Tired of Living On Hope?

BigBlue

if you can't afford tickets or don't live in Winnipeg that's one story but if you can afford seasons and choose not to go because the team isn't winning then you're just a bandwagon jumper plain and simple. Try and justify it to yourself all you like you're only fooling yourself. 

There is this thing called a life that people have and have more time for than watching football.

No one is talking about that, people are talking about giving up on season tickets because the team isn't winning, that's the mark of a bad fan. Not surprised a Rider fan is OK with bandwagon jumping though. 

I am tired of hearing that we have players with "great potential" and a "core to build around".

We are a very mediocre football club at best and "them" is just the facts.

"Rebuilding" is just another term for a clueless management team that does not know how to recruit or hire.

For 25 years I have waited and watched and hoped. I am just tired of it.

Any temptation to buy season tickets next year have gone out the window. I am a single-game buyer until we finish in first place. Results are all that matter to me.

Make all the off season moves you want, if it is just a marketing ploy I am not interested.

I feel like I have been had, like at a travelling circus, but one that doesn't go anywhere.

In the stock market, you do not jump on the bandwagon until a trend is firmly in place. I don't see no trend.

Bah, humbug!

It's OK, not all fans are created equal, some people just aren't as much of a fan as others and can only support a winner. No shame in being less of a fan than the rest of us. 

All the fans who have purchased tickets for the last 24 years but still want a team that will be at least 9-9 would strongly disagree with your comment. Being willing to accept poor performances and failure every year would never work in any other business and definitively does not make one a better fan. What's the incentive for the club to get better if all were to accept its failure.  A company would not wait one and a half year to decide whether you're good or not. Let's face it, we hired HC's that had no experience and have paid them handsomely while they were learning and perhaps becoming good at their job. Seems we never learn so we get stuck having to wait into the next year to see if the training has pay off. If it hasn't we start again with a new rookie and promises things will be better this time. 

No, those who while not accepting what is happening but still showing up are the real fans, not those who drank the kool-aid because Jimmy Jones told them to.

All I am saying is if you aren't buying season tickets because the team isn't winning you aren't that much of a fan. If I lived in Winnipeg I'd be buying season tickets every year and it wouldn't even be a question. 

So who said the fans were not buying tickets because the team was not winning. After having been screwed for all these years I think the Winnipeg/Manitoba fan is exemplary.  Remember, a fan does  not have a seat on the BOD table so he just can't walk up and say:"You guys's system stinks." The only way he can express his displeasure is by using his cash to do something else on game day.

The Bomber Club does not have an inherent right to expect fans to show up, it's a privilege it must earn but for years it's a privilege it has enjoyed on credit. Good for you for wanting to be at the game, that would make you another of the 28,000 or so who were there this year. Discount the last two games when many fans decided to speak to the Board.

I would actually pay money to listen to the giant burst of laughter that would erupt from the board room if you walked up to them and said that. The hilarity would be infectious...

Hence the 24 year drough

It's absurd for people who have zero knowledge of the WBBFC board to make accusations like that. If it were me on the board, I'd be laughing uproariously at any outsider trying to tell me what to do...

Just wondering how much the board is laughing uproariously  after they found out the club had lost over half a mil because the ones who know nothing about the game did not bother showing up for the last two games.  But again, thinking about how things have gone in the past you might be right.

It's absurd for people who have zero knowledge of the WBBFC board to make accusations like that. If it were me on the board, I'd be laughing uproariously at any outsider trying to tell me what to do...

Just wondering how much the board is laughing uproariously after they found out the club had lost over half a mil because the ones who know nothing about the game did not bother showing up for the last two games. But again, thinking about how things have gone in the past you might be right.

Some on the BOD could be laughing. If Bombers can't pay the bills because of poor attendance, David Asper could own the team soon.

I live and breath this team. I even went to practice today to see what was up over there for Saturday's game.

That being said, my hopes weren't sky high for this team this year and my expectations weren't changed due to the start of the season as I watched this team for what they were.

My expectations never waivered. I wanted a better winning record and an all in effort for every game, win or lose. I knew that the offence was going to be rough all season and we would live or die by the performance of the defence.

This all happened.

Was I happy with every game? Heck no. Different reasons for different games. But I was never disappointed in the effort of this team. This team with help in certain areas will break this cycle. I also know we will get to the GC with this management team and this core but I also know we need time to get there. As long as there are no panic means to get there, we will do it. I'm not living on hope, I'm living in a realistic view of what this team needs to grow and therefore don't get all pissed off when a first year team don't make the playoffs.

