Kyle Walters to address the media at 11AM

holoman

Walters was just on TSN 1290. Much better interview than his presser earlier today. Based on that interview I get the sense Walters wants Etch gone.

care to give a recap of what makes you feel that way? I didn't catch it.
Well I recommend trying to listen to it. But from what I recall, he talked about how much the inability to stop the run hurt us this season. He provided stats on that too...seems like he's clearly done his homework/analysis. He suggested O'Shea knows the run D is a problem but that O'Shea protects the coaches during the season; that was part of his plan going into the season. Said figuring out the coaching staff is his and O'Shea's first priority now; to me that says there's uncertainty there.

Walters was just on TSN 1290. Much better interview than his presser earlier today. Based on that interview I get the sense Walters wants Etch gone.

Well I recommend trying to listen to it. But from what I recall, he talked about how much the inability to stop the run hurt us this season. He provided stats on that too...seems like he's clearly done his homework/analysis. He suggested O'Shea knows the run D is a problem but that O'Shea protects the coaches during the season; that was part of his plan going into the season. Said figuring out the coaching staff is his and O'Shea's first priority now; to me that says there's uncertainty there.

If this is what he said then the writing is on the wall big time....  

Yeah. much better interview. Coaching aside from MOS going to be further evaluated. Said MOS is here unequivocally. Also seemed to have Mike's back on the single message from one guy theory. Said he didn't care about  that stuff and it would be the coaches decision if coordinators talk to media or not.  Lawless piped up and said yeah but sometimes we want to know why certain calls are made by coaches, Walters said, "So do I". I lol'd.

but if they fire Etch and keep Bellefool I'll be irate. One is much more deserving of a firing than the other. 

but if they fire Etch and keep Bellefool I'll be irate. One is much more deserving of a firing than the other.

Bellefeuille and the offense didn't really come up during the 1290 interview.

they need a microphone.  anyone  asking a question goes to the mic.  heard some of this, the questions were inaudible. The answers were clear.

Pretty sure this problem could be solved for $100.00 investment in a second mic.

just cause they've done this this way for the last seventy five years, and do this in the NFL, doesn't mean it makes sense.

Does 1290 have an archive?  If so where?

Should be able to get it here

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/walters-bombers-have-to-balance-slow-build-with-winning-now-1.126376

Yeah but they better have better options to go to. I don't want another Casey Creehan here either.

I agree, the interview on 1290 is just the kind of interview you want to hear - pointed questions, and thorough answers.

Kyle Walters comes through as concerned and honest in what he feels needs to be done.

I, myself, did not get any indication which way Walters was leaning towards any of the assistant coaches, although I was satisfied that they will try to identify the problems…then go about correcting them.

I take that to mean if they feel either the OC or DC is the problem..then they will do something about it.

Conversely, if they are exonerated, then they will be back next year…and perhaps the personnel they need, will be provided.

Walters also touched on how just missing out on some signings for the O-Line down south forced their hands on the O-Line this year. They're finding it harder to locate, and sign, good tackles that the NFL aren't competing for.

Here is another link that works:

http://t.co/g0UmzLwdfM

Really solid interview. Anyone questioning the way MOS handles the media during the season really needs to listen to this interview. Didn't really get any impressions either way about ETCH or MB for that matter, Probably find out soon enough tho as Walters ended it by basically saying that Him and MOS will now sit down and discuss the coaching and what they feel is best moving forward. 

Good Interview. Much better. The one on the main site? Not so good, very vanilla, this one? more in depth, still vanilla but... some of Walters responses definitely makes you go hmm. 

Listening to Kyle Walters interview with H & L gives me a sense of comfort that the teams in good hands and the management team has the best interest of the fans and the organization in the forefront.    

His draft philosophy is solid and he made no excuses and took responsibility for the teams shortcomings.  

Improve the scouting

Draft Olineman 1st or 2nd round and later round developmental guy

Improve run defence, contributing factor to losses along with QB play

Improve rushing attack, prairie team must have strong rushing attack

O'Shea is safe, even keel, leader, players like playing for him

Roster turnover is a reality, 1 year contracts are the reality

National Oline free agents, have to go all in to acquire, could be $250K

Calgary has the winning system to model franchise after

Walters pretty much nails it.

All this is encouraging, and we can write this whole season off as a mulligan. I think fans will be ready to wash out the taste of this year, but I cannot see the same forgiveness extending into next year. It sounds like Walters and O'Shea are aware of all the snafus this year and are prepared to make the necessary changes, down to making at least one of the current assistant coaches walk the plank.

I think some of the fans here need to be educated a bit more to understand that it takes time to build a winner. It doesn't happen over a short period of time. Walters used Calgary as an example, said when was the last time they made a big free agent splash? Not jock sanders is not considered a huge free agent splash. 

We got a few seasons to go to probably be in a position a team like Calgary is, There is no quick fix, Only thing fans can really do is be patient cuz I feel that the fans impatience is part of the reason why we are what we are right now.

Fans are too emotional at times it seems, Don't really understand how bad we were last year and how depleted our Canadian Talent really is, It's gonna take time to build that depth.

Walters even said it today, said people may not want to hear it but drafting olineman is a long process. It takes time. There are no quick fixes. People can point to free agency but.. fact is, there are lots of factors that goes in to free agency too, You can offer the player all you want but if he wants to go somewhere else, it's really irrelevant what you offer him. Are the bombers in that spot after one season where free agents will want to sign here instead of going elsewhere for the same money? 

Calgary is the model? I'm sold but how much do we have to pay to get Hufnagel here?

You and I have disagreed on who wins the race to the bottom, Bellfool or Etch. 

Another thing to consider (something neither of us can weigh in on) is that perhaps Bellefool is easier to work with and less dogmatic. 

I kind of think that when you hire Etch, you hire The Gary Etchasketch Experience, and that there isn't much compromise going forward. 

Still, another poster nailed it -- while both guys should be gone, they better have decent potential replacements lined up. 

It would appear he and O'Shea are not on the same page regarding the cost of not stopping the run. While many here were saying stopping the running game was a real problem O'Shea and many others here argued that was not really a problem as in so what? Protecting the coaches? If the coaches need to be babied get a freaking shrink and let the coach to concentrate on winning games. What the heck is this? Walters knows there's a real problem with stopping the run but does not do anything because it might rattle his coach, the coach sooner loose games while protecting his coaches and so the fans are left sucking off the hind T, again.

At some point some will have to stop making excuses and just admit for this year O'Shea was just not ready but might have taken the opportunity to learn. We have to hope.