Mike O'shea - Sad Reality

SmokinBlue

I hope he learns from this year because if not we're in serious trouble next year.

His  coaching and personnel decisions alone have cost us a playoff spot. Bring in Romby Bryant and not gettin grid of him immediately when it was OBVIOUS that he was not mentally with us, is mistake # 1. Sticking with Drew Willy and his mentality to NEVER EVER EVER EVER pull him, is mistake #2. Starting Griggsby over Cotton, mistake #3, and not firing Etcheverry is mistake #4. Those 4 mistake have combined to cost us AT LEAST 5 games and a playoff spot an have combined to embarrass us continually at home in our still new Stadium. Kuale is another example, Mike, just because he was your BFF in TO, doesn't mean he should be defended no matter what he does. 

So If O'shea learns ANYTHING this year, I hope it's he has learned that he doesn't have to 100% stand by every promise he makes to every player or coach, especially if that player or coach is not holding up his end of the bargain. If he doesn't learn that by next year, we're screwed.

I hope he learns from this year because if not we're in serious trouble next year.

His  coaching and personnel decisions alone have cost us a playoff spot. Bring in Romby Bryant and not gettin grid of him immediately when it was OBVIOUS that he was not mentally with us, is mistake # 1. Sticking with Drew Willy and his mentally to NEVER EVER EVER EVER pull him, is mistake #2. Starting Griggsby over Cotton, mistake #3, and not firing Etcheverry is mistake #4. Those 4 mistake have combined to cost us AT LEAST 5 games and a playoff spot an have combined to embarrass us continually at home in our still new Stadium. Kuale is another example, Mike, just because he was your BFF in TO, doesn't mean he should be defend no matter what he does. 

So If O'shea learns ANYTHING this year, I hope it's he has learned that he doesn't have to 100% stand by every promise he makes to every player or coach, are not always correct, especially if that player or coach is not holding up his end of the bargain. If he doesn't learn that by next year, we're screwed.

You mised mistake #5.  Sitting Sears for 5 games when he was healthy.

It's not just O'Shea; player recruiting and the coordinators need to be better next season. Was surprised to be reminded Benevides is in his third season as an HC - there were plenty of times when I thought for sure he was gonna get axed. Here some are saying chop O'Shea by Labour Day??!! Obviously if the team goes winless the first half of next season then sure (as that would basically be a seasons worth of straight losses). I don't believe that will happen. The management genuinely seems to care and I think they'll use the offseason to think real hard about the good and the bad this year.

It's not just O'Shea; player recruiting and the coordinators need to be better next season. Was surprised to be reminded Benevides is in his third season as an HC - there were plenty of times when I thought for sure he was gonna get axed. Here some are saying chop O'Shea by Labour Day??!! Obviously if the team goes winless the first half of next season then sure (as that would basically be a seasons worth of straight losses). I don't believe that will happen. The management genuinely seems to care and I think they'll use the offseason to think real hard about the good and the bad this year.

Its mostly on MOS, he started 5-1 so we had some talent... it comes down to his stubborness IMO, if you don't agree with him you are out the door way to harsh..

If you kiss his ass ( Romby , EJ, Willy ) you can play no matter what...

That was me & I'll stand by that remark. MOS will have had by that time nearly 30 games to right the ship. More than enough games to have proven himself. The Death Watch will start in Regina then if we're struggling. 

BigBlueFanatic, on 26 Oct 2014 - 01:01 AM, said:

Yeah, I can get behind this.  Right now, it's a situation where I want changes to the way some things are done with this team, and O'Shea certainly does need to learn from mistakes that Smokin' Blue is pointing out.  But I do agree though that we gotta be committed to doing things the right way around here.

I'm a fan who certainly does not believe anyone setting foot in this door as either a HC or AC is above firing, but at the same time, it is still possible to give up on somebody prematurely.  Obviously, I'm disappointed we didn't stick with Cotton sooner or get the O-line in as good of shape as I might've liked to have seen down the stretch, but also, despite the losses, a lot of them have been close ones, so I guess then you ask yourself is this team in any way comparable to 2010?  That year was bad, no sugar coating stuff, but yet we came out with no firings at the end of that one.

It's a tough choice imo.  I'm probably not gonna go call for the whole organization's head on platters yet, but I certainly think the rope should be getting tighter as far as next year is concerned.

Think that to take the next step.....

