Brohm has a broken thumb; Willy to start

TBieber

I like what Marve did last week.  I think he brings great physical tools, a positive attitude, and a desire to win.   That being said, Calgary didn't game plan for a dual threat qb.  They game planned for a pocket passer.  It's tough to make adjustments on the fly for a completely different style of QB.  Calgary wasn't prepared for his style of play.   If the opposition prepares for a running QB, the success could be limited.

I'm a fan of a 2 QB system for this reason, it's tougher on the defence when things change that radically.

That said, Willy is the starter, and I look forward to seeing what he can do against BC.

More concerned with O'Shea's inflexibility to switch out QB's when things are not going well.  If the Bombers are headed for a repeat of the Ottawa performance would people not agree that after 3 Q's it would be reasonable to switch to Marve?

I would agree with you, but Willy is in "in between" stage. He's not inexperienced enough that hanging him out to dry is going to shatter his confidence, but he's not experienced enough either that he can't gain valuable knowledge from the reps that he gets while working through a bad game.

Makes sense to me, Gotta start DREW when the game still matters. Expect to see Marve tho in the last game of the year.

Make no sense to me, Willy hasn't played well for Weeks now he hasn't earned the start based on his play other players have to sit and wait their turn but Willy gets to start based on what ? I won't be watching if Willy is playing I am done with stupid coaches starting their guy let the best players play ! Tired of Romby Bryant as well and EJ would be playing if he wasn't injured MOS neesd to learn to start his best players regardless of salary or who his favorites are...

Willy IS the best QB, don't be ridiculous. Suggesting he's not is bordering on idiocy.

I like Marve and think someday he may be better than Willy. That day is not in the near future though. I agree with your statement. I cannot for the life of me figure out how anyone could think Marve is the better QB right now.

Well, Willy has been very ordinary to bad the past 9 weeks. But, I get why MOS will start him as despite Marve's great play Willy does give us the best chance to win. I mean, on one hand you got a Qb who's been playing all year, and mustered all of 23 yards passing and 1 yard net offense against Edmonton, and that same Edmonton defense, the next week, went up against a QB who hasn't thrown a ball in over a year, and he mustered up 23 yards passing in his first series. 

Yep - Willy is the man for sure. 

Actually I like Willy - he's just in the wrong situation. He's a statue back there. Zack Collaros would have been a much better fit here because of his mobility. He got off to a rough start (apparently Austn's offense was hard for him to grasp) and Marve reminds me a bit like Collaros. He's not a statue in the pocket, he can scramble and put pressure on the rush, which is exactly what our oline needs. But hey, what do I know? Records speak for themselves. 

Actually I like Willy - he's just in the wrong situation. He's a statue back there. Zack Collaros would have been a much better fit here because of his mobility. He got off to a rough start (apparently Austn's offense was hard for him to grasp) and Marve reminds me a bit like Collaros. He's not a statue in the pocket, he can scramble and put pressure on the rush, which is exactly what our oline needs. But hey, what do I know? Records speak for themselves. 

Not as much as you like to think you do. 

Records speak for themselves? what was Reillys record last year? 

Doug Browns idea isn't that stupid.  If we could get a 1st round pick or a starting NI O lineman for either Brohm or Marve, I'd make the trade.  (I doubt the other GM's would go for it).  I agree that it's Willy's team and that he should start if he's healthy, but I'd also like to see more of Marve so I see both sides of this argument.  

Willy, when not completely healthy, has not been the best thing for the team this year.

And you always make the trade when the player's value is the highest, although Bomber management hasn't figured that out in a long time.

And you always make the trade when the player's value is the highest, although Bomber management hasn't figured that out in a long time.

What? That sounds like a good way to be the farm team for everyone else in the league. 

I think the assumption is that you make the trades judiciously.

More concerned with O'Shea's inflexibility to switch out QB's when things are not going well.  If the Bombers are headed for a repeat of the Ottawa performance would people not agree that after 3 Q's it would be reasonable to switch to Marve?

You tell me one coach who has the gumption to continually switch out QBs like you seem to think O'Shea should in the CFL..

Go ahead... I'll wait.

Makes sense to me, Gotta start DREW when the game still matters. Expect to see Marve tho in the last game of the year.

