Riders Hire Greg Quick as Their DC

Rich

There is no question that CC will be calling the shots and overseeing the defence. He is a control freak. However that doesn't mean he isn't a good coach. As he gets more comfortable with Quick I'm sure he will back off and let Quick run the D. For all of you who like to make fun of Chamblin maybe your head coach should have been getting more involved with your defence last year when it clearly wasn't working. I don't always support Chamblin but Hall's defence clearly wasn't working so at least he had enough balls to step in and take control.  The riders haven't slipped any where as much as many of you would like to believe and Quick is a good hire for us.  IMHO of course.

There is no question that CC will be calling the shots and overseeing the defence. He is a control freak. However that doesn't mean he isn't a good coach. As he gets more comfortable with Quick I'm sure he will back off and let Quick run the D. For all of you who like to make fun of Chamblin maybe your head coach should have been getting more involved with your defence last year when it clearly wasn't working. I don't always support Chamblin but Hall's defence clearly wasn't working so at least he had enough balls to step in and take control.  The riders haven't slipped any where as much as many of you would like to believe and Quick is a good hire for us.  IMHO of course.

Words and phrases that should make you nervous:

However - always a qualifying word and apropos in this case…because it is defensive.

I'm sure he will back off - no, you're not sure.

Hall's defence clearly wasn't working - Clearly, it wasn't the defence that was the problem.

he had enough balls to step in and take control - we all know how this particular phrase can lead to more trouble, not less.

The riders haven't slipped any where as much as many of you would like to believe - the more that leaks out about the Riders, their signings, their non-signings, and whats lays ahead for this team, the better I like the chance of the Bombers finishing ahead of them.

However - always a qualifying word and apropos in this case…because it is defensive.

Hall's defence clearly wasn't working - Clearly, it wasn't the defence that was the problem.

he had enough balls to step in and take control - we all know how this particular phrase can lead to more trouble, not less.

The riders haven't slipped any where as much as many of you would like to believe - the more that leaks out about the Riders, their signings, their non-signings, and whats lays ahead for this team, the better I like the chance of the Bombers finishing ahead of them.

So you believe O'Shea wears no stink for Etch's defence? MOS was a linebacker himself, how is it that he had no input when it was your biggest glaring weakness? What moves have the Riders made that lead you to believe the Bombers will finish ahead of them?  I understand you want to believe in your team, we all do that, but there is nothing more than speculation on your end. There are no facts to suggest it will happen.

So you believe O'Shea wears no stink for Etch's defence? MOS was a linebacker himself, how is it that he had no input when it was your biggest glaring weakness? What moves have the Riders made that lead you to believe the Bombers will finish ahead of them?  I understand you want to believe in your team, we all do that, but there is nothing more than speculation on your end. There are no facts to suggest it will happen.

Agreed that O'Shea had to be aware that Etch's weird defensive strategy was flawed, but he was a rookie head coach still learning, and micro-managing the coached under him would have caused all sort of problems, maybe worse than we already had. Etch had to stand or fall on his own performance rather than being spoon-fed.

Control freaks in management can do a lot in a short period of time, provided their underlings follow slavishly, but they do crash and burn to the delight of most, as it takes a tremendous amount of energy to function in that mode. It is not sustainable.

Agreed that O'Shea had to be aware that Etch's weird defensive strategy was flawed, but he was a rookie head coach still learning, and micro-managing the coached under him would have caused all sort of problems, maybe worse than we already had. Etch had to stand or fall on his own performance rather than being spoon-fed.

Control freaks in management can do a lot in a short period of time, provided their underlings follow slavishly, but they do crash and burn to the delight of most, as it takes a tremendous amount of energy to function in that mode. It is not sustainable.

good post. Chamblin is either going to do very well this year or be fired next off season. I believe he is a good coach and is passionate about winning. I think we have a good team so I believe he will do well. I don't however see him coaching the Riders long term. He is very demanding and as we all know, people like that are very hard to work for.

Well, I wouldn't quite phrase it the way you did, but the HC always bears responsibility for his staff and O'Shea probably did explore some avenues with Etcheverry.

This I don't know.

