UFA and RFA

Ducky

http://www.thescore.com/news/699212

Evander Kane apparently wasn't the only disgruntled player looking for a new home in Wednesday's blockbuster trade between the Winnipeg Jets and the Buffalo Sabres.

Brendan Lemieux was far from the centerpiece of the deal, but he was included because his father and agent Claude Lemieux told the Sabres his son wouldn't sign with them, according to TSN radio reporter A.J. Jakubec.

You would think a kid would be happy to sign with any team that wanted him. The whole I won't sign with you thing is so last century/Lindrosian.

I liked Lemeieux's point totals with Barrie but his penalty minutes were pretty high and he also had a pretty bad +/- rating.

Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM 2014-15 Regular Season Barrie Colts 57 41 19 60 -9 145 2013-14 Regular Season Barrie Colts 65 27 26 53 -5 145 2012-13 Regular Season Barrie Colts 42 6 8 14 2 52 Total 164 74 53 127 -12 342

The table won't post properly, but he played 164 games with Barrie, had 127 points and 342 penalty minutes, and was a career -12.  On a pretty good team.

Plus Minus needs to be put in to context a bit, it's not the greatest stat cuz... really, let's put it like this... I'll just use current jets players for this example..

Ladd,Little,Wheeler, Toby,Myers are on the ice. The puck is in our zone.. Wheeler goes to change let's say and while that is happening, the other team gets a scoring chance and eventually puts it in the net but wheeler gets to the bench b4 the puck goes in and Perreault comes on to the ice, well that minus wouldn't go to Wheeler, he was on the bench, it would go to perreault, even tho he just stepped on to the ice and was nowhere near the play. 

Plus Minus is pretty misleading... Lemieux has some skills, he's probably a bottom 6 guy for sure, ideally on the 4th line... Probably take him over Thorburn and Peluso every day cuz at least the guy has some offensive ability. 

Plus Minus needs to be put in to context a bit, it's not the greatest stat cuz... really, let's put it like this... I'll just use current jets players for this example..

Ladd,Little,Wheeler, Toby,Myers are on the ice. The puck is in our zone.. Wheeler goes to change let's say and while that is happening, the other team gets a scoring chance and eventually puts it in the net but wheeler gets to the bench b4 the puck goes in and Perreault comes on to the ice, well that minus wouldn't go to Wheeler, he was on the bench, it would go to perreault, even tho he just stepped on to the ice and was nowhere near the play. 

Plus Minus is pretty misleading... Lemieux has some skills, he's probably a bottom 6 guy for sure, ideally on the 4th line... Probably take him over Thorburn and Peluso every day cuz at least the guy has some offensive ability.

Yeah I don't mean that I think Lemieux isn't going to be a good player for the Jets, and a potential leader on the ice like his dad was, but I just found his high penalty minutes and plus/minus a bit disconcerting, in that to me it might be a sign of not being disciplined.

He takes penalties for sure but I think that can be coached a bit. He's a tough kid. Sticks up for his team mates. 4th liner ideally but him and Lowry together on the third might be interesting

Yeah throw those two out there (Lemieux and Lowry) with a skill guy like Armia and you might just have dynamite. Love to see them try that combo in training camp.

We really don't need any more D.  We have 9 under contract right now.

Enstrom Myers

Chiarot Trouba

Stuart Byguflien

Postma

Pardy

Harrisson 

Then Clitsome if he can play next year.

A top 6 forward and a 4th line winger would be nice.   Don't think the top 6 is really out there though.

Burmi went home to play for his hometown team, Can't really fault the guy for doing that. Seems like he's matured a bit actually, i hope so at least. Oduya? LOL, not a chance, there is a reason he is still a free agent as of today too, it's because he's over pricing himself, he wasn't very good here the first time around and theres no chance in hell that he's brought back. 

Oduya played like he wanted out but Burmistrov didn't...  ooookay.

I guess we got what a 2nd and 3rd rounder(?) for Oduya because he was playing so poorly.

Oduya is a pretty good D but like most Jets, we ask for a greater role than they are meant for. 

I'll be surprised if Burmistrov doesn't end up as a healthy scratch by late season.  Just seems like another Setoguchi to me.

Oduya played like he wanted out but Burmistrov didn't...  ooookay.

I guess we got what a 2nd and 3rd rounder(?) for Oduya because he was playing so poorly.

Oduya is a pretty good D but like most Jets, we ask for a greater role than they are meant for. 

I'll be surprised if Burmistrov doesn't end up as a healthy scratch by late season.  Just seems like another Setoguchi to me.

Im not sure you watched many games that first season.

Oduya wasnt asked to play above his ability here.  He played far better at a higher level in Chicago.  He didnt want to be here.  He is a good D man.  That coupled with it being a deadline deal and Chicago wanting him and the market at the time allowed the Jets to get the return they did.

Burmi played infinitely better than Setoguchi here.  Effort was never Burmi's problem.  You dont get PK time if your effort sucks.  He wont be a healthy scratch here.  I'd be very very surprised.  There is a better chance of him successfully filling a top six role than being a healthy scratch by season's end in my opinion.

Great analysis of Andrew Ladd's market value:

http://illegalcurve.com/2015/07/06/what-is-the-fair-market-value-of-jets-captain-andrew-ladd/

"Therefore, in conclusion, it would be reasonable to set Andrew Ladd’s next contract value on a sliding scale:

$7.0 million per season on a four-year term

$6.75 million per season on a five-term term"

$6.5 million per season on a six-year term and

$6.25 million per season on a seven-year term