CFL proposed rule changes for 2015

gbill2004

Why stop at just these rules? Why not make the dbs run backwards at all times? Maybe let each team carry a bear on their roster?

The designated import spot has now been replaced by the "wildlife" spot where teams will be allowed to roster either a bear, deer or moose.

I would like to see a Moose lined up at DT... good luck stopping that... until they implement the "designated Ford F150 for O-line" rule... then it might be close...

Ha, ford F150 tryin to stop a moose? We're better off lining up Will ford against it.

I actually like the idea of the convert being harder to get by putting it out to 32.  It gives more chances for a return even if it is only for two points and I also think it should be if the player opts to return the ball they get it at that point on the field.  Though not sure if that is how they are doing it.  I believe this would mean teams might go for the two point convert more often although I believe 3 yards is too close.  I might agree more with 4 yards myself.

Not sure how to respond on the DB rule; if it is no grabbing but they are allowed to jostle then I think it is okay but I do believe that a receiver already has the easier time in the CFL and we shouldn't be making it even easier for receivers to catch the ball.  I'm sure many would prefer to see higher points and the aim of this is to increase the scoring count. 

I support 1/3 of the proposed changes then I guess.

• a kick for a single point, which now comes from the 12-yard line, would come instead from the 32-yard line. Gimmicky and unnecessary.

• two point converts would be scrimmaged from the three-yard line, instead of the current five-yard line. Reasonable
• during the pre-season, a convert worth three points when a team chooses to run or pass the ball over the goal line from the ten-yard-line. Outright stupid.
• defensive player would be allowed to contact a receiver within five yards of the line of scrimmage, but would not allow either a defender or a receiver to create or initiate contact that impedes or redirects an opponent beyond five yards. Thought they wanted less flags.  What exactly can a defender do to defend a pass?  Why have defenders at all?
• on a punt play, when the ball bounces on the ground and a five yard no yards penalty is called, the penalty will automatically be added to the end of the return, or from the point the ball was first touched by the return team, whichever is better. Currently, the receiving team has to choose between the five-yard penalty or the yards gained on the return. Reasonable.  Better yet, make every no yards flag a 15 yard penalty.  That will substantially cut the number of flags.
• any time in the game the offence be allowed to signal to the referee that it doesn't want to substitute and it wants to use a tempo offence. The officials would then blow the play in immediately upon the ball and yardsticks being set for play. Reasonable, but needs to be well-defined in terms of what a "signal" is and how this rule will be applied.
• on punts, prohibiting the five interior linemen on the kicking team from leaving the line of scrimmage until the ball is kicked. Trying too hard, going to cause more flags.  Simple fix is making all no yards 15 yard penalties. 
• remove the ability of a coach to request a measurement, leaving it to the referee to measure when he is unsure if a first down has been made or not. Blatantly stupid.  Would rather have more measurements, not less.  Take the influence of the officials and the potential for bad calls that change outcomes out of the game, don't add to it. 
• offensive pass interference subject to video review.  If defensive pass interference is, offensive pass interference should be too.  Personally, I don't think the PI reviews added anything positive.
• no longer giving the receiving team the option of demanding that a team kick again after one of its kick offs goes out of bounds. The receiving team will either take the ball where it went out of bounds, or at a point 30 yards in advance of where the ball was kicked off, whichever is better.  Minor tweak, not sure this is really a problem.

My take:

• a kick for a single point, which now comes from the 12-yard line, would come instead from the 32-yard line.  No need to change the current PAT rules.  They're fine.

• two point converts would be scrimmaged from the three-yard line, instead of the current five-yard line. Silly idea
• during the pre-season, a convert worth three points when a team chooses to run or pass the ball over the goal line from the ten-yard-line. Outright stupid.
• defensive player would be allowed to contact a receiver within five yards of the line of scrimmage, but would not allow either a defender or a receiver to create or initiate contact that impedes or redirects an opponent beyond five yards. Really stupid and not well thought out.
• on a punt play, when the ball bounces on the ground and a five yard no yards penalty is called, the penalty will automatically be added to the end of the return, or from the point the ball was first touched by the return team, whichever is better. Currently, the receiving team has to choose between the five-yard penalty or the yards gained on the return. The only change that I like.
• any time in the game the offence be allowed to signal to the referee that it doesn't want to substitute and it wants to use a tempo offence. The officials would then blow the play in immediately upon the ball and yardsticks being set for play. Signal needs to be immediate and easily seen by both teams coaches. Will likely lead to complaints from the defensive coaches.
• on punts, prohibiting the five interior linemen on the kicking team from leaving the line of scrimmage until the ball is kicked. Change for change sake IMHO.  Will create more penalties, not less. 
• remove the ability of a coach to request a measurement, leaving it to the referee to measure when he is unsure if a first down has been made or not. Blatantly stupid.  Coaches should be able to continue to ask for measurements. 
• offensive pass interference subject to video review.  If defensive pass interference is, offensive pass interference should be too.  Personally, I was hoping that PI reviews would be removed this year.  They add nothing to the game, they slow things down, and they can't get them right even with the reviews.
• no longer giving the receiving team the option of demanding that a team kick again after one of its kick offs goes out of bounds. The receiving team will either take the ball where it went out of bounds, or at a point 30 yards in advance of where the ball was kicked off, whichever is better.  This isn't a problem as is.