The Bombers defensive problems notwithstanding, it was still the inability of the Offence to be effective that limited our win total last year.

But we're not talking about the rookie HC of the Bombers, we're talking about an experienced HC and his decisions, even now, going forward.

And the mammoth task that the Riders have in retaining their long list of FAs and keeping a quality O-Line, and spending within reason in a season where they will have to keep a lot of players happy $$$.

And you better hope Mr. Durant isn't antsy about his recent injury, or is healthy to begin with, as your backups are…still backups.

As to facts supporting my supposition, I disagree. We have signed or extended a large number of players, and with that, have positioned ourselves well to snag a name, or two, in free agency…big names.

Lots of work ahead for both teams, but I like our chances of being overall, a better team, and I see your chances of being an not as strong a team.

It's that simple.

Well, I wouldn't quite phrase it the way you did, but the HC always bears responsibility for his staff and O'Shea probably did explore some avenues with Etcheverry.

This I don't know.

The Bombers defensive problems notwithstanding, it was still the inability of the Offence to be effective that limited our win total last year.

But we're not talking about the rookie HC of the Bombers, we're talking about an experienced HC and his decisions, even now, going forward.

And the mammoth task that the Riders have in retaining their long list of FAs and keeping a quality O-Line, and spending within reason in a season where they will have to keep a lot of players happy $$$.

And you better hope Mr. Durant isn't antsy about his recent injury, or is healthy to begin with, as your backups are…still backups.

As to facts supporting my supposition, I disagree. We have signed or extended a large number of players, and with that, have positioned ourselves well to snag a name, or two, in free agency…big names.

Lots of work ahead for both teams, but I like our chances of being overall, a better team, and I see your chances of being an not as strong a team.

It's that simple.

Fair enough, I'll agree to disagree. I do however think the Bombers are heading in the right direction.

Well I agree with Vanstone that this was all done in an odd and unnecessary manner.  Most likely Chamblin thought Benevides as DC was a slam dunk, and he painted himself into a corner because of it.  Quick may still be a good hire, but I have no idea why play-calling duties need to be withheld/transitioned/split/whatever the arrangement will evolve into.  Quick has CFL experience and it's freaking January.  This isn't like the Crowton hire.  Quick shouldn't need his hand held by Chamblin, and he has 5 months to figure out how he wants to handle his new job and what it entails.

So yeah, this is all a bit odd.  But odd doesn't automatically equate bad.

Chamblin throwing Hall under the truck and Rider fans clapping their flippers together in support is shamefull.

When Chamblin was hired it was going to be "his" defense . So when did Chamblin give up this control and if Chamblin did take over the playcalling please specify what games so they can be analyzed ? If Hall's coaching was so sub standard why did Chamblin wait so long to make a change ?

Chamblin has been a master at distributing blame on the backs of others whilst avoiding any stink himself  by looking ruthless in the shakeup in the staff. So now he has the power structure and an obedient staff he wants...(which may well have scared off Bene and Lapo) next time around he'll have nowhere to hide.

The way I see it...

Chamblin wants a different type of defense than Hall runs, so he ended up taking more and more control during the season.  Neither Hall nor Chamblin is going to change the way they think, so it's best for everyone if Hall isn't there anymore.  That doesn't make Hall a bad DC, just one who prefers a different style of defense from his HC.  Benevides runs defenses the way Chamblin likes, so he'd be a better fit, but he doesn't want the job.  That leaves a newcomer as DC to run Chamblin's defense and Regina picked Quick.  It remains to be seen if this is a good or bad choice.  We likely won't know for sure until late next season.

As for Hall in Winnipeg...  His defenses need serious pressure from the front 4/7 to be effective.  We don't have the players to make that happen so I expect to see changes in our front 7 right away.  We'll get a bend don't break, wait for the other team to make mistakes type of defense.  Not as exciting as an attack defense (My preference), but played well, it should be effective.  Certainly more effective than Etch's.

The way I see it...

