New linebackers?

gbill2004

It's looking like this years LB crew will be significantly different from last years. Gone are Kuale, Wild, Sears and Dunn. The only sure thing right now it seems is Sam Hurl. Don Unamba might be a LB option too.

My question is if Walters plans on relying on the recruitment department to bring in LBs from down south, how difficult is it for a LB to transition from American football (NCAA and NFL) to the CFL game? Are there any examples of a new to CFL MLB stepping right in in his first year and starting and having success?

The Bombers most glaring need is at MLB, although some might argue Sam Hurl will start there, I'm a little skeptical of that. The MLB is a QB of the defense so needs to have a good understanding of the offense to call the defensive formations/plays. Could a new American MLB step in right away and fill that role and have success?

Linebacker, especially middle linebacker, seems to be one of the easier spots to recruit for and have the new guy step in right away. Lots of examples of American linebackers who came in and had success right away. Barrin Simpson is one, off the top of my head. JC Sherritt would be another.

Lots of examples of American linebackers who came in and had success right away. Barrin Simpson is one, off the top of my head. JC Sherritt would be another.

Elimimian, Wild, McCoil, Reed...

Even Marcellus Bowman came in and started all year and played pretty well.  Lots of examples.

Rider fans are quite critical of Sam Hurl so I watched some game tape of some of his starts from last season, focusing on him, and he really impressed me. Strong physical guy, seems smart and was good in coverage. After watching the video, and seeing he's only 24 years old, I think he's got a legit chance at starting.

kbf did you go to the niverville pop festival mud fest?

…… The Bombers sure had great linebackers for a few years, I guess the Cal years.

Do the Bombers have someone at the NFL combine?

Not sure which one you are referring to - if it's the one from the early 70's then no, I was still a zygote at that point.

Rider fans are quite critical of Sam Hurl so I watched some game tape of some of his starts from last season, focusing on him, and he really impressed me. Strong physical guy, seems smart and was good in coverage. After watching the video, and seeing he's only 24 years old, I think he's got a legit chance at starting.

throw him in, coach!

I've been wanting to do that for a while... but haven't had the time, so thanks for that

Brian Peters is still out there and I would love to see the Bombers pick him up after he is done exploring the NFL. He was a great special teamer two years ago in SASK and a terrific LB there last year. Great run stopper at 6'4 220# as well.

Heard he's in negotiations with New Orleans.

Apparently that was misinformation.

Brian Peters is still out there and I would love to see the Bombers pick him up after he is done exploring the NFL. He was a great special teamer two years ago in SASK and a terrific LB there last year. Great run stopper at 6'4 220# as well.

Very interesting. Seems lots of misinformation on the remaining free agent LBs. Do they both have the same agent? lol

Very interesting. Seems lots of misinformation on the remaining free agent LBs. Do they both have the same agent? lol

I read that Peters doesn't even have a CFL agent. Lol

Even if Hurl starts at MLB, its a huge upgrade over Kuale. 

Even though Desia Dunn never stood out to me, he was solid, so I'm a little surprpised he isn't being brought back, at least to training camp.

I thought Terrell Parker was better than Desia Dunn in 2013 but Parker, after rehabbing from his injury, wasn't invited to 2014 camp.

Shamari Benton seems to be the only International LB with that same body type on the roster right now.

Guessing there will be a couple more FA signings for that competition before June.