21 Canadians

Atomic

I asked myself today, "If the season started tomorrow, who would be the 21 Canadians on the roster?"  Assuming Richards and Wagonner both sign.  This is what I came up with:

3 DL - Westerman, Brown, Thomas
4 LB - Hurl, Wagonner, Newman, Briggs
3 DB - Bucknor, Jones, Morgan
4 OL - Greaves, Picard, Neufeld, Chungh
3 WR - Kohlert, Feoli-Gudino, Richards
2 FB - Pontbriand, Cronk
1 RB - Normand
1 PK - Hajrullahu

------

There were some tough decisions to make.  However most of the remaining guys will still end up with the team in some way... on the reserve list, practice roster, or injured lists.  Here are the guys who didn't quite make the cut:

DL - Richardson
LB - Warden
DB - Sherman, West
OL - Goossen, Everett, Griffiths
WR - Bastien, Millington, Reaves
FB - Fitzgerald, Lattanzio

Of course this is all just my opinion.  Let's hear what you think.... too many linebackers, not enough receivers?  Too many fullbacks, not enough defensive backs?  Morgan making the team over Sherman?  Am I drunk?  It's 9 a.m!  But I haven't slept in days.

Here's my mine

on 44 (21)

4 LB - Hurl, Wagonner, Briggs

2 S - Newman, Sherman
3 CB - Bucknor, Jones,
4 OL - Chungh, Picard, Goossen, Neufeld
2 FB - Pontbriand, Cronk
1 RB - Normand
1 PK - Hajrullahu

on 46 (2)

OL - Greaves

DL - Richardson

on PR or sent back to school or hidden on IR:

DB - Warden - sent back to school ?

DB - Morgan - sent back to school ?

WR - Bastien - PR

WR - Reaves - PR

DL - Lattanzio - PR

QB - Yantz - hidden in IR

S - West - hidden in IR, I would like to see him hit Watson again. :P this time, coach will not be mad at him.

possiblly cut

FB - Fitzgerald

WR - Millington

OL - Griffiths

Some good players on the outside looking in. Could Lattanzio win a job over Pontbriand? It seems some folks are all over Sherman but I wouldn't be surprised to see Bucknor, Sherman and Jones on the 21. On the other hand, with the new kick rules, it might come down to speed on ST and younger legs so you could be right and we'll see Morgan. Not sure how cap hits are to be balanced but there's a lot of salary chewed up on the O line and an improved Canuck LB corps. Could we see Neufeld on the IR again and Goossen on the 21?

DL: Westerman, Brown, Thomas

LB: Hurl, Newman, Wagonner

db/s: Bucknor, Jones, Sherman, Morgan

OL: Greaves, Neufeld, Picard, Chungh

rec: Kohlert, JFG, Richards

rb/fb: Normand, Pontbriand

s/t: Cronk, LH

Goossen & Bastien stay on the 46. If Morgan is eligible to go back to school, Briggs might get the final spot on the team before him.

competition among the "National"s is one of the best things to see for the BB in a long time. I get a bit of a tear in my eye over it. Years ago some of the best players were Nationals. I hope those days come again and they should as there are more Canadians playing in the big time NCAA  all the time and the CIS seems to be improving in quality too.

Some good players on the outside looking in. Could Lattanzio win a job over Pontbriand? It seems some folks are all over Sherman but I wouldn't be surprised to see Bucknor, Sherman and Jones on the 21. On the other hand, with the new kick rules, it might come down to speed on ST and younger legs so you could be right and we'll see Morgan. Not sure how cap hits are to be balanced but there's a lot of salary chewed up on the O line and an improved Canuck LB corps. Could we see Neufeld on the IR again and Goossen on the 21?

I really don't think Lattanzio is competing to be the starting FB. I think they're looking at him to be used as a FB in certain situations, like Vega lining up as a TE on the odd occasion.

I asked myself today, "If the season started tomorrow, who would be the 21 Canadians on the roster?"  Assuming Richards and Wagonner both sign.  This is what I came up with:

2 FB - Pontbriand, Cronk

1 RB - Normand

1 PK - Hajrullahu

------

There were some tough decisions to make.  However most of the remaining guys will still end up with the team in some way... on the reserve list, practice roster, or injured lists.  Here are the guys who didn't quite make the cut:

DL - Richardson

LB - Warden

DB - Sherman, West

Of course this is all just my opinion.  Let's hear what you think.... too many linebackers, not enough receivers?  Too many fullbacks, not enough defensive backs?  Morgan making the team over Sherman?  Am I drunk?  It's 9 a.m!  But I haven't slept in days.

Who is Cronk & why do you like him?

2 FB - Pontbriand, Cronk

1 RB - Normand

1 PK - Hajrullahu

------

DL - Richardson

LB - Warden

DB - Sherman, West

Cronk will be the LS.

I really don't think Lattanzio is competing to be the starting FB. I think they're looking at him to be used as a FB in certain situations, like Vega lining up as a TE on the odd occasion.

Sure. But they're also looking for impact on ST, especially with the rule changes which will change the kick game substantially. Didn't Walters call Lattanzio "a rolling ball of razor blades?" So what's the point of having a guy like that sitting on the PR?

I like Wally Buono's philosophy: all the NI rookie's play special teams first year, not much else ... maybe late in the year they might get to start

I also think a draft pick on the PR is a waste...

time for Goosen to step up

Sure. But they're also looking for impact on ST, especially with the rule changes which will change the kick game substantially. Didn't Walters call Lattanzio "a rolling ball of razor blades?" So what's the point of having a guy like that sitting on the PR?

Exactly. He will be a special teamer who may line up in special packages on Offence. And perhaps serve as an emergency replacement on the DL, which is his true position.

I'm happy that gone are the days when a guy like Brock Ralph hung on because the team wasn't able to find someone slightly less inept.  Having to let talented guys go because there is no room for them is a problem that we haven't had to worry about in many a moon.

Tim Cronk, long snapper and fullback who has played for the Lions and Riders.

I don't particularly like him but we need a long snapper and the only alternative at the moment appears to be Fitzgerald.  And he's not very good at it.

I don't particularly like him but we need a long snapper and the only alternative at the moment appears to be Fitzgerald.  And he's not very good at it.

There might be one or two more long-snappers coming in soon. 

There might be one or two more long-snappers coming in soon. 

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting

Number of "starters" in brackets after position.

DL (1) - Westerman, Thomas, Brown

LB (1)- Hurl, Waggoner, Briggs

DB (1)- Bucknor, Jones, Sherman, West

OL (3)- Picard, Greaves, Chungh, Goossen

REC (1)- Kohlert, Feoli-Gudino, Bastien

RB- Pontbriand

LS- Cronk

K- Hajrullahu

Everyone else is battling for the 21st spot on the game roster.

I truly hope that what Walters said about potentially starting 8 Canadians on opening day is not true. Unless he's counting Lirim.

I seem to recall us doing this last year with Sherman over Johnny Sears to predictably pedestrian results.

Maybe Yantz out-duels Willy for the starting QB position?  :)