Rate Danny McManus's Scouting at this point

BigBlue

The Quality of Our New International Players  

48 members have voted

1. 1. At this point in time (not after the Grey Cup) compared to the other 8 teams, how will did we do recruiting International rookies?

• Very well
    • Above aqverage
    • Neither great nor poorly (average)
    • Ho-Hum (below average)
    • Only fair (failing really)
    • Other, please explain

We brought in no QBs (although I am glad we got one from Calgary), and a smattering of everything else.

But no newbie has impressed me so far.... do you see any of our International rookies making an impact this year?

How helpful has McManus been to us so far?

It's difficult to know which scout brought in which players, so I find this difficult to rate.

Do you have a list of players Danny Mac has brought in?

I mean the whole US scouting team led by Danny
I believe Ted Goviea is considered equivalent to Danny Mac.

Don't know who's to blame, but the US recruiting under Walters has been mediocre. In two seasons, they have found one above average player -- Leggett. Cotton may turn out to be another. But that's it.

Compare this with Mack, who brought in Matthews, Wild, Washington, etc and Walters and Co have performed poorly in this area.

Makes me wonder whether Hall is the main guy to blame for the bad defence, or if Walters shares some responsibility for failing to recruit better players.

Here is something I posted a couple of days ago in another thread

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I said it just after we made our final cuts that I was less than impressed with the crop of new talent the scouting department supplied for training camp.  The only areas where we improved our talent was by paying big bucks at free agency  Recruiting hasn't really provided any great talent for our dline and lb's which are the two weak links on defence. 

Goveia was supposed to be this up and coming personnel guy from TO but I wonder if he was riding the coat tails of Jim Barker who is probably the best talent scout in the CFL.  Danny MacManus was a great QB but I'm not sure about his scouting talents.  He was mandated to improve our QB talent.  Still looking I guess.

Coaching is key but I have to give our coaches a bit of a pass as I think their dealing from a full deck.

They've struggled with receivers, linebackers and rush ends for 2 years now.

Done relatively well at DB, running back, kick returner and import OL.

IMO, they aren't very patient in terms of keeping a guy around for a bit on the PR and letting him develop.  That has contributed to the struggles with import receivers and probably linebacker.  Bass has been a disaster through two games at WIL, just real bad fundamentals in terms of staying on the right side of the ball to limit gains.  Say Denmark goes down, and he didn't look right vs Hamilton after ending the game with a rough fall on the ball in Regina, who's in his place?  Jhomo Gordon?  The guy who couldn't get on the same page with any QB in either pre-season game?  Raw talent there, but I'd like to see someone who could play well with little drop-off from the regular guy in the next game if we have an injury.

Rush ends should be easy to find, even if they are lacking in other areas, like against the run.  You need a few guys who can just get after the QB in this league.  IMO Gibson is one, but they need to turn him loose and get him on the field more.

Average overall.  Not awful because they are unearthing some very good imports (Cotton, Marshall, Leggett, J Adams, Marve, Stoudermire, Veltung, Davis), but struggling to find good guys at spots like WIL and rush end.

I appreciate the move to acquire Davis and get rid of Portis after the pre-season.  Portis has basically no upside as a passer, good to have a couple developmental guys with upside.

Speaking from my own experience, Danny Mac is a great asset for whatever CFL team he works for. Between his own football knowledge, his love of the game and how he runs a tryout camp you guys are blessed to have him wearing Bomber blue.

I do think that it's some fans who don't have an in depth knowledge of what Danny Mac brings to the table that are down on him at the moment..

Your bang on with your assessment IMO. He knows what a player needs to b capable of to be successful here, he is a leader of ever needed to be and like you said, loves the CFL GAME and I'm pretty sure deep down the bombers as well

Speaking from my own experience, Danny Mac is a great asset for whatever CFL team he works for. Between his own football knowledge, his love of the game and how he runs a tryout camp you guys are blessed to have him wearing Bomber blue. 

