Kyle Walters to address the media at 11AM

holoman

I missed some of it cause someone was talking to me, but it was basically fluff as far as I'm concerned.  He wouldn't answer what the number 1 issue was or anything that would put someone in the spotlight, probably so that someone like a coach or a player isn't aware he's about to be let go from a presser.  He pretty much glazed over any questions like that.  Said Mike was a good coach and that Willy and Lirim were the best players they saw from this season.

Who asked him if O'Shea's job was safe? Idiot.

I have a pretty good guess.

Tomorrows Paul Friesen article "Walters says O'Shea won't be fired but is he telling the truth? This intrepid reporter thinks O'Shea should be fired or at very least openly questions by fans, media and management every day until he is fired because that's what I want to write about damn it!"

Is this a standard end of season presser or an announcement?

Standard. So far talking but not saying much... Pretty vanilla. 

And pretty weak vanilla at that, just another tick on the "to do" list.  We probably won't hear from Kyle for another 3 months.

Standard. So far talking but not saying much... Pretty vanilla. 

And pretty weak vanilla at that, just another tick on the "to do" list.  We probably won't hear from Kyle for another 3 months.

Nonsense.  They usually get some kind of insight as to which QBs we should watch in the bowl games in December.  That should tide us over.

But seriously, other than re-signing free agents there isn't much of interest that ever happens in the CFL in December and January.

I'm hoping it will be about the firing of Etch and MarcelB

Btw, I saw Etch eating Subway at Polo Park last night. I guess the other guy with him is the LB coach.

Did he eat his sub straight on? On did he attack it up the middle with several bites?

Multiple bites on the left side, but the toppings squirted out to the right untouched.

I'm hoping it will be about the firing of Etch and MarcelB

Btw, I saw Etch eating Subway at Polo Park last night. I guess the other guy with him is the LB coach.

Did he eat his sub straight on? On did he attack it up the middle with several bites?

Multiple bites on the left side, but the toppings squirted out to the right untouched.

Multiple bites starting at the bottom and by the time he get on the top. The toppings and fillings already touched down on his face.

Yup Wicek was the guy who asked all of the pretty dumb questions.

Asked if O'sheas job is safe, Dumb. Asked if they were happy taking Goossen, Seriously what a couple of really dumb questions. And then asking him to grade himself.. Our media are a bunch of fools for the most part. Wicek though, my god. What a couple of dumb dumb questions. 

Asking about O'Shea and Goossen seem like pretty reasonable questions to me.  Even asking Walters to grade himself.  I was curious on his answer for that one.

We had a 7 - 11 season and missed the playoffs.   I would have been very surprised if O'Shea was fired, but that doesn't make it a dumb question.   It just validates the assumption.

And why not ask the GM to assess the first first round draft pick he has drafted.

Yup Wicek was the guy who asked all of the pretty dumb questions.

Asked if O'sheas job is safe, Dumb. Asked if they were happy taking Goossen, Seriously what a couple of really dumb questions. And then asking him to grade himself.. Our media are a bunch of fools for the most part. Wicek though, my god. What a couple of dumb dumb questions. 

I wouldn't have asked if O'shea's job was safe, but as douchey as Weicek can be, those questions seem to be fair.  I, as a fan, would love to know how Walters thought he, the coach he hired, the first round draft pick and his key free agents did. 

I get where Wiecek was going, but I feel there were better ways he could get the answers he was looking for. Those were intentionally douchey questions, and a guy like Irving or Tait would get similar answers with better questions...

Like instead of "Is OShea's job safe?", which is dumb because the answer is predictably obvious (you're either getting yes, or the modern day PC version of yes - everyone's performance will be under evaluation), ask for his assessment of his coach's performance in his rookie season, things he did particularly well and areas he needs to build on.  Something open-ended that doesn't have an easy scripted answer, and might lead to more interesting questions.  Was the progression of Goossen what you expected and does he appear ready to be a full time starter next year?  And if so, would you be tempted to leave him at guard or move him to the position he was drafted as?  Is there an advantage to waiting one more season before moving him so he doesn't have to handle the blocking calls in what might be his first full year as a starter?

You might still get cliches and non-committal answers to these, but even those non-answers will provide more information in how they're phrased and delivered than the closed-ended questions Weicek asks.

This isn't Weicek hates the Bombers, this is Weicek just isn't particularly good at his job.

Maybe dumb isn't the right word, maybe just the way he worded those questions came across as being a little douchey and honestly, what type of answers do you expect when you ask your questions like that. As MBRG explained, plenty of other ways to ask those questions without sounding so douchey about it.