Jace Daniels

Mike

7 import OLs now... 

January, Jones, Knapp, Howard, Anderson, Tyler and Daniels

any possibilities one of them will be on the outs ?

The expanded practise roster does eventually contract.

We're starting 3 and none are sensational.  We need depth and we're still exploring options.  Could keep as many as 6 I suppose.  5 seems more likely.

The running back question is a poser all right.

Nowhere, on our roster, do I see an attempt to find that breakaway, exciting back that each team tries to locate, even as a complimentary runner.

This unwavering belief that Grigsby can do it all and be the vaunted tailback that we need is very puzzling, to say the least.

Those dozen RBs that we could have paid a dime for, are nowhere to be found, it seems.

It goes against logic to stick with the same guy who can only give you a small part of what this offence sorely needs to pick up this offence and make it a hell of a lot better.

The opposition knows what kind of RB Grigsby is, and I'll tell you one thing, he doesn't scare them.

This potential signing goes against what I've been reading here that Walters is not doing anything to try and make this team better.

Daniels,

Marvin Booker DE,

Devin Tyler OL,

Thaddeus Gibson DL,

Willie Moseley DE/LB (again)

Justin Wilson WR,

Rashad Lawrence WR,

Must all be phantom signings.

the trade for Gibson and signing of Moseley and Booker is due to Vega and Frazer being injured.

Wilson and and Lawrence is probably just for a look-see and guys may get an invite next years TC if show some promise. although we are not really that good on our import rec positions except for Denamrk. Moore is in and out off the lineup. Kelly's play is on and off. Bryant is washed up. So we need find and upgrade there.

Anderson, Tyler and Daniels is for the musical chair on our OL. I wouldnt be surprised if in one this game January will sit in favor of Jones, Anderson or Daniels. I actually got a feeling that January is on the trading block. Yeah, yeah he's our best OL as someone would say it but I dont agree with it. To me. the best OL we have currently is Greaves and Morley (yes Morley).

I agree we need to see some RBs but still the question is will these current coaching staff will give this new guys their chance on the field?

This potential signing goes against what I've been reading here that Walters is not doing anything to try and make this team better.

Daniels,

Marvin Booker DE,

Devin Tyler OL,

Thaddeus Gibson DL,

Justin Wilson WR,

Rashad Lawrence WR,

As near as I can tell, none of these have wowed anyone.

Daniels,

Marvin Booker DE,

Devin Tyler OL,

Thaddeus Gibson DL,

Justin Wilson WR,

Rashad Lawrence WR,

the trade for Gibson and signing of Moseley and Booker is due to Vega and Frazer being injured.

Wilson and and Lawrence is probably just for a look-see and guys may get an invite next years TC if show some promise. although we are not really that good on our import rec positions except for Denamrk. Moore is in and out off the lineup. Kelly's play is on and off. Bryant is washed up. So we need find and upgrade there.

Anderson, Tyler and Daniels is for the musical chair on our OL. I wouldnt be surprised if in one this game January will sit in favor of Jones, Anderson or Daniels. I actually got a feeling that January is on the trading block. Yeah, yeah he's our best OL as someone would say it but I dont agree with it. To me. the best OL we have currently is Greaves and Morley (yes Morley).

I agree we need to see some RBs but still the question is will these current coaching staff will give this new guys their chance on the field?

Aren't they all though? Like every football player on every team on every planet?? I thought Mike said, and hey man IT'S MIKE, but thought he said the bombers were high on one of those receivers. Sure, it's for a look see but.. At one time, all the guys were in for a "look see". 

Unless the guy has some CFL experience, you generally don't bring him straight on to roster the first week he's here. Putting a guy in that early with no knowledge of the CFL... it's crazy, it ruins them. Give them a few weeks to pick up on the quirks of the CFL, or what makes the CFL the CFL. 

As much as maybe we all think that a guy like Bryant shouldn't be playing, he's got some experience and i suppose brings a bit of a veteran presence to the team which lacks veterans for sure or the veterans we have are mediocre. Kuale,Bryant,January really, Morley i guess would be too. He's had a good season tho for the most part. Couple bad games but not nearly as many as others around him, YOu just need to give the guys coming up here a chance to learn the nuances of the game, it's not just 3 downs that's different from the NFL or NCAA, it's others, 20 second play clock, for receivers, the waggling. 

These guys will be given there chance to play i'm sure, especially the ones they are high on, or who make an impression or if injuries happen and when they do, hopefully some of them show that they belong or have potential to belong. 