Chamblin wants a different type of defense than Hall runs, so he ended up taking more and more control during the season.  Neither Hall nor Chamblin is going to change the way they think, so it's best for everyone if Hall isn't there anymore.  That doesn't make Hall a bad DC, just one who prefers a different style of defense from his HC.  Benevides runs defenses the way Chamblin likes, so he'd be a better fit, but he doesn't want the job.  That leaves a newcomer as DC to run Chamblin's defense and Regina picked Quick.  It remains to be seen if this is a good or bad choice.  We likely won't know for sure until late next season.

As for Hall in Winnipeg...  His defenses need serious pressure from the front 4/7 to be effective.  We don't have the players to make that happen so I expect to see changes in our front 7 right away.  We'll get a bend don't break, wait for the other team to make mistakes type of defense.  Not as exciting as an attack defense (My preference), but played well, it should be effective.  Certainly more effective than Etch's.

Excellent post. Simply put, you can't sit back and wait for the other team to make mistakes unless you have a big pass rush coming. The riders front 4 are as good or better than nearly every team. The defence can work but the bombers don't have the people in place now to run it. Without the pass rush its simply death by a thousand paper cuts.

Name me a defense that works without being able to get pressure on the qb. The simple fact is that in the CFL every single D out there relies on pressuring the qb. There's too much room on this field to be successful without that pressure. Walters biggest priority this offseason in my mind is getting some DL upgrades in here. 

...and hopefully having Zach Anderson healthy. Saw him mentioning on Twitter the other day that he's basically 100% and has been running like a bastard to get into cardio shape for the season. A healthy ZA helps a lot in 2015...

...and hopefully having Zach Anderson healthy. Saw him mentioning on Twitter the other day that he's basically 100% and has been running like a bastard to get into cardio shape for the season. A healthy ZA helps a lot in 2015...

Anderson said he *should* be ready for the first game of the season. My bet is he misses some regular season games this year.

Anderson said he *should* be ready for the first game of the season. My bet is he misses some regular season games this year.

wow, dont go out on any ledges with that prediction lol.  pretty sure odds are good you could throw darts at the roster and that player would miss time sometime this season. 

wow, dont go out on any ledges with that prediction lol. pretty sure odds are good you could throw darts at the roster and that player would miss time sometime this season.
I meant he misses games to start the season because of not being fully recovered from his ACL injury.

wow, dont go out on any ledges with that prediction lol. pretty sure odds are good you could throw darts at the roster and that player would miss time sometime this season.
I meant he misses games to start the season because of not being fully recovered from his ACL injury.

I think you are forgetting that football players heal much faster than regular people. I think it has something to do with their diet and exercise and stuff.

I think you are forgetting that football players heal much faster than regular people. I think it has something to do with their diet and exercise and stuff.
An ACL is typically at least a one year injury to recover from, even for pro athletes. Adrian Peterson a couple years ago was the exception, not the norm.

I think you are forgetting that football players heal much faster than regular people. I think it has something to do with their diet and exercise ...

and stuff.

*cough* growth hormone *cough* 

I think you are forgetting that football players heal much faster than regular people. I think it has something to do with their diet and exercise ...

and stuff.

Thanks for editing it to give the proper emphasis.  I have much to learn. I know that ACL is not an injury that can be rushed. Just jokes. It is amazing how much trouble turf toe is - I am hoping more from Vega this year too. 

and stuff.

Thanks for editing it to give the proper emphasis.  I have much to learn. I know that ACL is not an injury that can be rushed. Just jokes. It is amazing how much trouble turf toe is - I am hoping more from Vega this year too. 

To be fair, I would lay huge odds that Adrian Peterson is 100% natural. Just a genetic freak among freaks. 

Its the guys who are more on the *cusp* that tend to look for shortcuts. 

That and old guys. 

I think you are forgetting that football players heal much faster than regular people. I think it has something to do with their diet and exercise ...

and stuff.

Thanks for editing it to give the proper emphasis. I have much to learn. I know that ACL is not an injury that can be rushed. Just jokes. It is amazing how much trouble turf toe is - I am hoping more from Vega this year too.

To be fair, I would lay huge odds that Adrian Peterson is 100% natural. Just a genetic freak among freaks.

Its the guys who are more on the *cusp* that tend to look for shortcuts.

That and old guys.

And I'm 99.99% sure Adrian Peterson was on HGH when he was recovering from his ACL. Likely a full-time HGH user too.