Which Coaches Do You Want Back?

BigBlue

Well, there is a correlation between teams figuring out how to attack Etch's schemes and our defensive line being felled by injuries and the continued, mysterious use of an almost useless MLB, not playing Johnny Sears, Unumba, etc. etc.

Hello.

Except teams have always figured out Etch's scheme after 6-8 games. His teams always generate a lower amount of sacks. etc

I'm going to play silly bugger here because everyone wants to always bring up this "we would have won X amount more games with a conventional defense" argument.

How many games in our big start do we lose if Etch's defense isn't locking things down and creating havoc out there prior to teams getting more film on our D?

A more conventional D probably wins a few games for us this year, but let's be honest - it probably loses us a few too. Our wacky defense confused the hell out of Lefevour, shut down Glenn and forced a bunch of turnovers and scored 14 points in Montreal. Does a conventional D automatically do the same?

There is no absolute way to determine how many wins a different defensive strategy would have won for us, but for me the most telling thing is how the other teams in the CFL solved Etch's defense after a few games. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I would bet that the points allowed in the second half of the season, yards and passes allowed would all be way higher as well. If memory serves, this is a repeating theme with Etch's defenses and his approach only worked well when he had an all-star defence.

Which came first? The egg-laying defence who couldn't stop the amount of eggs laid, or the chicken-offence who couldn't gain yards to cross the road?

One would assume that if there was no production on O, that the numbers against the D would go up.

Or if more turnovers were given by our own team than the defence could procure, again the yardage thing.

I'll be glad, next year, when we're talking about our impending game instead of this farm stuff.

After allowing my emotions to cool after the end of the season I can live with Etch returning for another season, provided he adjusts his scheme to do a better job against the run and certain personnel are upgraded (Kuale, Peach to name a couple, maybe a couple of our NFL guys come up north?).  I also accept that losing a guy like Anderson was a huge blow to our Dline along with Vega's injury issues which left him somewhat ineffective this year.  It annoys me that it took so long to get Sears back in the lineup and to see what Unamba could bring to the D (although in all fairness earlier in the season I was complaining about his play, oops :lol:).  I certainly liked our improved secondary and how the D in general handled the passing game, so there's a plus.  I can give one more year but if it's more of the same next season I would hope for a change.

As for the offense I think MB should go back home to Ottawa and run their offense.  He should be the coordinator that gets the pink slip.  I don't like what he's doing with Willy and playing Grigsby for as long as we did was a huge error.  And there were too many times our offense did nothing leaving our D to hold on as best they could.  If your Oline isn't very good, as a coordinator you should plan around that (move the pocket, roll out your qb, whatever works) not stick to a plan that gets your qb killed.  By the end we all saw how damaged Willy was, physically and mentally.  No excuse for that.  

If a coordinator has to go let it be MB.  My two cents. 

I just don't have faith in the style of Etch's defense to stand strong against a competent team when it counts........ heck when Do or Die continually posts his O & S making note of the poor D gameplan ... I take that with some serious weight.

Just because Bellefeuille is a really crappy Coordinator it doesn't mean we have to only fire 1 guy in the off season....

This kind of mentality reminds me of during the off season when people think Walters can *only* go for 1 position and can only sign 1 free agent and this team can only make 1 move per year....

*If* their is a candidate that is strong and willing to come here then kick Etch to the curb....  come play off time I don't want to see play off games where the opposition just runs it down our throat eating up the clock and tiring out our guys without a hope in hell in stopping them.   

From where I sat any increases in the susceptibility of our pass defence had more to do with a decrease in our ability to generate QB pressure than our secondary being asked to tackle a RB.

And now someone will insist that should be on Etch...

Whereas I ask why did the pressure decrease?  From what I could tell, most of the problem came from a reduction in pressure from our end positions.

But why?  Is there really a defence in the world that needs to disguise the intentions of the rush ends?  The ends are going after the QB on every play with a mindful eye on keeping containment.  That is 99% of their job.  In the latter half we saw decreased production from Vega and Peach, and their replacements.