1.  MOS is going to have to be somewhat more assertive, in terms of what he wants. (sort of team, style and schemes of play) This year looked like the classic rookie coach deferring too much to the veteran coordinators.....who at times, frankly appeared to not have a clue ..... 

2.  This clinging to (playing time for) useless articles, vets or not (eg. Romby, Kuale) through misplaced loyalty, or whatever.....has to stop.

Bottom line:  We need to make some coaching changes, anyways. 

Marcel is the definition of "mediocre" and once again, the league has figured out Etch.  We lost 7 games by 7 points or less, mostly because his funky schemes, couldn't prevent other teams from jamming up our asses, in crunch-time.   We played it safe with coaching hires, this past off season (recycling the ole boy club) and need to be more proactive, this off season......

I'm wondering what would happen if we handed the entire playcalling duties to Buck Pierce?

No logic to that and waaaay too much of a gamble in the precarious situation the Bombers find themselves in after this season.  Best to get out of the blocks early in the off-season and grab the best fishes in the CFL pond.

Giving it to Buck is the last thing we need. He needs more experience to progress to OC. Long learning curve even for a former veteran qb. 

Think that to take the next step.....

1.  MOS is going to have to be somewhat more assertive, in terms of what he wants. (sort of team, style and schemes of play) This year looked like the classic rookie coach deferring too much to the veteran coordinators.....who at times, frankly appeared to not have a clue ..... 

2.  This clinging to (playing time for) useless articles, vets or not (eg. Romby, Kuale) through misplaced loyalty, or whatever.....has to stop.

Bottom line:  We need to make some coaching changes, anyways. 

Marcel is the definition of "mediocre" and once again, the league has figured out Etch.  We lost 7 games by 7 points or less, mostly because his funky schemes, couldn't prevent other teams from jamming up our asses, in crunch-time.   We played it safe with coaching hires, this past off season (recycling the ole boy club) and need to be more proactive, this off season......

When the Bombers needed a two and out with two and half minutes left in the game, BC twice ran for 9 yards on first down, leading to easy second down conversions.  This essentially ended the game as the Bombers only had 25 seconds to take the ball down the field for the win.

As little as 3 years ago, the Bombers seemed capable of getting the 2 and outs whenever they needed them late in the game to at least give their offense a chance to tie or win the game on the subsequent drive.  The offense, of course, did not always come through, but at least the defense gave them a chance!

Too many times this year when the defense has needed to make a big stop, to keep the game to a 1-TD differential or less, they have crapped the bed - allowing precious time to burn off the clock as the opposing offenses churned out yards along the ground ultimately leading to additional points (FG or TD) and ultimately leaving the game out of reach.

BIG mistake leaving Willy in when it was plain to see to everyone in the stadium he was not performing. Sure he has to get game experience but this was a game we had to win. Would Marve have pulled it off? We'll never know now. Mike has a lot to learn, and sticking with your starter when there was obvious ineptitude, and the chance to be injured, is nutz. I don't want to see Etch back here next year or Bellefool. If O'Shea sticks with these losers it could be his undoing. Well, on to next year and contemplate our high pick in the draft, AGAIN. Maybe if we can continue to pick up quality Canadian talent with high pics we'll have a winner by 2025.

Dunno why this guy does not have enuf faith in Lirim. 3 and 5 in Ottawa, too windy to attempt field goal or punt.

At least once in every home game from Banjo Bowl on he could have attempted FG from high 40's-low 50's with the wind. Last night it was 3rd q I think and we were on the B.C. 42/43. No attempt.

Mike walked into a team with little Canadian talent.  The Non-Imports brought in to fill the holes got hurt (Lucas, Alexander, Neufeld, etc).  The team dealt with multiple injuries (Suber, Sears, Moore, Watson, Anderson, Willy) and were competitive in many games (sans Edmonton and the Ottawa game).  

The team showed flashes... Leggett at safety, Bruce Johnson at HB, Sears & Wild at LB, Anderson on the DL, and Willy at QB.  The Canadian backup talent is younger and more promising than that of past years too.  

In past years, our team mismanaged games, and the play clock with veterans at the helm.  Sure, at the start of the year we did the same.  At the end of the game on Saturday, we looked to be the team with the better CFL game knowledge.  At the end of the half, BC screwed their chance at the TD.  At the end of the 4th quarter, Rory Kolhert hit the deck with 2 seconds left for one more play.  It's plays like this that will win games for us in the future.

Dunno why this guy does not have enuf faith in Lirim. 3 and 5 in Ottawa, too windy to attempt field goal or punt.

