UFA and RFA

Ducky

Honestly believe that having actual fans and noise at games plays a role for a guy like Stafford - he knew what winning was once... a long time ago...

Could shape up as...

Ladd-Little-Wheeler

Ehlers-Scheifele-Stafford

Perrault-Lowry-Copp

Thorburn-ODell-Peluso

Frolik would really help that lineup... unless Petan or Armia steps up, still pretty young though

I like it but I would have Copp at centre on the 4th line, cut Odell, and sign a free agent RW.

Honestly believe that having actual fans and noise at games plays a role for a guy like Stafford - he knew what winning was once... a long time ago...

Could shape up as...

Ladd-Little-Wheeler

Ehlers-Scheifele-Stafford

Perrault-Lowry-Copp

Thorburn-ODell-Peluso

Frolik would really help that lineup... unless Petan or Armia steps up, still pretty young though

I like it but I would have Copp at centre on the 4th line, cut Odell, and sign a free agent RW.

Odell isnt long for the NHL.

Copp is the 4C

Top six look good with Stafford back.  But we're still thin after that.  Perrault will be a very good 3LW and the first guy to move up in injury situations but the depth in the middle to low six is not great.

If the Jets are eager to move up in the draft to grab a stud D-man, part of their plan might be to move Buff to fill in the middle six. 

If they get the 3rd pick and draft one of the two D men slated to go, it solidifies the D for years and still leaves someone expendable.  Then you flip Buff and you're golden.

Toby - Myers

Hanifin-Trouba

Stuart- ???

With Morrissey and a couple other prospects coming up.  Looks good.

I'm leary of pencilling in any 1st year rookie D-Man onto the 2nd pairing, let alone making the roster, regardless of how highly touted they are.

Even if we move up and draft Hanifin, no guarantee he is on the team next year.    Don't want to rush defensemen.

I'm not sure it's hanifin the jets want. I think it's either provorov or marner and possibly werenski from Michigan. They only spoke to hanifin at the combine not in Florida

That doesn't mean much if there is nothing more they want to discuss with him.

Having said that, no one really knows who they want to move up for.  It could even be Strome.

Odds are the Jets would surprise people lol

Supposedly Hanifin is thought of by all as an NHL'er this coming season.  I forgot about Chiarot though.  I wonder if he could switch to the RHD.

Chances are Jets wont move up.  But havent really heard them targeting other picks other then generalized "they want into the top ten".  If their main focus is #3 its because there is someone they absolutely want and are worried will be gone at 3.  Odds are thats Hanifin or Strome.

Strome makes no sense. He's a center. Little Scheif Lowry copp. No spot. Marner can play RW. Seriously if they gave up both picks plus Burmistrov for 3 and took strome that'd be awful but there's no doubt it's for one of the 3 d men.

Strome makes no sense. He's a center. Little Scheif Lowry copp. No spot. Marner can play RW. Seriously if they gave up both picks plus Burmistrov for 3 and took strome that'd be awful but there's no doubt it's for one of the 3 d men.

Little could easily be moved over to the wing.

You draft d-men and centres first, wingers only if their talent is far above that of the other two.

A centre can play wing much easier than a wing can play centre.

Also you don't draft for your lineup today, you draft the best player for a lineup tomorrow.

You draft d-men and centres first, wingers only if their talent is far above that of the other two.

Also you don't draft for your lineup today, you draft the best player for a lineup tomorrow.

I agree.  But I would also be disappointed if the Jets moved up to #3 and took Strome.

Little, Scheif, Lowry, Copp are all young so they are set for years.  Little doesnt like playing wing as much as center.  Perreault is also a center.  So is Petan.  You always want to be improving, but I dont think Center is the greatest need for the Jets.  And really, neither is D.  But if its Hanifin they want, you're talking about a franchise LHD to go with our franchise RHD Trouba.  Then they start filling in some of the mid six and you could have a contender for 10 years.

Craig CustanceVerified account ‏@CraigCustance

There's a gap in early contract talks between Jets & Byfuglien. Have to wonder if they'd move him rather than let him play out final year.

Move him now

Absolutely.  Well...after the free agency firestorm settles probably.  When teams take stock of what they have and what they need.  Though Philly picks 7th in the draft and have long been interested in Buff.  Maybe a deal could be made with draft picks included.

I agree.  But I would also be disappointed if the Jets moved up to #3 and took Strome.

Little, Scheif, Lowry, Copp are all young so they are set for years.  Little doesnt like playing wing as much as center.  Perreault is also a center.  So is Petan.  You always want to be improving, but I dont think Center is the greatest need for the Jets.  And really, neither is D.  But if its Hanifin they want, you're talking about a franchise LHD to go with our franchise RHD Trouba.  Then they start filling in some of the mid six and you could have a contender for 10 years.

I don't know a whole lot about Strome, and I'm not petitioning for them to do so, but my argument was more that suggesting you don't draft a centre because we are set is not sound logic in the NHL.

