Paris Cotton moved to practice roster

Mr. Perfect

Cotton's time here reminds me of Poblah.  Looks great at first but doesn't produce when the lights come on.  Not convinced 100% he got the chances but Grigsby has been durable and produced enough to keep the job.

yeah well you can't judge a running back when the most he gets are 4 carries in a game.

I think Grigsby's blocking has improved immensely... I often watch him in the backfield because he really pissed me off at the beginning. I can tell you that that little scit last game where the commentators were talking about his blocking was accurate IMO

his receiving I'm fairly impressed with. He has legit hands at times, but it will take a while to erase some of his blunders from early in the year.

His running, I think is getting much better as well... I see him pumping his legs through contact, bouncing off guys and I think his vision is getting better as well... Noticed that severely lacking earlier this year...

I think he really just came in rusty from being in baseball for so long, now he's starting to get better.

Problem with Grigsby is that he runs with zero power (and I'm not talking about size, cause 170 lbs backs can run with power too), is extremely inconsistent, basically a big play back who gets less effective as he touches the ball more, 4 of the last 5 games he's had 10 carries or less.  He hasn't come close to 20 total touches since the game in Hamilton.

If we had a guy who could handle 20 carries a game and a roster spot for an extra RB, Grigsby would fit in well there, as a guy we are relying on he's a huge handicap on our offense.  It's pretty clear that the offensive coaches are feeling the same way as they are moving more and more away from Grigsby being featured in the game plan.  The lack of a consistent rushing attack is clearly the difference between the Bombers offense being 7th in the league or being in the top 3 offensive teams. 

Good point.  This might explain why the Bombers offencive production went through a mid-season slump for awhile, declining game after game.  During that period It seemed like every other play revolved around Grigsby, run or pass.  That was probably a reaction to Willy overusing  him as an outlet,  trying to preserve his health by using quick throws.  As the O-line has improved Willy is getting back to spreading the ball around like he was earlier in the season and the improved numbers reflect this.

Cotton's time here reminds me of Poblah.  Looks great at first but doesn't produce when the lights come on.  Not convinced 100% he got the chances but Grigsby has been durable and produced enough to keep the job.

yeah well you can't judge a running back when the most he gets are 4 carries in a game.

Thankfully the coaching staff gets to watch him every day in practise, so they don't have to flip a coin to make personnel decisions.

Cotton's time here reminds me of Poblah. Looks great at first but doesn't produce when the lights come on. Not convinced 100% he got the chances but Grigsby has been durable and produced enough to keep the job.

Thankfully the coaching staff gets to watch him every day in practise, so they don't have to flip a coin to make personnel decisions.

Good call... I doubt this decision was one made lightly seeing as how thin we are at RB..

I wasn't the biggest Grigsby fan but he's slowly winning me over. He's ran a lot tougher in the last couple of games. His pass blocking has improved tremendously, he's a threat as a pass catcher out of the back field, and him leading the league in yardage and touchdowns is a testament of Grigsby being a big part of our offense. I loved what I saw from Cotton in the pre season and maybe he didn't get enough touches when he saw the field but when he did get his touches he didn't do enough with the ball and in this game it's definitely what did you do for me lately. Got to capitalize on your chances in the CFL.

Cotton's time here reminds me of Poblah. Looks great at first but doesn't produce when the lights come on. Not convinced 100% he got the chances but Grigsby has been durable and produced enough to keep the job.

Good call... I doubt this decision was one made lightly seeing as how thin we are at RB..

It does seem like they are not very willing to make a move unless it's injury related though. This group of management and coaches has done a lot of good things thusfar but there are still areas that I think they need to prove more in. 

Sometimes can;t stand Winnipeg fans. Nothing is good enough.  We have the single best RB in the league this year in Grigsby, and people STILL aren't happy with him.  Our oline makes him look bad, but the fact remains he leads the league in numerous stat columns.

Our best RB since Charles.  The cuts baby, the cuts he makes!

I should hope he leads the league! He's played more games than any other running back. He leads the league in the same way he got the starting job in the first place, everyone else got hurt.