The convert changes are dumb. Just make the single point automatic unless they go for two.

The 3-point thing is stupid beyond belief.

Does caling it names justify your comment

1) convert becomes exciting

2) 2 & 3 point converts means better chance to win a fairly close game .... less run out the clock stuff

3) emphasis on fan fun instead of tradition for tradition

The extra point rule is terrible. If they want change, just get rid of it completely. Make a td worth 7 points. Nobody ever misses it anyways and it would trim time off of the games.

This entire set of changes reeks of trying too hard.

No it just adds an exciting play at a scoring time .... reeks of condemnation hating real progress for greater fan pleasure ... more scoring ... more difference making plays

My take:

• a kick for a single point, which now comes from the 12-yard line, would come instead from the 32-yard line.  No need to change the current PAT rules.  They're fine.

• two point converts would be scrimmaged from the three-yard line, instead of the current five-yard line. Silly idea

• defensive player would be allowed to contact a receiver within five yards of the line of scrimmage, but would not allow either a defender or a receiver to create or initiate contact that impedes or redirects an opponent beyond five yards. Really stupid and not well thought out.

• on a punt play, when the ball bounces on the ground and a five yard no yards penalty is called, the penalty will automatically be added to the end of the return, or from the point the ball was first touched by the return team, whichever is better. Currently, the receiving team has to choose between the five-yard penalty or the yards gained on the return. The only change that I like.

• any time in the game the offence be allowed to signal to the referee that it doesn't want to substitute and it wants to use a tempo offence. The officials would then blow the play in immediately upon the ball and yardsticks being set for play. Signal needs to be immediate and easily seen by both teams coaches. Will likely lead to complaints from the defensive coaches.

• on punts, prohibiting the five interior linemen on the kicking team from leaving the line of scrimmage until the ball is kicked. Change for change sake IMHO.  Will create more penalties, not less. 

• remove the ability of a coach to request a measurement, leaving it to the referee to measure when he is unsure if a first down has been made or not. Blatantly stupid.  Coaches should be able to continue to ask for measurements. 

• offensive pass interference subject to video review.  If defensive pass interference is, offensive pass interference should be too.  Personally, I was hoping that PI reviews would be removed this year.  They add nothing to the game, they slow things down, and they can't get them right even with the reviews.

• no longer giving the receiving team the option of demanding that a team kick again after one of its kick offs goes out of bounds. The receiving team will either take the ball where it went out of bounds, or at a point 30 yards in advance of where the ball was kicked off, whichever is better.  This isn't a problem as is.

Amazing the number of times the word STUPID is used ... total unreasoned emotion .... no logic ... no examination ... no justification ... "fraidy-cat of change" thinking .... the convert changes add real excitement and an outcome  difference maker .... adding more pass completion to 2 down football means more drives and scoring ... who wants two bucks and a kick type offence, yawn? .... kick returns even off converts for more big plays .... less driving through the 5 yard zone .... I love CFL over NFL because of the higher levels of excitement

To those who cry STUPID I can only say KILLJOY in its most literal sense

My take:

Amazing the number of times the word STUPID is used ... total unreasoned emotion .... no logic ... no examination ... no justification ... "fraidy-cat of change" thinking .... the convert changes add real excitement and an outcome  difference maker .... adding more pass completion to 2 down football means more drives and scoring ... who wants two bucks and a kick type offence, yawn? .... kick returns even off converts for more big plays .... less driving through the 5 yard zone .... I love CFL over NFL because of the higher levels of excitement

Stupid is the right word in this case.  I'm not afraid of change.  I just don't like change for change sake and that's what most of these rule changes are about.  

No form of football that I've ever seen have any of the PAT rules for good reason.  They don't make any sense.  The current rules allow for 1 and 2 point conversions.  If you can't score from the 5, then you should go for 1 point.  Most of the PAT's will still go through the uprights from the 32.  Those that don't will almost certainly go through the end zone without any chance for a run back.  The extra chance to score would be from a block or partial block, which is an extremely low chance or a huge wind in which case, you'd take it on the 3 and try for 2 which won't result in a run back anyway.

The 'Down lineman can't leave until the punt happens' rule will create more flags which is bad by definition.  It will reduce the number of down field players by 5 big guys, which will mean that the the Special Teams coaches will have to change the way they cover punts.  I expect it will produce additional big run backs in the short term, but I think it will be short lived as the coaches figure it out.