Good stuff. Every scout has areas where they are better at recruiting/assessing than others. It's part of the reason you have multiple scouts. Can't blame McManus for all the teams shortcomings in recruitment, he is only one of many. On top of that assessing talent is only half the battle. Getting them to come to Canada and sign a contract can be just as daunting a task as finding them.

Who is to say that McManus hasn't turned up some gems at DE, or R only to have them walk away from the 45k a year we offered them.

Good stuff. Every scout has areas where they are better at recruiting/assessing than others. It's part of the reason you have multiple scouts. Can't blame McManus for all the teams shortcomings in recruitment, he is only one of many. On top of that assessing talent is only half the battle. Getting them to come to Canada and sign a contract can be just as daunting a task as finding them.

Who is to say that McManus hasn't turned up some gems at DE, or R only to have them walk away from the 45k a year we offered them.

Joe Mack didn't have trouble getting DEs to come to Canada. Just excuses. There are areas our scouting and recruiting is lacking and it needs to get better. No excuses. 

Joe Mack didn't have trouble getting DEs to come to Canada. Just excuses. There are areas our scouting and recruiting is lacking and it needs to get better. No excuses. 

People complained about what Mack brought to Canada and they'll complain about what Walters brings to camp and they'll complain about what the next GM brings in as well. Winning solves all issues. 

How long is the leash for this front office? 2 years? 3 years? The CFL routinely has 33% turnover from year to year so it's a constant rebuild/reload scenario for most teams. Many on this board have stated that they can see an improvement in the National depth which is harder to develop than airmailing in players from the US.

The biggest issues surrounding bringing in players through the tryout camps is guys that do not have a passport and the length of the contract. For some players (especially those that are looking to use the CFL as a stepping stone back to the NFL) the 2+1 contract makes them return to beating the bushes looking for a sniff at an NFL.

People complained about what Mack brought to Canada and they'll complain about what Walters brings to camp and they'll complain about what the next GM brings in as well. Winning solves all issues. 

How long is the leash for this front office? 2 years? 3 years? The CFL routinely has 33% turnover from year to year so it's a constant rebuild/reload scenario for most teams. Many on this board have stated that they can see an improvement in the National depth which is harder to develop than airmailing in players from the US.

The biggest issues surrounding bringing in players through the tryout camps is guys that do not have a passport and the length of the contract. For some players (especially those that are looking to use the CFL as a stepping stone back to the NFL) the 2+1 contract makes them return to beating the bushes looking for a sniff at an NFL.

People only ever complained about Macks drafting and lack of interest in free agency. I don't recall anyone seriously complaining about his ability to find american players because he always brought in guys who could play. He just didn't have the draft success needed or hire the coaches required. 

Honestly I want to like this group we have, they do a lot of good things, but you can't deny there are areas in their recruitment that are lacking thus far that needs to get better. Right now I've got Walters about the same level as Taman was when he was here. Can find some good players but not consistent enough in his ability to bring guys up north. Cares more about the draft that Taman though and that'll be the difference between the two. 

I recall some complaints about the lack of #1/#2 QB and finding import OTs. 

Yes Mack had guys that could play but his 21-39 record as a GM would point to there being some issues with that talent. 

I'll separate this from the above as a personal opinion vs facts I know for sure:

Perhaps the difference for the Joe Mack era was that he threw more money at guys to come to Winnipeg as starters leaving less in the jar for depth players. 

I recall some complaints about the lack of #1/#2 QB and finding import OTs. 

Yes Mack had guys that could play but his 21-39 record as a GM would point to there being some issues with that talent. 

I'll separate this from the above as a personal opinion vs facts I know for sure:

Perhaps the difference for the Joe Mack era was that he threw more money at guys to come to Winnipeg as starters leaving less in the jar for depth players. 

We're still looking for a #2 QB.  When Danny Mac was brought on it was said that his mandate was to improve our QB depth thru recruiting.  To date I'd say he's still looking.