Assuming that we still have sports reporters with strong enough stomachs to continue to attend Bomber practices, we ought to be getting some glowing reports on some of these cannon fodder. So either the newbies are lackluster or no one is keeping an eye on them.

Assuming that we still have sports reporters with strong enough stomachs to continue to attend Bomber practices, we ought to be getting some glowing reports on some of these cannon fodder. So either the newbies are lackluster or no oneone is keeping an eye on them.

As we haven't had a report from practice worth noting in MONTHS, I'm hesitant to say it's the fact they are lacklustre...

But hey, if you would rather assume they are garbage, more power to ya..

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting read on our new left tackle:

http://www.pewterrep...9862:&Itemid=15

"FAB 3. DANIELS IS A HIDDEN GEM ON TAMPA BAY'S OFFENSIVE LINE
One of the reasons why the Buccaneers decided to move on from Jeremy Zuttah, the team’s center over the past two seasons, was the behind-the-scenes development of Jace Daniels, an undrafted free agent the team signed last year. Daniels was on Tampa Bay’s practice squad all of last year and made quite an impression on the organization as he learned to play the center position for the first time in his football career.

No, Daniels wasn’t a candidate to start in 2014. That’s not why Zuttah was traded to Baltimore. But the 6-foot-4, 315-pound Daniels was thought to be a developmental prospect that could continue to learn the center position from free agent acquisition Evan Dietrich-Smith, who will be the starting center to replace Zuttah.

Daniels’ hard-working style has earned him the respect of Tampa Bay’s veterans – past and present – since he debuted in red and pewter last May.

“I didn’t find out that he’s never played center until training camp,” Bucs right tackle Demar Dotson said. “I asked him, ‘Didn’t you play center in college?’ He told me no, and that he only played left tackle and that he didn’t play center until he got here. I didn’t know how tough it was because I didn’t know he had never done it. He was willing to learn, and when I say willing it’s not like he had a choice. He’s got to learn it or he’s not going to be around.”

Daniels was a four-year starter at left tackle at Northern Michigan, earning second-team All-Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference honors as a junior and first-team honors as a senior.

that displayed his nasty attitude, quick feet and athleticism helped lead him to Tampa Bay as an undrafted free agent, which was the way Dotson and former left tackle Donald Penn entered the NFL.

“I watch those two and how they act – everything from how they are in the facility to how they are on the field,” Daniels said. “What separates them from highly-drafted guys is that they have that fighting mentality where nothing is given to them and they have to work for it. It’s called hunger. That hunger is going to be there for their entire career.”

Penn marveled at Daniels’ ability to switch positions from the left tackle spot he was so familiar with to playing center, which was completely foreign to him.

“That’s probably one of the hardest switches – from tackle to center,” Penn said about Daniels late last year. “You’ve got to know when to snap the ball and your knowledge of the game has to be there. I give him a lot of credit to be able to make that switch. The center has to know all the line calls and what everybody is doing. He’s talented. He’s a talented guy. I was a little sad when they cut him the first time, but I was glad to see them bring him back because the dude can play. I love seeing guys like him succeed because that’s how I started when I came into the league.

“I’m a big supporter of his. He works hard, and if he puts his mind to it and stays the course I think he’ll be all right. He’s hungry. If you ain’t hungry and you ain’t got a chip on your shoulder you’ll be diminished like a lot of the guys that come into the league. They say the NFL stands for Not For Long, and that’s true. You’ve got to be hungry.”

Penn, Zuttah and right guard Davin Joseph were experienced players that Daniels looked up to last year. But a 4-12 record and disappointing play from an overpaid and underachieving offensive line last year led to all three veterans being dismissed from Tampa Bay this offseason.

“It puts it in perspective real quick,” Daniels said. “As good as it may seem it can come to an end real quick. It’s hard to keep your spot in the NFL, and you’ve got to put good tape out there for your team and all of the other teams out there. But I want to stick around here. I love being a Buc.”

Daniels is aided by the fact that the Buccaneers have a new head coach, new scouts and a new offensive coordinator. It puts him an equal plane with experienced veterans that have to learn the new offense, too.

“That’s true,” Daniels said. “We have established veterans that have the experience on me, but it does level out the playing field for me a lot. We’ve got a lot of combinations of everything in there on offense with man and zone with the offensive coordinator coming from college and then implementing some pro style stuff. It fits what I do well.