Buying season tickets isn't what makes a person a fan.  

You're right -- taking the contrarian point of view toward every decision the club makes is a real fan.

Fans come in all types from Kool aid chuggers who can't ever see anything bad to those who can't see anything good and everywhere in between.  From those who can't afford season tickets to those who can afford to go to games even in other cities.  From those who vote with their wallets to those to show their displeasure to those who buy anything Bombers including pigeon poop jersey's.  From the sunshine, lollipops, rainbows and unicorn set who 'feel sorry for people who can't see just how good we will someday be' to the pessimistic Eyeore's who can't understand how we will ever win another game.  All are fans.  In a perfect world, they'd all be treated with the same respect.

^ THIS ^

I am tired of hearing that we have players with "great potential" and a "core to build around".

We are a very mediocre football club at best and "them" is just the facts.

"Rebuilding" is just another term for a clueless management team that does not know how to recruit or hire.

For 25 years I have waited and watched and hoped. I am just tired of it.

Any temptation to buy season tickets next year have gone out the window. I am a single-game buyer until we finish in first place. Results are all that matter to me.

Make all the off season moves you want, if it is just a marketing ploy I am not interested.

I feel like I have been had, like at a travelling circus, but one that doesn't go anywhere.

In the stock market, you do not jump on the bandwagon until a trend is firmly in place. I don't see no trend.

Bah, humbug!

It's OK, not all fans are created equal, some people just aren't as much of a fan as others and can only support a winner. No shame in being less of a fan than the rest of us. 

Why are you judging him less of a fan for expecting more? 

"No shame in being less of a fan than the rest of us. "

Then why are you implying there is, by mentioning shame in the first place?

I live and breath this team. I even went to practice today to see what was up over there for Saturday's game.

That being said, my hopes weren't sky high for this team this year and my expectations weren't changed due to the start of the season as I watched this team for what they were.

My expectations never waivered. I wanted a better winning record and an all in effort for every game, win or lose. I knew that the offence was going to be rough all season and we would live or die by the performance of the defence.

This all happened.

Was I happy with every game? Heck no. Different reasons for different games. But I was never disappointed in the effort of this team. This team with help in certain areas will break this cycle. I also know we will get to the GC with this management team and this core but I also know we need time to get there. As long as there are no panic means to get there, we will do it. I'm not living on hope, I'm living in a realistic view of what this team needs to grow and therefore don't get all pissed off when a first year team don't make the playoffs.

I like what you're saying overall in this post, I really do. But remarkably coming from a person like me who coaches Atom football players where 100% effort and focus is everything, this statement imho is blinding some Bomber decision-makers from corrececly evaluating players and making some tough decisions. The tough reality being that regardless of 100% effort every play every down and being a loyal team member to a fault is unfortunately not good enough to guarantee a roster spot/starting position. We aren't in Atom, Peewee or Bantam anymore. When I really think about it, that's how Wade Miller was able to be a Bomber for so long . He was simply not talented enough to warrant taking up a roster spot but boy was he loyal, focussed and a hard worker. Probably why he got into private business. Now that he's leading this organization with a head coach who seems to be molded quite similarly, this color blindedness of seeing effort/loyalty as the end all be all of who deserves to be a Bomber concerns me.

This all happened.

I like what you're saying overall in this post, I really do. But remarkably coming from a person like me who coaches Atom football players where 100% effort and focus is everything, this statement imho is blinding some Bomber decision-makers from corrececly evaluating players and making some tough decisions. The tough reality being that regardless of 100% effort every play every down and being a loyal team member to a fault is unfortunately not good enough to guarantee a roster spot/starting position. We aren't in Atom, Peewee or Bantam anymore. When I really think about it, that's how Wade Miller was able to be a Bomber for so long . He was simply not talented enough to warrant taking up a roster spot but boy was he loyal, focussed and a hard worker. Probably why he got into private business. Now that he's leading this organization with a head coach who seems to be molded quite similarly, this color blindedness of seeing effort/loyalty as the end all be all of who deserves to be a Bomber concerns me.

Bullshit. Wade Miller may not have been the most talented guy but there was a time when he was one of the teams best special teams players and he clearly had the talent to be a CFLer. 

This all happened.

Bullshit. Wade Miller may not have been the most talented guy but there was a time when he was one of the teams best special teams players and he clearly had the talent to be a CFLer.