Make no sense to me, Willy hasn't played well for Weeks now he hasn't earned the start based on his play other players have to sit and wait their turn but Willy gets to start based on what ? I won't be watching if Willy is playing I am done with stupid coaches starting their guy let the best players play ! Tired of Romby Bryant as well and EJ would be playing if he wasn't injured MOS neesd to learn to start his best players regardless of salary or who his favorites are...

Willy IS the best QB, don't be ridiculous. Suggesting he's not is bordering on idiocy.

I like Marve and think someday he may be better than Willy. That day is not in the near future though. I agree with your statement. I cannot for the life of me figure out how anyone could think Marve is the better QB right now.

Well, Willy has been very ordinary to bad the past 9 weeks. But, I get why MOS will start him as despite Marve's great play Willy does give us the best chance to win. I mean, on one hand you got a Qb who's been playing all year, and mustered all of 23 yards passing and 1 yard net offense against Edmonton, and that same Edmonton defense, the next week, went up against a QB who hasn't thrown a ball in over a year, and he mustered up 23 yards passing in his first series. 

Willy is the starter.. Period. We are STILL in a playoff hunt amazingly.. So why would we go with our #2 guy? What you are saying makes absolutely no sense.. So willy had a rough game against one of the best defences (who got to game plan for him..) big friggin deal..

Not as much as you like to think you do. 

Records speak for themselves? what was Reillys record last year? 

Actually, Reilly is worse this year than last year. I think he has Buck syndrome. Remember the year Buck showed up all jacked up? His accuracy was terrible. I believe the throwing motion of a QB is a lot like a golf swing for a golfer, it's all muscle memory. In other words, in the heat of the battle, when a QB is throwing the ball, they aren't really thinking of the mechanics of the throwing. Reilly's 'touch' isn't there, he's been over throwing his receivers all year. The Eskies are winning because of a superior D, solid special teams, and great coaching. 

The bombers actually remind me a lot of how the Eskies were last year - in a lot of games but not quite finishing them off. With some good recruiting in the off season, maybe we can, if not duplicate, at the very least be in the thick of a playoff hunt with a few games to go (some will argue we still are as memories are really short after a game - we're done). 

As for me - I know what I see. I don't have blue and gold glasses on. Willy was very good his first few games, he's been average to terrible ever since. Brohm/Marve were playing with the same Oline and same receivers Willy was on Thanksgiving, and in fact only had what three days of practice, or was it two, before their tilt with a well rested Stamps team. You think Willy played well against the Esks?  Brohm was way better than him, in the first half. Not sure what you're watching, don't really care. I'm sure Willy will be back next year and a much better QB but right now, this year, he's looking like a second fiddle to Darian Durant, which is why we have him.

So EXCUSE ME for wanting the Bombers to actually get a QB that's not someone's 'hand me down' - how many Anthony Cavillo's are there? One that I know of. You go on believing that the Bombers will eventually strike gold with cast offs. Me, I'm in Marve's corner. He's a guy WE recruited, and WE are developing. He has a long way to go yes but the kid has talent. Willy..... what will you say about him this week when he throws to yet another loss. And remember, Brohm/Marve are playing with the same group of players. If they can make plays with them...............................

Willy is the starter.. Period. We are STILL in a playoff hunt amazingly.. So why would we go with our #2 guy? What you are saying makes absolutely no sense.. So willy had a rough game against one of the best defences (who got to game plan for him..) big friggin deal..

Yes, Willy is the starter, and a Statue, and getting pounded, and he has a bad shoulder. And you better check back, he's had more than one 'rough' game lately. Like I said - short (or selective) memory. Ok Spuds, lets see how Willy 'lights up' B.C. this week. I'll be waiting with baited breath on how you and Goalie will defend him after the B.C. game when we are officially eliminated from the playoffs. 

And by one of the best defences you are of course referring to the RedBlacks?

You tell me one coach who has the gumption to continually switch out QBs like you seem to think O'Shea should in the CFL..

Go ahead... I'll wait.

You had a better chance if you would have asked which coach doesn't have the gumption to switch out a QB to give his team a change of pace.

Hufnagel-playoff game be damned.

Austin-all day any day.

Higgins-keep lookin' for a better one.

Chamblin-he would if he had anything better.

Campbell-enuff of Frank already.

Bennevides-what's a matta with Glenn?

O'Shea-"we switched QB's but nobody noticed cause there were 3 seconds left."