At least once in every home game from Banjo Bowl on he could have attempted FG from high 40's-low 50's with the wind. Last night it was 3rd q I think and we were on the B.C. 42/43. No attempt.

Remember the 30 yarder that he missed...that was actually a tipping point in the game.  With those 2 points (he kicked a single) they can kick the convert after the last TD and be down by two points instead of 5 at the end of the game.

Agreed MOS has to take firmer hold and set the direction for this team to go. That will come with more experience.

The hiring of the OC for MOS, was almost a pre-dertermined fait accompli because, well, he was here, he has an offensive basis already, and he's good for young QBs…to a point.

That point has passed.

The DC was more of an EA hiring. E=experienced A=available.

Pretty good for a 1st year hiring but if it's one thing we've learned, it's that Etch doesn't adapt well.

The players we had did pretty good for what they were asked to do. A DL or 2, MLB? and a new mind set will go a long way next year.

I like the fact MOS and Walters are continually trying to upgrade this team. It's needed.

A lot will be told on how they handle the OC and DC positions.

Only after they solve that issue can they identify and target new players, so get on with it boys.

MOS stays..we need continuity, and it's way to early to start picking dates to rid ourselves of him.

Mr Dee, on 26 Oct 2014 - 11:13 PM, said:

Agreed MOS has to take firmer hold and set the direction for this team to go. That will come with more experience.

The hiring of the OC for MOS, was almost a pre-dertermined fait accompli because, well, he was here, he has an offensive basis already, and he's good for young QBs…to a point.

That point has passed.

The DC was more of an EA hiring. E=experienced A=available.

Pretty good for a 1st year hiring but if it's one thing we've learned, it's that Etch doesn't adapt well.

The players we had did pretty good for what they were asked to do. A DL or 2, MLB? and a new mind set will go a long way next year.

I like the fact MOS and Walters are continually trying to upgrade this team. It's needed.

A lot will be told on how they handle the OC and DC positions.

Only after they solve that issue can they identify and target new players, so get on with it boys.

MOS stays..we need continuity, and it's way to early to start picking dates to rid ourselves of him.

Good, glad somebody at least sees it that way.  Tried telling that to the venereally diseased people on the other site and they got no clue whatsoever.  I did happen to notice though that Dave Ritchie had only 6 wins his first season here too, and even his 2nd one when he made it all the way to the East final, he only had 7.  But yeah, 3 years in and he finally got the 14-win season, our most successful since Riley left.  I'm not saying O'Shea is Ritchie, but give a coach time and he can get the job done, not to mention Ritchie inherited a mess probably about as bad as the one O'Shea was given.

Also, we gotta remember something.  I hear everyone talk about talent infusion.  That's important, but more so than that, we gotta get cohesion, that's something that takes a year or 2 to infuse.  I'm for letting it play out to see If that can be done.

I still have a lot of time for Mike O'Shea. He is the least of our problems here. There are a lot of places that could use a talent upgrade. Notably defensive line needs to be a LOT better. I'd say they need to find one more receiver who can hit 1000 yards as well. Then there's the OL which needs to figure itself out.

Dumping O'Shea would be dumb.. He is a rookie folks, expect mistakes in his first bloody year.. Ditto Willy, he was expected to stumble and stumble he did but it's frightening how far ahead of our last few seasons QBs were. Hell, doesn't he lead the league in passing? Behind our shitty line with our shitty receivers? That's a solid base to start with..

We definitely are lacking a defensive line that can get at the QB and that can stop the run... Our LBs need a little tweak (and a prototypical MLB) and our secondary is pretty tight.. Oline woes continue but that has to be addressed via draft or big splash FAs.. QB can be considered "set" even if brohm lands a new gig in the offseason.. Cotton looks like a legit RB but will keep searching I'm sure and receivers are a mess.. Baby steps made this season but considering how bad we have been the last 2-3 seasons, progress is made and it's not made on shaky ground...

Kyle Walters really has his work cut out for him this offseason. He absolutely needs to bring in some unknowns who can push guys for jobs and even take them outright in training camp. That's the next step for this team. It think in most places there's enough of a core there they can build on. 

I guess the honeymoon is over.

It's heading for a messy divorce next season. Replace all  the coordinators, Mike. 

And start finding players Walters. 

I would put the Firing Order at 1A Etch, 1B Bellfool, 2A MOS 2B Walters

Might even move Walters up ahead of MOS. Really like Mike and am still appalled at the lack of talent we had on the field.