Bombers TC/Practice -- June 11th

Noeller

Marve better sign a contract extension soon or he could be cut in favour of Portis.

So you're in favour of cutting a guy just because he didn't sign a contract extension?

Pay no mind to him, he hitched his fan wagon to Portis a while back and wants to be vindicated for that it seems.
I said Portis looked good in a couple practices. I haven't hitched my wagon to anyone. Where do you guys come up with these assumptions??

I've explained my logic here. Not saying Marve will be cut, but there's a strong case to support that decision.

There isn't a strong case and it simply comes across as you trying to justify your ideas that Portis should be #3. 

I'm more concerned about 4 QB s throwing for a combined 160yds passing vs a team that threw for 350 yds passing. Is this an early warning of last years passing production?

It's a sign that the 2 QB's who played the majority of the game are extremely lacking in ability to move the ball with their arm. There's some value in having an option style QB around, but I would really like to see an actual pro QB as one of our prospects, and IMO Brohm isn't a prospect at this point, he is what he is, a reasonable backup.

Marve better sign a contract extension soon or he could be cut in favour of Portis.

So you're in favour of cutting a guy just because he didn't sign a contract extension?
Pay no mind to him, he hitched his fan wagon to Portis a while back and wants to be vindicated for that it seems.
I said Portis looked good in a couple practices. I haven't hitched my wagon to anyone. Where do you guys come up with these assumptions??

I've explained my logic here. Not saying Marve will be cut, but there's a strong case to support that decision.

There isn't a strong case and it simply comes across as you trying to justify your ideas that Portis should be #3.
There is a strong case and you are 100% wrong with your accusations. I couldn't care less who wins 3rd string QB.

Historically the 3rd guy is a cheap prospect, under contract with some demonstrated potential. Most teams that lose a starter for an extended period of time will actively try and find or recycle an experienced QB. There shouldn't be an expectation that a 3 elevated to the 2 spot is going to be a bonafide replacement right form the get go. That is a hope and not a plan.

There is a strong case and you are 100% wrong with your accusations. I couldn't care less who wins 3rd string QB.

Only in your mind. 

Only in your mind.
And Kirk Penton who speaks with Kyle Walters all the time.

How is Portis on 3rd and short? Whether you think Marve, Portis or Brohm are better, we need one guy who can consistently get us a yard on those short down conversions, and Marve is that guy. Also wouldn't mind letting him throw a deep pass on a second and short.

Marve was bad at sneaks last year and our base short-yardage play shifted to the riskier off-guard play rather than a play that is safe and should be quite easy in a sneak.  Another good point about our QB situation, we either need someone who can sneak or need to work more at teaching the guys we have to do it well.

How is Portis on 3rd and short? Whether you think Marve, Portis or Brohm are better, we need one guy who can consistently get us a yard on those short down conversions, and Marve is that guy. Also wouldn't mind letting him throw a deep pass on a second and short.

Marve was bad at sneaks last year and our base short-yardage play shifted to the riskier off-guard play rather than a play that is safe and should be quite easy in a sneak. Another good point about our QB situation, we either need someone who can sneak or need to work more at teaching the guys we have to do it well.

The effectiveness of sneaks and short-yardage plays seemed to improve as the season went on.

As it stands cutting Marve in favour of Portis would be a terrible football decision. Marve is much better right now.

Is he? I didn't watch the game but people who were watching the stream said he was inconsistent.

I trust the coaching staff whatever they do will be the right choice.

Inconsistent maybe, but he was still more effective than anyone not named Willy. 6.9 yards per play in which he was involved and 14 points scored overall. No matter how you look at it, Marve has been able to move the offense and put points on the board on a consistent basis. It would be absolutely foolish to cut the guy.

You remind me of Roadgriller and his fetish for Goltz.

BTW I'm not saying Marve is anything like Goltz.

Except Roadgriller had ZERO stats to back up his love for Goltz.

Goltz had plenty of TDs.  Those are stats.  

Plenty.  IMO, Goltzdeserved a better chance at starting.  Named one week, 3rd string the next.  

As it stands cutting Marve in favour of Portis would be a terrible football decision. Marve is much better right now.

Is he? I didn't watch the game but people who were watching the stream said he was inconsistent.

Inconsistent maybe, but he was still more effective than anyone not named Willy. 6.9 yards per play in which he was involved and 14 points scored overall. No matter how you look at it, Marve has been able to move the offense and put points on the board on a consistent basis. It would be absolutely foolish to cut the guy.

Goltz had plenty of TDs. Those are stats.

Plenty. IMO, Goltzdeserved a better chance at starting. Named one week, 3rd string the next.

Goltz couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with a beachball from 2 feet away.

Plenty.  IMO, Goltzdeserved a better chance at starting.  Named one week, 3rd string the next.  

Yeah he was very good in short yardage situations but that's it.

You need a decent push up front to run the sneak properly; that was the main problem last year.

Run blocking was not bad last year, rarely is at this level.  Marve is very good at the off-guard play, but that wastes a lot of steps behind the LOS and gives the defence a time to make a play behind the LOS.  From watching Portis attempt a couple sneaks in Toronto, he has no idea how to do it either.  It's rarely used in American football, but is a staple of Canadian football.  Needs to be taught.

Again, I like Marve and I think he's better then Goltz, but he hasn't shown us squat.  You talk about stats?  These are his stats:

2014: 11-22 attempts, for 140 yards and 1 TD

2015 PRESEASON stats (again this is preseason where he's not even going up against the best of the Argo's): 4-9 attempts for 42 yards and 1TD

If you put this years and last years stats together, he's below a 50% completion rating.

Goltz's completion percentage was 50% as a third string for his first 2 years.  After his third year it went up to 55%:  88-160 attempts for 961 yards

So you tell me, where are these stats you speak of to back up your love for Marve?

Marve hasn't done much of anything yet and some of you are practically proclaiming him the next starter already.  It's like everyone says around here, the third string QB is always our best.

Again, I like Marve and I think he's better then Goltz, but he hasn't shown us squat.  You talk about stats?  These are his stats:

2014: 11-22 attempts, for 140 yards and 1 TD

2015 PRESEASON stats (again this is preseason where he's not even going up against the best of the Argo's): 4-9 attempts for 42 yards and 1TD

If you put this years and last years stats together, he's below a 50% completion rating.

Goltz's completion percentage was 50% as a third string for his first 2 years.  After his third year it went up to 55%:  88-160 attempts for 961 yards

So you tell me, where are these stats you speak of to back up your love for Marve?

Marve hasn't done much of anything yet and some of you are practically proclaiming him the next starter already.  It's like everyone says around here, the third string QB is always our best.

Marve's stats from last year are extremely misleading (and I can elaborate on that if you want me to). It's rather pointless to draw conclusions from his completion percentage.

In this last preseason game, he certainly could have been better but he was still more effective than Brohm and Portis, as he gained an average of 6.9 yards per play in which he was involved, while also putting 14 points on the board. The objective of football is to move the chains and score some points is it not? Well no matter how you look at it, Marve has been able to do those things effectively and on a consistent basis so far.

Historically the 3rd guy is a cheap prospect, under contract with some demonstrated potential. Most teams that lose a starter for an extended period of time will actively try and find or recycle an experienced QB. There shouldn't be an expectation that a 3 elevated to the 2 spot is going to be a bonafide replacement right form the get go. That is a hope and not a plan.

Who makes up these rules?