I don't think Petan will be big enough to play centre in the NHL.  Same with Perreault, he didn't play much centre last year.

I'm not sure that Sheifele will ever be a true #1 centre.  He is still young for sure, but just get the feeling he is destined to be a good #2 option.   Is Strome that future #1 centre?  Not sure.

Scheif could end up a #1 in the vein of Little who isnt flashy or a top point getter but a very sound #1.  Scheif is still very young.  Id want him to improve this season somewhat significantly.  Maybe with some regular line-mates he will.  either Perrault or Ehlers will be with him and either Wheeler or Stafford.  All those options should see his point totals increase.

gary lawless         @garylawless

Source involved with talks between #nhljets and Drew Stafford says they "are working hard," on putting a deal together #bn

**I find this interesting.  Why wouldnt Stafford wil til Wednesday?

The Jets have probably told him they would like to have some roster certainty before free agency begins.  Are they buyers or not?  They want Stafford to stay.  Stafford looks like he wants to stay.  But if this draws out and Stafford signs elsewhere the Jets may wish they moved on a different player sooner.  Maybe it's one of their own pending FA's that they'd try harder to keep if they know Stafford is gone.  Maybe it's going strong after another team's FA.  They could be pitching that guy on becoming a Jet right now if they felt Stafford needed to be replaced.  So they tell him if he wants to be here they'd really like to push to get this done.  He understands and will at least try to push to get it done too.

gary lawless         @garylawless

Source involved with talks between #nhljets and Drew Stafford says they "are working hard," on putting a deal together #bn

**I find this interesting.  Why wouldnt Stafford wil til Wednesday?

The Jets have probably told him they would like to have some roster certainty before free agency begins.  Are they buyers or not?  They want Stafford to stay.  Stafford looks like he wants to stay.  But if this draws out and Stafford signs elsewhere the Jets may wish they moved on a different player sooner.  Maybe it's one of their own pending FA's that they'd try harder to keep if they know Stafford is gone.  Maybe it's going strong after another team's FA.  They could be pitching that guy on becoming a Jet right now if they felt Stafford needed to be replaced.  So they tell him if he wants to be here they'd really like to push to get this done.  He understands and will at least try to push to get it done too.

You could be right.

What I find interesting is the Jets have seemingly made offers to both Stafford and Frolik yet they dont appear to be connected.  For example, if Stafford doesnt sign, the Jets could up the offer to Frolik feeling they need a top six winger.  Its like they have their budget and their value and thats it.

I wouldn't be crying any tears if we ended up with either one of Hanifin or Strome.  If we move Morrissey for #3 then it's gotta be Hanifin, otherwise I'm not sure.  I like both.

If the Jets can land #3, pick Hanifin and keep Morrissey, the D is set for 15 years.

If only it was that simple but this is the salary cap era.  Can't keep everyone.

Its like they have their budget and their value and thats it.

I'm sure they do.  They should.  You can't abandon the plan willy nilly.  If it works to revise it, then do that, but chasing after Frolik will have consequences down the road.  What will Trouba's next contract look like?  Watching him disappear over a million dollars that got shifted to Frolik's contract is a no-brainer bad idea.  Stick to the plan, which usually means stick to the budget.  If they can find more money for Frolik, so be it, but they'd better know exactly where that money is coming from in the roster budget and what the potential consequences are.

I wouldn't be crying any tears if we ended up with either one of Hanifin or Strome.  If we move Morrissey for #3 then it's gotta be Hanifin, otherwise I'm not sure.  I like both.

If the Jets can land #3, pick Hanifin and keep Morrissey, the D is set for 15 years.

If only it was that simple but this is the salary cap era.  Can't keep everyone.

Lets say they draft Hanifin.  His rookie deal kicks in this year.  Is Morrissey one year behind?  I guess theyd be the same... well, gives them some cost certainty for a few years.  Trouba will re-up long term next year.  Myers is under long term (and a great friggin deal that gets lower as they years progress).  And then assume Toby ages out, so you've got his money to spend when Hanifin needs a big contract. 

Jets are seemingly managing their cap very well.  The next two years will tell the tale with Ladd, Buff, Trouba, Scheif, Lowry coming due.

Kind of crazy that we seem ready to ditch Morrisey before anyone's really seen what he can do... be very surprised if he doesn't see some playing time with Jets after first injury, maybe even secure a spot like Chiarot

On other teams, he would probably be in the league already - Chevy is very conservative with development

Do we really need Hanifin when we have Trouba?  Develop Morrissey and another solid D prospect (who knows who falls to 17th...) seems like more of a Chevy thing to do, plus Kostalek seems to be performing better than people thought.

Yeah they're managing the cap well but its never as simple as making a couple draft picks and then being set for a decade. There will be more draft picks to come, some players won't pan out, some will want more money than we're willing to pay. Realistically in today's NHL you can pick 4 or 5 guys you want to build around and then the rest of the roster is fluid from year to year.