Boltus and two receivers

Floyd

Then why are Anderson and Miles here if they are not going to play them?

well anderson for one hasn't done anything when he has gone in, doug pierce hasn't taken the next step like he was expected to either, if guys like that aren't taking advantage of their opportunities then you have to bring in new people who might. 

Our receivers need to be upgraded to fix our offense just as bad as our DB's need to be upgraded to fix our defense.

It's pretty tough on our QB's when they don't have a reliable receiver to throw to. Right now, the QB is scrambling and the receivers are still running their route's instead of coming back and opening up for the QB. The only smart and reliable receiver we have right now is Edwards. If we had legitimate depth at receiver, I wouldn't even be playing Denmark. He takes the night off and goes invisible WAY too often.

You bring in a guy like Ellingson or Chiles, who have been dominant in their first year (like Matthews last year) and our offense would be WAY better off.

Our receivers need to be upgraded to fix our offense just as bad as our DB's need to be upgraded to fix our defense.

It's pretty tough on our QB's when they don't have a reliable receiver to throw to. Right now, the QB is scrambling and the receivers are still running their route's instead of coming back and opening up for the QB. The only smart and reliable receiver we have right now is Edwards. If we had legitimate depth at receiver, I wouldn't even be playing Denmark. He takes the night off and goes invisible WAY too often.

You bring in a guy like Ellingson or Chiles, who have been dominant in their first year (like Matthews last year) and our offense would be WAY better off.

Where should the receivers come back to?  The defence is sitting is short zones and daring our QB's to hit a window, which they've done few times.  If we had a QB who could make a read and a throw, you could put the receivers down.  There is nowhere for receivers to come back to.  We don't throw deep, our veteran QB can't handle a blitz and teams are just sitting in the middle of the field and short zones daring someone to beat them, which makes it almost impossible to run the ball without tossing in everyone to block.  We're probably the easiest team to defend in recent CFL history.

Like Matthews last year? Or Denmark in his rookie year? I don't think this is a lack of talent, this is a lack of putting talent in positions to succeed. 

JBR is right, this team is the easiest to defend that I have ever seen. Blitz and you stop the offense. Doesn't even have to be disguised, the qbs can't make plays against it.

Where should the receivers come back to?  The defence is sitting is short zones and daring our QB's to hit a window, which they've done few times.  If we had a QB who could make a read and a throw, you could put the receivers down.  There is nowhere for receivers to come back to.  We don't throw deep, our veteran QB can't handle a blitz and teams are just sitting in the middle of the field and short zones daring someone to beat them, which makes it almost impossible to run the ball without tossing in everyone to block.  We're probably the easiest team to defend in recent CFL history.

Word on the street (ok, heard it from Rick Ralph) is none of our receivers are running the correct routes, and TE is the only one actually performing on game day like he does in practice.  Haven't watched many of the games (only listened) so can't judge. 

Is it really the vet QB can't handle a blitz or our OL is just that awful?  

Word on the street (ok, heard it from Rick Ralph) is none of our receivers are running the correct routes, and TE is the only one actually performing on game day like he does in practice.  Haven't watched many of the games (only listened) so can't judge. 

Little of column A .. little of column B ..

The point of the blitz is that they are sending more guys than we can block.  In that game on the weekend, Hamilton was routinely bringing 7 vs 5 or 6.  It makes the OL look really bad because guys are coming through free, but that is by design.  Any functional offence is going to beat this enough times to make it pointless for a defence to send a blitz (particularly a rush of more than 5) on a passing down more than about 1/3 of the time.  The QB needs to read the blitz pre-snap (especially when it is not being disguised) and designate a receiver to replace the space where a blitzer(s) is coming from, a hot route.  This is football 101, one of the first things young passers learn on either side of the border.  Pierce is not reading anything until the ball is snapped, and by then it is too late.  He needs to know where the ball is going before it is even snapped.  If any other QB in the league faced that blitz he'd throw for 400 yards.

From the sounds of it, Crowton's O involved both the rec and QBs making multiple reads...  While I don't think this is an excuse for sucking, I don't really see the benefit of bringing in two (import?) receivers to compete...

I mean insert Woods if you want to change things up...?  To me, it seems like we're looking at Woods at RB more than SB right now... which is worrisome.

Try Carter or Miles... or give DPierce another chance - the guy played with three diff QBs last game... its ridiculous.

Boltus and one veteran CFL 'bigger' receiver, plus a former NFL rec. plus an unnamed practice roster player, the position which, he wouldn't name.

-----from the T Burke show.

I heard that and started wondering... if they sign Prechea Rodqiguez I will LOL

From the sounds of it, Crowton's O involved both the rec and QBs making multiple reads...  While I don't think this is an excuse for sucking, I don't really see the benefit of bringing in two (import?) receivers to compete...

I mean insert Woods if you want to change things up...?  To me, it seems like we're looking at Woods at RB more than SB right now... which is worrisome.

Try Carter or Miles... or give DPierce another chance - the guy played with three diff QBs last game... its ridiculous.

Every offence in pro football involves receivers and QB's making reads...most high school offences do too.  If the corner takes a 10 yard drop into his zone, why would the #1 receiver run a 10 yard hook, even if that's the call?  The whole game is about reading and adjusting.

Every offence in pro football involves receivers and QB's making reads...most high school offences do too.  If the corner takes a 10 yard drop into his zone, why would the #1 receiver run a 10 yard hook, even if that's the call?  The whole game is about reading and adjusting.

I understand this.  What it sounded like was that Crowton was trying to scheme for every possible defence...  this must have involved multiple reads/options as opposed to two or three, just a thought... what other excuse do we have for receivers 'running the wrong routes'...?  Everyone all of a sudden can't play football?

I understand this.  What it sounded like was that Crowton was trying to scheme for every possible defence...  this must have involved multiple reads/options as opposed to two or three, just a thought... what other excuse do we have for receivers 'running the wrong routes'...?  Everyone all of a sudden can't play football?

honestly having receivers and qbs both make reads isn't a bad idea, I just think that with too many rookie qbs and a lot of inexperience at receivers it was probably too much for the group of people there. With a well established qb and a real veteran group of receivers that's been around for a long time it might have worked well. Khari and MIlt always said one of the reasons they worked so well together is that they saw the same things in a defense and made the adjustment. I don't see this team able to do that. 

honestly having receivers and qbs both make reads isn't a bad idea, I just think that with too many rookie qbs and a lot of inexperience at receivers it was probably too much for the group of people there. With a well established qb and a real veteran group of receivers that's been around for a long time it might have worked well. Khari and MIlt always said one of the reasons they worked so well together is that they saw the same things in a defense and made the adjustment. I don't see this team able to do that. 

You mean... rookie QBs and Buck.

Totally agree though...  but this comes back to my first point, why are we jettisoning receivers who have just been thrown in and who have played with three different QBs in either half a season or even just one or two games...  new receivers aren't going to change much

This is just the same move as we've had to sit through for the last few years... we have problems at OL so we sign a REC ... we have problems at LB so we sign DL...