think everyone was mystified by the circus catch. It was very obvious on reply. Id expect someone somewhere to raise an eyebrow at game speed since it's their bread and butter

Have you not read the entirety of the thread? And in real speed it looked like a good catch. It wasn't until after the Stamps ran their next play that TSN showed a definitive replay that looked like the ball hit the ground.

And those two idiots (Black & Suitor) were still sporting chubbies over the non catch.

I believe the replay was shown before he next play. I saw it as a non catch and assumed the flag was coming and the next play then began

We never saw the trap catch on the jumbotron. Only hand fighting snd roll over. And THAT only came after snap.

I disagree and that's not how its done.   And let's say if he did and lost and then there was another game defining moment where a  challenge would have been required. You'd be all over O'shea because he wasted it.   

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

Mike O'Shea could single handily solve the economic crisis and you'd still find fault.   

Can you please show me where MOS has been given grief by a poster here for wasting a challenge flag or wasting a time out?

Have you not read the entirety of the thread? And in real speed it looked like a good catch. It wasn't until after the Stamps ran their next play that TSN showed a definitive replay that looked like the ball hit the ground.

I believe the replay was shown before he next play. I saw it as a non catch and assumed the flag was coming and the next play then began</blockquote>

We never saw the trap catch on the jumbotron. Only hand fighting snd roll over. And THAT only came after snap.</blockquote>

I saw the replay on TV while watching the game. I realise there was some issue where the Bombers couldn't see he replay. Which is in itself an issue for me. The camera angle was perfect close up showing the trap. It was pretty obvious. Like i said I'm not football guru and I assumed it was being challenged and over turned. Shocked to see the next play happen.