At some point the players have to make plays.  Injuries?  No idea how big a role that played, but we were not getting plays made from our end position at the rate needed to make the overall design of the defence effective.  And that is on the players.

hy should it be on Etch? because he doesn't play the right guys in the right spots.

As much as I hate Etch's Defensive schemes, If we were only to let one Coordinator go this year it has to be MB.  That guy was obviously way worse. He may have already shattered Willy's confidence.... another year of that and Willy may no longer be our QB of the future.

Before you jump on me about that statement.... Think Khari Jones

I just don't have faith in the style of Etch's defense to stand strong against a competent team when it counts........ heck when Do or Die continually posts his O & S making note of the poor D gameplan ... I take that with some serious weight.

Just because Bellefeuille is a really crappy Coordinator it doesn't mean we have to only fire 1 guy in the off season....

This kind of mentality reminds me of during the off season when people think Walters can *only* go for 1 position and can only sign 1 free agent and this team can only make 1 move per year....

*If* their is a candidate that is strong and willing to come here then kick Etch to the curb....  come play off time I don't want to see play off games where the opposition just runs it down our throat eating up the clock and tiring out our guys without a hope in hell in stopping them.   

I wouldn't shed any tears if both Etch and MB were shown the door.  I just have the feeling (nothing to back it up) that if there is a change in the coaching staff, it's only going to be one of the coordinators.  And if I had to choose I would keep Etch over MB because I think the run D could be improved with better personnel and a firmer hand from O'Shea.  I have no hope the offense will improve under MB, and I don't think Willy survives another season of it.  I also think there are a few good options out there for replacing MB who might actually come here.  I don't know offhand who would be available as a D Coordinator that would be a better option than Etch right now.  

I'd rather see uss give a new guy a chance, why recycle defensive coaches we have had in the past? I'll never really understand that. 

From some wanting Lapolice back to wanting Kavis Reed back, I don't get it. 

Cant speak for others but my reason for wanting Kavis back is because he i like his style D its aggressive. Ive said on another forum that id also like to see Lapo but i kinda flip flop on it.

My reasons are because having O'Shea and Walters both pretty much new to their jobs and having a QB with only a year as starter under his belt  its a good idea to have some experience.

MB style O is just kinda an O... nothing much to it and it seems to stay the same from week to week and he doesent adjust in games very well.

Not a fan of the Etch style D... Gets figured out and like MBs O it doesent change much during games its struggling. Another thing with his D i see is you need really good athletes playing all positions because guys are flying all over they all need to hit hard and tackle well. As soon as you have a few players go down and dont have the skill backups its done as we seen this year.

I'd rather just give a new guy a shot.. a guy who hasn't been here in the past..

If looking for guys with experience, i'd look hard at a guy like Orlando Steinhauer, Yes, he's in Hamilton right now but his contract must be up right away. Throw him the Assistant Coach Title along with DC title and go get him.

Just not a fan of recycling guys we have had in the past.  Plus, I know MOS and Steinhauer are good buddies so that plays a role. Are Kavis and MOS buddies? I don't know but generally coaches go after guys they know like and are familliar with, have a history with. Is there history between MOS and Kavis "the ultimate warrior" Reed? I don't know. 

I'd rather just give a new guy a shot.. a guy who hasn't been here in the past..

If looking for guys with experience, i'd look hard at a guy like Orlando Steinhauer, Yes, he's in Hamilton right now but his contract must be up right away. Throw him the Assistant Coach Title along with DC title and go get him.

Just not a fan of recycling guys we have had in the past.  Plus, I know MOS and Steinhauer are good buddies so that plays a role. Are Kavis and MOS buddies? I don't know but generally coaches go after guys they know like and are familliar with, have a history with. Is there history between MOS and Kavis "the ultimate warrior" Reed? I don't know. 

I can see your point to. And you are right guys do like to stick with people they know. I wouldnt be opposed to  Orlando Steinhauer