That's what I like about you Spock, er I mean 17to85, all logic no emotion

I don't like the " the team hasn't won in 24 years thing" too much, it's not like it's the same players, heck most BOD members have changed since then, all of them even? I have no idea actually but i'd assume all of them have indeed changed, It's not this regimes fault, this regime was just put together last season, reality really is this season as they named the coaches pretty later in the off-season. Different players, different BOD members, different GM'S, different presidents, different coaches, different players... and none of them have won.

Starts to make one wonder if maybe the problem isn't something else actually. Before you learn to walk you have to crawl and before you run you have to learn to walk.. have we allowed them to crawl? perhaps this season we started crawling, pretty close in most games, maybe next year we start to walk and then we will be well on our way to running. Patience i think is needed, 2011 wasn't that long ago folks, we were in the cup that year. 

Just curious, if we won the cup vs sask a few years back (the one where glenn was hurt the week or 2 b4 the cup) or in 2011, would we still be going on about this? Cuz it's not like the team hasn't made it to the playoffs or grey cup in 24 years, they just haven't won. Things just haven't gone in our way when we made it..

didn't a 14-4 bomber team lose to an 8-10 stampeder team in the grey cup one year too during the drougt?

I don't like the " the team hasn't won in 24 years thing" too much, it's not like it's the same players, heck most BOD members have changed since then, all of them even? I have no idea actually but i'd assume all of them have indeed changed, It's not this regimes fault, this regime was just put together last season, reality really is this season as they named the coaches pretty later in the off-season. Different players, different BOD members, different GM'S, different presidents, different coaches, different players... and none of them have won.

Starts to make one wonder if maybe the problem isn't something else actually. Before you learn to walk you have to crawl and before you run you have to learn to walk.. have we allowed them to crawl? perhaps this season we started crawling, pretty close in most games, maybe next year we start to walk and then we will be well on our way to running. Patience i think is needed, 2011 wasn't that long ago folks, we were in the cup that year. 

Just curious, if we won the cup vs sask a few years back (the one where glenn was hurt the week or 2 b4 the cup) or in 2011, would we still be going on about this? Cuz it's not like the team hasn't made it to the playoffs or grey cup in 24 years, they just haven't won. Things just haven't gone in our way when we made it..

didn't a 14-4 bomber team lose to an 8-10 stampeder team in the grey cup one year too during the drougt?

A win in 2001, 2007 or 2011 would have done great things for the team because it would have cleared a lot of the angst away from some people and there wouldn't be that pressure heaped on the team because of it. 

This all happened.

Thanks for your opinion, but to use your well used quote on other people, your opinion is not based on fact. Wade Miller was not a very good football player, that's a fact. He was also the same guy who came out and said he would quit the team if a very bad coach was fired which would suggest not the best judgement of talent as well. Do love his loyalty and commitment though, misguided at times.

This all happened.

Thanks for your opinion, but to use your well used quote on other people, your opinion is not based on fact. Wade Miller was not a very good football player, that's a fact. He was also the same guy who came out and said he would quit the team if a very bad coach was fired which would suggest not the best judgement of talent as well. Do love his loyalty and commitment though, misguided at times.

"Wade Miller was not a very good football player" but good enough to get into WBB Hall of Fame

This all happened.

"Wade Miller was not a very good football player" but good enough to get into WBB Hall of Fame

And I congratulate him on that, well done. I'm sure he's a great guy, bleeds blue and gold like we all do but for the 11 seasons I watched the Bombers while he was playing, knowing this can be very subjective because stats don't tell the whole story and to split hairs somewhat, I would not have put him in the 'good category'. I would have put him in the 'useable category' but within very defined parameters of use, i/e., special teams, pass protection. He was like the Scott Arniel of Hockey, okay, showed flashes at times but overall just adequate.       

This all happened.

No kidding......what a completely ridiculous statement to say he's not a good football player when all other facts point to the contrary.

This all happened.

It's based on a hell of a lot more facts than your erroneous claims that he wasn't a very good football player. Guys who aren't good football players simply don't have the kind of careers that Miller had. What facts are you willing to bring to this argument other than "I watched him good and he sucked!!!11!"?

This all happened.

It's based on a hell of a lot more facts than your erroneous claims that he wasn't a very good football player. Guys who aren't good football players simply don't have the kind of careers that Miller had. What facts are you willing to bring to this argument other than "I watched him good and he sucked!!!11!"?

"Herp derp he kept going offside!11!!!! rabble rabble"

This all happened.

"Herp derp he kept going offside!11!!!! rabble rabble"

can you work in a fat joke somewhere?