UFA and RFA

Ducky

I cant see them carrying Slater and Copp...but going with only Copp is a risk for a rookie even if he shows well.  I wonder if it comes down to Burmi who is a natural center.  Surely Burmi would be appalled to be the 4th line center but he'd be an option there in a pinch.

I recall Chevy saying theyd likely carry more contracts than they had in the past.  Is it 50 maximum?  I think Chevy said they'd be up around 47.

I cant see them carrying Slater and Copp...but going with only Copp is a risk for a rookie even if he shows well.  I wonder if it comes down to Burmi who is a natural center.  Surely Burmi would be appalled to be the 4th line center but he'd be an option there in a pinch.

I recall Chevy saying theyd likely carry more contracts than they had in the past.  Is it 50 maximum?  I think Chevy said they'd be up around 47.

It is 50 contracts but I don't think that has anything to do with them choosing to keep both Slater and Copp as options on the 4th line.  You still have a maximum number of players you can have up with the club.

The 50 contracts is the maximum any team can have including players signed that are in the minors and juniors I believe.  This is actually one of the benefits of drafting players out of the NCAA and USHL, because you can't sign those players to a contract while they are down there (well NCAA for sure).  So you don't burn one of your 50 on those players but still retain their rights.  Being close to the max is more a result of how many prospects we have coming up.

I'd be surprised if Slater is back.  With all the prospects now coming up the Jets really need to start adding at least 2 a year.  Copp, Ehlers, Morrissey, Petan, Armia, all possibilities this year.

My money is on Copp and Ehlers.

Well, if Burmi is appalled to be 4th line center, the Jets can ship his ass out now then. That's reality. Burmi has earned nothing, If i'm the Jets, i don't offer him very much at all, i might even try to sign him to a 2 way deal, because who knows what the guy is all about. If he's appalled to play 4th line center, well then too bad so sad, stay in russia really.

Slater is gone for sure, it's obvious he was gone the second the season ended, just like it's obvious Frolik is gone too. Slater would look good wearing moose colors but no way is in the Jets plans. Not a chance regardless of what they "might have" told him. 

Very reasonable cash and term.

I like it.

I think it's too much cash for the points he provides, and unlike Frolik with Stafford you're pretty much paying for points.  And it's possible a little extra was thrown on top to get him to agree to the shortened term.

That said I'm sure that other teams would offer him a similar contract in a heartbeat, so I suppose I'm really just disagreeing with the current market valuation most players in the NHL are getting.

Love the Stafford signing, good term and good value. Really solidifes our Top 6 now.

Ladd-Little-Perrault

Wheeler-Schiefele-Stafford

Plus Lowry to centre the third line with (hopefully) a returning Stempniak + 1 (Ehlers, although if he makes the team he probably plays Top 6), then Copp, Thorburn and X on the 4th Line.

This was a signing we needed to make with Frolik leaving. That line was really good for us down the stretch last year.

It's confirmed, Saad for Dano and Anisimov. Crazy deal, Guess nobody wanted patrick sharp so the hawks had to trade one of their young studs away. Saad is really good and was hoping if he was gonna get moved that Chevy would have been on it. I doubt the hawks would trade him in the division but still... 

Ladd, Versteeg, Boland, Byfuglien.

All guys Chicago has had to move over the years and replenish from within.  They just keep on trucking.

Be curious to see how Anisimov does on a team like Chicago.

Just listening to H&L right now.  

Apparently Stafford's agent said they had lots of other offers and interest from other teams, they liked the fit with the Jets.  Good opportunity for Stafford.  And they are the ones that wanted the shorter 2 year term.

Stafford being 29, figures he can revitalize his career in Winnipeg compared to what he was doing in Buffalo and cash in on one last big contract at 31.

Hopefully for the Jets, we have some of the young guys moving in are in a better position to let him go.

TMZ

NHL officials have been notified that the Royal Canadian Mounted Police investigation into ex-L.A. Kings player Mike Richards involves the prescription drug oxycodone ... multiple sources tell TMZ Sports.

Our sources say Richards was stopped while crossing from United States into Canada earlier this month ... and we're told he was questioned about oxycodone pills, a powerful painkiller.

For the record, Richards has NOT been charged with a crime.

However, he has since been cut from the team for "a material breach of the requirements of his Standard Player's Contract."

We reached out to Richards' agent for comment multiple times but haven't heard back. Canadian officials refused to comment, citing privacy laws.

But a rep for the NHL Players Association tells us, "We are in the process of reviewing the facts and circumstances of this matter, and will discuss the situation with the player in order to determine the appropriate course of action."

I think those players are closer to playing in the NHL than draft picks would be (1 year away now + waiting for them to develop).  Chicago needs cheap players now to fill out their roster now.

Dano was a late 1st round pick in 2013 (27th overall) and on a cheap entry level deal.

Anisimov is a 3rd line player making $3M

Morin and Tropp were throw ins and bottom line players,

Regarding Richards, it's better than what I was thinking. I would suspect It might be a matter of having a prescription.

I too love Percocet...when needed. It's wonderful. And I was going to take some on my last vacation but opted not to for this very reason. Border.

I can certainly see athletes having percs even if they buy them outside of legitimate means. Surprised that would result in a contract termination especially as Id assume if he is addicted there wokld be steps taken to help him before firing him.

good grief, so should the jets go after a duck again? (hey why not we did it last year and got Matthieu Perrealt, and if the Ducks are going to go through the Canucks garbage, that will be a nightmare (geez they already got Kessler #ProtectTheSedinBoys