This thread is just Crazy.

Willy is our Number 1 QB  in his FIRST year as a starting Qb.. He needs experience to continue to grow.. we need to play him as he will be the starter next year.  Marve showed that he had alot of mobility and drive to extend plays! That is awesome, but so far that's all he has shown.

We finally have a QB that that we can Build around (Willy) and we got to keep going with that until Marve outplays him in practise, and in games.  When and if Willy Gets hurt, Marve will have another Chance.

No one will outplay Willy in practice for one good reason I have been to at least 10 practices this year and no one is putting any pressure on the QBs I have never seen a practice where a player was brought to the ground. In other words everyone looks good until the real bullets fly...

And on the subject of practice I have never seen where our 1 one offense goes against our 1 one defense its always first team vs scout team ?

To me there are times when you go best against best and so far I have not seen that with the bombers practices...

This thread is just Crazy.

Willy is our Number 1 QB  in his FIRST year as a starting Qb.. He needs experience to continue to grow.. we need to play him as he will be the starter next year.  Marve showed that he had alot of mobility and drive to extend plays! That is awesome, but so far that's all he has shown.

We finally have a QB that that we can Build around (Willy) and we got to keep going with that until Marve outplays him in practise, and in games.  When and if Willy Gets hurt, Marve will have another Chance.

No one will outplay Willy in practice for one good reason I have been to at least 10 practices this year and no one is putting any pressure on the QBs I have never seen a practice where a player was brought to the ground. In other words everyone looks good until the real bullets fly...

And on the subject of practice I have never seen where our 1 one offense goes against our 1 one defense its always first team vs scout team ?

To me there are times when you go best against best and so far I have not seen that with the bombers practices...

Teams don't practice like that. If anything, the defensive players are told to let the qb throw the football  & finish the play. And they don't tackle in practice like it's a game or there'd be no players left to actually play. They wrap & at most it's called thud. Practice is just that... Practice. It's about the offense getting reps. The offense can't do that with the qb on his back. 

I agree Willy should play, I wasn't really impressed with Brohm until I saw him play in this game before he got injured. I was impressed with Marve in pre-season and he did nothing to alter that opinion in the game. Willy is not the same as he was, as a result of the pounding he has taken. It was the same with Reilly last year. 

One thing though...Many times this year we have been in 2nd and three or 2nd and five situations, and almost every single time, Willy has tried a pass over 20 yards. It has also happened from the 1-3 yard line in the red zone.

I think Willy tries to do too much in those situations, but they are low percentage plays. I think he just really wants to help the team too much and also has a gunslinger mentality. What I liked about Brohm in the game was that he didn't try to do too much in those situations, and instead of us having to punt, we got first downs. I just hope Willy matures as a QB so that he is more patient, and takes what is given to him.

Go ahead... I'll wait.

You had a better chance if you would have asked which coach doesn't have the gumption to switch out a QB to give his team a change of pace.

Austin-all day any day.

No smart coach will switch out there starter for a backup unless 1) there starter gets injured, or 2) they're coming off a year where they lost their starter and they're looking for their new #1.

Most successful coaches do not switch out QB's midgame (I'm not talking about trick plays, I mean a full switch out where the starter doesn't come back).  Most of the coaches I remember who ever did that on a regular basis lost most of the time and are no longer HC's.

We had Elliot who became frustrated and tried to win games by forcing the ball into double and triple coverage, usually with disastrous results. Willy seems to be trying to do the same thing, but by waiting for a receiver to get open and knowing he is going to get hit. The problem is that he's been hit so often and so hard that he is probably suffering from PTSD by now. Part of his maturation has to be to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

Go ahead... I'll wait.

Austin-all day any day.

No smart coach will switch out there starter for a backup unless 1) there starter gets injured, or 2) they're coming off a year where they lost their starter and they're looking for their new #1.

Most successful coaches do not switch out QB's midgame (I'm not talking about trick plays, I mean a full switch out where the starter doesn't come back).  Most of the coaches I remember who ever did that on a regular basis lost most of the time and are no longer HC's.

Put any of the listed coach's except O'Shea in a situation were they are behind and their O is doing nothing and I don't think they would have a problem switching out the QB.  You don't see winning coach's like Hufnagel do this often because they don't usually find themselves in that situation.