Grigsby is also our sole ball carrier... Most of the clubs are platooning their running backs

dmillerywg, on 11 Sept 2014 - 5:10 PM, said:

Does that mean Volny Gets a promotion ? I wonder if McGuffie can play RB Still ?  What about Stoudermire at RB ?

I been thinking the same thing.  Volny is a power guy who's shown the ability to drag defenders forward for some tough yards and should've been getting more carries over the last few years.  I think he should get at least 20 carries a game.

Mr. Perfect, on 12 Sept 2014 - 12:30 AM, said:

Unfortunately we'd lead the league in turnovers if Volny had 20 carries a game.

I know he's had a few fumble issues in the past, but I don't see why those couldn't be fixed.  I guess I'd just be willing to take the risk since he runs strict north and south stuff and sometimes even runs defenders over.

I find it rather amusing that so many people were saying last season and earlier this season that Ford wasn't any good and the only reason he won the rushing title was because other RBs had been injured. And now it's Grigsby's that isn't good and is only leading the rushing stats because of injuries.

Huh?  Cornish literally had 3x as many yards as Will Ford last season.

Meant Eastern All-Star, not rushing title... not enough caffeine today.  :wacko:

I agree with the point that Grigsby doesn't get any stronger as the game goes on, and unfortunately that should be a part of any starting backs' skill set. I do like that he protects the the ball so well and his blocking has improved immensely. Seems like he's taking the handoff and running straight at the hole now rather than making the 2-3 stutter steps behind the line that we saw in the first third of the season.

I'd like to see the Bombers with more total team rushing attempts during games. Whether it's Volny, Pontbriand, or some new guy getting a few carries here and there, a hard-running back would provide a little change of pace and not force the Oline into so many pass block situations. Grigsby has gotten better in his time here, but he (and the Bombers overall rushing game) aren't good enough to finish the season as the undisputed number one RB

Grigsby has been winning me over and I think eventually he'll make a believer out of other people too.

Let's consider this for a second - he is on pace to total 1577 yards per scrimmage. The only two guys who would have out totaled him last year would have been Cornish and Sheets. Not Gable. Not Harris.

And this guy is a rookie.

Also, consider this ... his average in the first half of the season per rushing carry was 4.2 yards. Nothing too impressive.

Since then? His last 5 games, including the 10 carry for 7 yard abomination, he has averaged 5.5 yards per carry.

He's improved by over a yard per carry. His blocking has improved ten fold. He has yet to turn the ball over this year. He's no longer dancing around in the backfield and getting caught for losses.

Grigsby is legit.

Ford is terrible, it's even more of a surprise when he breaks a tackle than grigsby.

Grigsby>Ford.  Ford works "ok" in support of Allen and Messam.  Really, I'd rather see Messam/Allen then Ford/Messam/Allen but it seems to be working.

Ford works well as a half time back. Someone to come in a change it up a bit. Do they ever use a formation that sees messam and ford in the backfield at the same time?

I think Grigsby is just starting to get his football legs back up under him self. He showed a bit more power over the past couple weeks. Got to remember he did not play football for a entire year and was playing a different sport not training to play football..

I honestly don't get the Grigsby hate.  He's solid for just starting out.

I think Grigsby is just starting to get his football legs back up under him self. He showed a bit more power over the past couple weeks. Got to remember he did not play football for a entire year and was playing a different sport not training to play football..

I honestly don't get the Grigsby hate.  He's solid for just starting out.

The Grigsby "hate" was that early in the year he was the most tentative running back you've ever seen. Not many people like running backs who play soft, but as Mike so aptly put it a bit further up this thread he's getting a lot better lately and playing more like he needed to. If he keeps that up no one is going to complain because that's all we wanted. Run harder, commit to hitting a hole and pick up positive yards rather than getting stopped for losses. 

It's funny how some fans completely disregarded goalie's post about Andrew Harris' stat line, who we'd all agree is a good running back, and keep on grigsby.

Grigsby's one back going all game, with DC's focusing in on the tendencies of himself, the o-line and our OC, and playing behind a fairly weak o-line. The guy has ups and downs, like everyone except Cornish lol, but he is doing something with little to work with. Of course his better games coincide with better o-line work basically.