“There is a lot of enthusiasm with the offense. [Offensive line coach George] Warhop is a very enthusiastic coach, so he really gets us going. He’s such a people person. He’ll talk to you, but then he’ll get on you when you need it. He expects you to be at your best and he’s getting us there. Even in practice, he wants the tempo amped up. Obviously there is always technique stuff you have to work on, but it’s mostly get out of your stance and get going. That’s a big thing Coach Warhop is teaching us – to get out of our stance and get running and finish your blocks.”

One of Daniels’ best traits is his ability to run and get to the linebackers and safeties in the run game.

“He’s very athletic,” Penn said of Daniels. “He’s athletic and he can move well. The center has to be able to reach the nose [tackle] and he’s very quick. He gets to the second level real well. He’s got good balance and good leverage on his pass pro. He’s learning. Some guys fight wanting to learn, but he wants to learn. That’s a good thing. He picks a lot of people’s brains and is trying to get better. He asks a lot of questions to guys that have done it.”

Daniels spent the 2013 season as Zuttah’s shadow. Having played tackle and guard at Rutgers, Zuttah also had to learn how to play center at the pro level and could relate to the challenge Daniels faced.

“I sat in the meeting rooms next to him,” Daniels said. “I’ve learned so much from him from a physical standpoint, but honestly, even more from a mental standpoint. That’s what helped me switch from being a tackle to a center. That’s a huge part of being a center. I had to learn that it’s not the physicality, it’s the mental side of the game and being smarter about the way you move and making the calls. Jeremy helped me tremendously.”

Zuttah saw the daily progress that kept Daniels on the Bucs’ practice squad last year.

“Jace has been getting better,” Zuttah said late last year. “Every time he takes the field he has that mentality that he has something he needs to work on and he keeps going with that. When he got here he didn’t play center in college at all, and that’s all he’s been doing for us. He’s been getting better and better every day. He asks a lot of questions and he’s learning how to prepare. He’s a guy that has the ability and he’s smart enough to handle being able to play multiple positions. I think I’ve done that pretty much my whole career. It would be hard for him not to learn from me.

“He’s a pretty big kid and Jace is pretty well put together. He moves well for his size. He’s pretty fluid. With him it’s just about learning his new position and getting comfortable at center. It takes a little time to adjust but I think he’s getting it.”

Entering his second season as a center, Daniels has also spent time cross-training at guard to increase his versatility. It was that type of versatility that kept reserve lineman Ted Larsen around Tampa Bay for several seasons.

“It’s not that I’m so comfortable playing center, it’s that I need to know both to be more versatile and be a swing guy to make it in this league,” Daniels said about playing some guard this spring. “I’ve bulked up a bit and gained some weight. I’m about 315. I want to be between 310-315. Coach Warhop loves big, athletic guys that can move, so that works well for me. I’m just trying to show him I can be that kind of guy for him.”

Now that he has the mental part down, Daniels is anxious to put the pads on and show his improvement from a year ago when the center position was so new to him.

“During the preseason I wish I could have done a little better,” Daniels said. “I was still mentally getting the transition down, but I love playing center now. I feel like a center now. Knowing that I’m not going to be in space anymore is the biggest difference. It forces to me think quicker and act faster. Playing center is really reacting, and I like it. Hopefully I can keep improving every day.

“Going against Akeem Spence every day made me a better player. His strength and his ability to play the run helps me, especially on my technique. It makes me really focus on other things. I can’t beat him on pure strength. I have to use the proper technique. With Gerald McCoy, he’s so fast that he makes you really develop your quick twitch muscles. I love going against those guys because they make me a better player.”

The Bucs have had their imported centers over the years from Jeff Christy and Jeff Faine to Dietrich-Smith. But the franchise has also had homegrown centers, too, such as Tony Mayberry, Todd Washington and Zuttah. Daniels has the physical ability and the work ethic to succeed as long as he continues to improve.

“Jace is a young guy that is hungry,” Dotson said. “He comes to work every day and does what he’s supposed to do. He came from a tough background in his life, but it gives him something to work towards. He’s hungry and he wants it. As long as you have that want, that determination and that hunger it will take you a long way in life like it has with me. He’s a hard worker. He has a lot of areas to get better in – we all do. But he works hard. You can see it in his game and the way he approaches practice. He wants it.”"

• 2 weeks later...

O'Shea said tonight that the coaching staff is very high on Jace and that he's a natural left tackle.

My early prediction is January is a surprise TC cut next season.

I'll say demotion maybe but cut outright? Doubt it.... Look how long it took us to find a decent tackle as is..