The PI changes will create more flags and is closer to 'flag' football rules than 'real' football rules.   A rule change that's black and white would be a step forward, but this one isn't that.  The refs still have to figure out who initiated the contact and if it affected the play before they throw the flag.  More flags with more interpretation by the Refs, who've already proved over and over that they cant handle interpretation is a bad thing for the CFL.  

Offensive PI being subject to video review is the right thing to do if you have to have video reviews of calls/non calls, but the CFL refs have proven time and time again that they can't get video replays right so the better route is to just get rid of coach initiated video review completely.

BigBlue... You seem to be the only one who likes these changes. 

I love football and watching it on TV. I'm not sure what football is anymore tho. Why keep changing the rules every year? Dumb and stupid to do it. Leave it as is. Agree with making all no yards 15 yards but leave the rest alone. It's becoming to confusing to keep up with all the dumb changes every year

My take:

Stupid is the right word in this case.  I'm not afraid of change.  I just don't like change for change sake and that's what most of these rule changes are about.  

No form of football that I've ever seen have any of the PAT rules for good reason.  They don't make any sense.  The current rules allow for 1 and 2 point conversions.  If you can't score from the 5, then you should go for 1 point.  Most of the PAT's will still go through the uprights from the 32.  Those that don't will almost certainly go through the end zone without any chance for a run back.  The extra chance to score would be from a block or partial block, which is an extremely low chance or a huge wind in which case, you'd take it on the 3 and try for 2 which won't result in a run back anyway.

The 'Down lineman can't leave until the punt happens' rule will create more flags which is bad by definition.  It will reduce the number of down field players by 5 big guys, which will mean that the the Special Teams coaches will have to change the way they cover punts.  I expect it will produce additional big run backs in the short term, but I think it will be short lived as the coaches figure it out.

The PI changes will create more flags and is closer to 'flag' football rules than 'real' football rules.   A rule change that's black and white would be a step forward, but this one isn't that.  The refs still have to figure out who initiated the contact and if it affected the play before they throw the flag.  More flags with more interpretation by the Refs, who've already proved over and over that they cant handle interpretation is a bad thing for the CFL.  

Offensive PI being subject to video review is the right thing to do if you have to have video reviews of calls/non calls, but the CFL refs have proven time and time again that they can't get video replays right so the better route is to just get rid of coach initiated video review completely.

Exactly. You cannot call them 'fun changes for the benefit of fan experience" when all of the fans think the changes are ridiculous.

I'm not afraid of making changes to the way converts are attempted, as long as they make sense. Right now, the converts are virtually automatic, so to try them from further away, seems to make sense.

The no-yards calls for 5 yards - and adding yardage made, is much better than the way it is now.

Interference calls, on either offence or defence, are very hard calls on the officials, but they should just work on the rules they have now, instead of adding restrictions.

Not a fan of video review in any form, so....

IMO, these proposed changes will be worked out, and our game will remain pretty well the way it is...the best version of football period.

My take:

Exactly. You cannot call them 'fun changes for the benefit of fan experience" when all of the fans think the changes are ridiculous.

How can you possibly know what "ALL THE FANS THINK" ? The posters on this site are a very poor representation of all the fans that attend games or watch on TV!

I believe the average fan would love the rule that you can tie the game with a 3 point convert late in the 4th quarter ....

they will love these rules when their team is down by 15 early in the 4th quarter

they will love the rules that mean more pass receptions

they will love the rules that bring about more long punt returns

increasing scoring is NOT change for change sake

What is bad is sticking to the traditions that do nothing to increase excitement .... thats as boring as the baseball fans that are totally fixated on statistics so they can compare the present to the past .... yuck!

Looks like Aardvark's taken over BigBlue's account for the last couple of days.  :D

Face it BB, most folks around here don't like the rule changes and we are the rabid fans.  I think you'll find the same thing on most of the fan forums around the league because they are also rabid fans.

Looks like Aardvark's taken over BigBlue's account for the last couple of days. :D

Face it BB, most folks around here don't like the rule changes and we are the rabid fans. I think you'll find the same thing on most of the fan forums around the league because they are also rabid fans.

Dunno about ardvaarks take on these changes but he tends to convey his position with less condescension. Also, kind of a cheapshot behind the guys back... Stay classy British Columbia

Looks like Aardvark's taken over BigBlue's account for the last couple of days. :D

Face it BB, most folks around here don't like the rule changes and we are the rabid fans. I think you'll find the same thing on most of the fan forums around the league because they are also rabid fans.

Dunno about ardvaarks take on these changes but he tends to convey his position with less condescension. Also, kind of a cheapshot behind the guys back... Stay classy British Columbia

I wasn't trying to put words in Aards mouth.  I was making fun of his standard procedure of replying to everyone who disagrees with him with the same silly statements no matter how many folks disagree with him.

BTW: Moved to Calgary a couple of weeks ago.  It's stay classy Alberta now.  ;)