Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

Kito just didn't get a fair shake our old coach help him down and he's vastly under rated!

whenever I think of Kito I think of the game I went to in Winnipeg in 2013 against Hamilton. Max Hall laid a beautiful ball into his arms, and he was open in the end zone by 20 yards.  He just flat out dropped the ball.  Sorry but there's just no room in the line up for guys who can't catch.

Kito just didn't get a fair shake our old coach help him down and he's vastly under rated!

whenever I think of Kito I think of the game I went to in Winnipeg in 2013 against Hamilton. Max Hall laid a beautiful ball into his arms, and he was open in the end zone by 20 yards.  He just flat out dropped the ball.  Sorry but there's just no room in the line up for guys who can't catch.

I doubt there is a receiver in the league who hasn't dropped an easy one.

Jacquie...he drops more than one...that's the point

And people tend to remember the drops and not the catches. When he was healthy in 2012 his numbers were about what you would expect for his position. His main problem has been injuries.

whenever I think of Kito I think of the game I went to in Winnipeg in 2013 against Hamilton. Max Hall laid a beautiful ball into his arms, and he was open in the end zone by 20 yards. He just flat out dropped the ball. Sorry but there's just no room in the line up for guys who can't catch.

And people tend to remember the drops and not the catches. When he was healthy in 2012 his numbers were about what you would expect for his position. His main problem has been injuries.
And confidence. I believe there was talk of him needing or seeing a sports psychologist while he was with the Bombers.

Of course we remember the drops...a receiver is supposed to catch the ball not drop it...so you're really saying he was average in 2012...you must really like him for some reason.

I've watched lots of football over the year, CFL, some NFL, even some NCAA and CIS for that matter... the one common theme i see with receivers in every form of american/canadian football? They all drop easy catches at times, even Calvin Johnson. 

I've watched lots of football over the year, CFL, some NFL, even some NCAA and CIS for that matter... the one common theme i see with receivers in every form of american/canadian football? They all drop easy catches at times, even Calvin Johnson.

I don't think I ever saw Rick House or Joe Pop drop an easy one. I don't think I ever saw them drop a hard one either. Same goes for Milt, and Perry Tuttle.

I don't think I ever saw Rick House or Joe Pop drop an easy one. I don't think I ever saw them drop a hard one either. Same goes for Milt, and Perry Tuttle.

selective memory or sarcasm. I've seen milt drop easy ones.. yea ones.. plural. same goes for surehand stoddard.. it happens.

Absolutely, if there was one knock to Milt's game is that occasionally he would drop an easy one. ALL receivers do it. Kito's hands were no better but no worse than many good CFL receivers. People tend to want to pile on players after they leave. From what I remember of Kito is that he rarely hit the field because of injury, and at times appeared to take plays off. Those are bad enough knocks for a player to have, we don't need to pile on.

Of course we remember the drops...a receiver is supposed to catch the ball not drop it...so you're really saying he was average in 2012...you must really like him for some reason.

If teams released every player who had multiple drops in a season there wouldn't be anyone left to play. As for Poblah, in his only full season with the Bombers, he had 41 receptions for 417 yards (10.2 average) and 1 TD as the 5th receiver. 

KBF, I just watched the video of that play. Yes Poblah was wide open in the end zone for a while but by the time the ball got to him the defender was able to recover and hit him as he caught it. Not exactly as you remember it. 

KBF, I just watched the video of that play. Yes Poblah was wide open in the end zone for a while but by the time the ball got to him the defender was able to recover and hit him as he caught it. Not exactly as you remember it. 

You watched the video of that play?  Where?  Is it on Youtube?  I do remember now that Hall got the ball away a bit late, and it was a typical Max Hall rainbow, but I still remember thinking Kito should have had it.  As for me "piling on", good grief, I am just giving my opinion that I didn't think he could catch the ball, and yeah others drop the ball too, but Kito drops it more.  So therefore I don't think the Bombers should bring him back.  I really wish he had lit it up in BC, I really do. 

so...Jacquie...are you really saying you want him back...because he was so good the first time...and also in BC?

I would be fine if the Bombers signed him and I would be fine if they didn't.

KBF, yes it's on YouTube. Maybe he should have held on but we've seen lots of receivers drop ones like that. There was also a flag thrown just before Hall threw the ball - wouldn't be surprised if it was for holding given the timing so it might not have counted if he had held on.

http://youtu.be/843qIhFUSuE

Even one of last years whipping boys Romby Bryant was not as bad as some make him out to be.  In anticipation of the upcoming season I've been re-watching the 2014 games and up until game 9 there are at least 4 times that Willy significantly miscalculated Romby's speed and under-threw the ball nullifying large gains or potential TD's. On many of these throws Romby was in the clear but by the time the ball arrived a defender was there to knock it down.  If the two of them could have got their timing down early in the season I believe the mass tide against Bryant may not have swelled to the extent that it did.

Even one of last years whipping boys Romby Bryant was not as bad as some make him out to be.  In anticipation of the upcoming season I've been re-watching the 2014 games and up until game 9 there are at least 4 times that Willy significantly miscalculated Romby's speed and under-threw the ball nullifying large gains or potential TD's. On many of these throws Romby was in the clear but by the time the ball arrived a defender was there to knock it down.  If the two of them could have got their timing down early in the season I believe the mass tide against Bryant may not have swelled to the extent that it did.

Yep, Willy and Romby really struggled with establishing chemistry. 

Bryant literally had no ability to get himself open running any kind of route last season.  If Willy made a couple perfect throws he would have looked better, sure.

Poblah would be a decent addition with no expectations.  He's struggled to stay healthy and establish any consistency, but he has a lot of ability.

Poblah wasnt Ralph bad but he definitely wasn't anywhere near as good as Watson, Kohlert and even JFG to an extent.

Poblah is an athletic Hargreaves... So still mediocre.

If he was a hot commodity he would of been picked up instantly and wouldn't of been dumped by two teams..

Bryant literally had no ability to get himself open running any kind of route last season.  If Willy made a couple perfect throws he would have looked better, sure.

Poblah would be a decent addition with no expectations.  He's struggled to stay healthy and establish any consistency, but he has a lot of ability.

I disagree, Willy's accumulated injuries and poor pass protection may have played a significant role in his inability to connect long with Bryant but there is no denying that Romby was a burner and that was the role he was brought in to play.

Poblah wasnt Ralph bad but he definitely wasn't anywhere near as good as Watson, Kohlert and even JFG to an extent.

Poblah is an athletic Hargreaves... So still mediocre.

If he was a hot commodity he would of been picked up instantly and wouldn't of been dumped by two teams..

Hey! According to a certain poster I'm the only one who still brings up Brock Ralph...

I disagree, Willy's accumulated injuries and poor pass protection may have played a significant role in his inability to connect long with Bryant but there is no denying that Romby was a burner and that was the role he was brought in to play.

Geez and I thought it had been clearly established at various message boards that Romby had been running the wrong routes.