UFA and RFA

Ducky

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 7m7 minutes ago

Note: Even tho LAK terminated Richards' contract, they are still responsible for a cap recapture amount, per CBA.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 5m5 minutes ago

If Richards/NHLPA file grievance over LAK termination, it will be heard by joint-appointed NHL-NHLPA Impartial Arbitrator.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 4m4 minutes ago

Grievances often takes months, sometimes years, to be heard but request can be made for expedited hearing that sometimes take days or weeks.

Article 14 of the collective bargaining agreement says a contract can be terminated if a player shall "fail, refuse or neglect to obey the Club's rules governing training and conduct of Players."

Kings GM Dean Lombardi met with Richards at his summer home in Kenora, Ont., at that time before electing not to use a compliance buyout on the remainder of his deal.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kings-terminate-mike-richards-contract-cite-breach/

This is going to be a long drawn out court battle with the NHLPA.  You wonder if it was lack of training or something more going on with Richards behind the scenes.

This definitely was an earlier problem that the Kings thought was dealt with but maybe it was a only temporary fix.

Last summer general manager Dean Lombardi didn’t use a compliance buyout on Richards, which would have led to no salary cap penalty, believing Richards re-dedication to physical fitness could bring him back to form

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/kings-put-mike-richards-on-waivers--buyout-likely-183859090.html

There is a long history of Mike Richards "extracarriculars" that go back to his Philly days (maybe further?) so it's really no surprise...

The surprise is when was the last time that this clause was ever exercised?

It is likely going to be a long drawn out battle, although I have heard speculation that Richards won't want whatever this is to come out and may accept the ruling.   This is probably the reason LA is quiet on the reasons why.   Accept this and no one will know, fight it and it will all come out in the media.

Whatever it is, hope Richards is okay. 

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 5m5 minutes ago

If Richards/NHLPA file grievance over LAK termination, it will be heard by joint-appointed NHL-NHLPA Impartial Arbitrator.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 4m4 minutes ago

Grievances often takes months, sometimes years, to be heard but request can be made for expedited hearing that sometimes take days or weeks.

Dunno why it would takes months years. It;'s not like the NHL is full of them.

geez the Kings win two cups and the players become a bunch of out of control children (why can't they be more like the Chicago Blackhawks?)

Did you not hear about Patrick Sharp's antics?

I assumed they were being sarcastic. Between Kane and Sharp, that team has been a gong show held together by Toews and Keith...

geez the Kings win two cups and the players become a bunch of out of control children (why can't they be more like the Chicago Blackhawks?)

Wasn't he the one that got suspended indefinitely due to domestic violence? (kind of makes me glad that Bettman isn't a pushover on that issue) 

I assumed they were being sarcastic. Between Kane and Sharp, that team has been a gong show held together by Toews and Keith...

Keith is no choir boy

Kessel's owed 10, 9, 9, 7, 7, 6, 6 for the next seven years.

If TO retains 2 it would be 8, 7, 7, 5, 5, 4, 4.

That is cheap for Kessel, the thing is it is an 8m caphit.

If TO retains 2 it would be a 6m caphit.

That's not too too bad.

I wouldn't give more than Armia, Comrie and a 1st.

Kessel's owed 10, 9, 9, 7, 7, 6, 6 for the next seven years.

If TO retains 2 it would be 8, 7, 7, 5, 5, 4, 4.

That is cheap for Kessel, the thing is it is an 8m caphit.

If TO retains 2 it would be a 6m caphit.

That's not too too bad.

I wouldn't give more than Armia, Comrie and a 1st.

50 percent retained and i think most teams would give toronto what they want

What's the scoop with buyouts?  Once they clear waivers they are UFAs?  Parenteau or Hodgson would be good depth pickups.

I believe the waivers happen first.  A player could be taken off waivers and only pay him half his contract (the team placing him on waivers would be responsible for the other half.  A team has several options once a players clears waivers.  Usually we know the intent is to buy him out just from media speculation and insiders and common sense but they dont have to.  For example, Mike Richards...everyone assumed he was waived for purposes of a buy out.  Instead he was Terminated. 

But once they clear waivers, the team must still take action to either keep the player, terminate the player, trade the player or buy out the player.  If bought out (or Terminated) they are Unrestricted Free Agents.  Currently, those guys, including Richards, are UFA's.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/story/_/id/13173411/royal-canadian-mounted-police-investigation-involves-mike-richards-source

Mike Richards, whose contract has been terminated by the Los Angeles Kings, is part of an ongoing investigation by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for an off-ice incident, a source told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

A spokesperson for the RCMP in Manitoba told ESPN that, as of Tuesday, no charges have been brought against Richards but declined to comment further.

The source said that Canadian Border Services is also involved in the investigation, but a spokesperson declined comment, citing Canadian privacy laws.

Richards, a two-time Stanley Cup champion, had the remaining five years of his 12-year contract terminated Monday by the Kings. The team did not say why Richards is in violation of the deal other than to say in a statement that it was for "a material breach of the requirements of his Standard Player's Contract."

Several sources told ESPN.com that the Kings were made aware of the situation involving the Canadian authorities Friday, approximately an hour after the first round of the 2015 NHL draft had begun.

According to a source, the Kings did inform the league about their intent to terminate Richards' contract, even before putting him on unconditional waivers Sunday. The NHL Players' Association has a right to file a grievance for Richards and is in the process of gathering information before deciding whether to go that route.

"We are in the process of reviewing the facts and circumstances of this matter, and will discuss the situation with the player in order to determine the appropriate course of action," NHLPA spokesman Jonathan Weatherdon said Monday in a statement.

The Kings were already in the process of trying to trade Richards -- discussions were in place with both the Edmonton Oilers and the Calgary Flames -- but Kings general manager Dean Lombardi immediately informed both teams upon learning about the situation that he had no prior knowledge of the incident and halted those talks.

"He came right over to me," Oilers general manager Peter Chiarelli confirmed to ESPN.com. "He pulled me aside and said, 'Hey, Pete, this is going to come out. I had no idea. This is important you know so that talks [don't go any] further.'"

Lombardi did the same with Flames GM Brad Treliving on the draft floor, Treliving confirmed.

It is not immediately clear when the incident took place.

Richards was earning $5.75 million per season as part of a $69 million deal that was scheduled to run out in 2020. The 30-year-old veteran had cleared unconditional waivers Sunday. The deadline for the first buyout window is June 30.