Game Day Thread - Montreal @ Winnipeg - 7:30pm

TrueBlue

good god, that first half was a toddler slap-fight.  And those terrible pigeon-poop uniforms! Watching on TV I couldn't even identify who got straight-armed by Sutton in the 3rd.

For a long time, the best looking thing on the field was J-Crompt's stache.  Crompton looks like he got traded to the Als from 1976.

good god, that first half was a toddler slap-fight.  And those terrible pigeon-poop uniforms! We couldn't even identify who got straight-armed by Sutton in the 3rd.

For a long time, the best looking thing on the field was J-Crompt's stache.  Crompton looks like he got traded to the Als from 1976.

LOL - good one. As I mentioned in another thread - Crompton is the real deal. He was always the best looking (as in arm) QB here in Edmonton last year. He's from a first rate Division one University, has size, can scramble, he just needs some polishing and he'll be a gooder. Montreal is set now. 

As for us - is it me, or is the honeymoon with Drew Willy ending? Willy has not looked all that good last few weeks, including this week. Some very bad overthrows, missing wide open receivers and/or throwing the ball in a bad spot. Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm not jumping off his bandwagon, it's just that he's human afterall. He's same age as Crompton and is definitely ahead of him in the development stage but will be interesting to see where these two are when they are 30 (in their career progression that is). 

good god, that first half was a toddler slap-fight.  And those terrible pigeon-poop uniforms! We couldn't even identify who got straight-armed by Sutton in the 3rd.

LOL - good one. As I mentioned in another thread - Crompton is the real deal. He was always the best looking (as in arm) QB here in Edmonton last year. He's from a first rate Division one University, has size, can scramble, he just needs some polishing and he'll be a gooder. Montreal is set now. 

As for us - is it me, or is the honeymoon with Drew Willy ending? Willy has not looked all that good last few weeks, including this week. Some very bad overthrows, missing wide open receivers and/or throwing the ball in a bad spot. Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm not jumping off his bandwagon, it's just that he's human afterall. He's same age as Crompton and is definitely ahead of him in the development stage but will be interesting to see where these two are when they are 30 (in their career progression that is). 

Did you notice how when we actually were able to run the ball he looked better passing? He's not a guy who at this point can do everything with his arm, there's too many other issues going on for him to do everything, but when he's got support he is fine. Bellefeiulle needs to be more creative with the running game, but at least O'Shea finally told Grigsby to run hard and not pussyfoot around with the side ways running or stopping before hits the hole. 

I don't think it's Drew Willy so much as the circumstances he's being forced to operate under.

As I said on Twitter during the game, the playcalling needing variety. In nearly every single one of our two and outs, we went either pass-pass or run-run and the offensive sets we used to do it were very telling as far as what we were going to do. If I can spot tendencies accurately, don't you think a defensive coordinator can?

Once we went with a variety of calls and sets, we got the Montreal D on their heels and Willy had the time to stretch the field and operate how he likes to.

Variety opens up the run game opens up the passing game.

What I really like about Willy - when he's not on fire, he is able to recognize it and step into more of a game manager role. He doesn't compound his mistakes.

I didn't think there was a lot of pressure on Willy tonight.  Certainly no where near as much as the last time they played the Als. A couple of drops by the receivers on low balls which can be hard to catch.  We had about 3 first downs going into the 4th quarter.  At least he protected the ball this week.

Willy's a first year starter.  Every game's not going to be a gem.

What was the final turnover number? Did we win another game after losing the TO battle...

Did you not watch the game? Turnovers were probably 4-2 in favor of the bombers.

Did you? We had at least three turnovers. 

I was just thinking I forgot about the turnover on the fake punt

The playcalls again were pretty vanilla - especially in the red zone.   Receivers had a tough time getting open.  Run game stank for 50 minutes.  Considering we had 10 bloody days to prepare for this one....3 first downs in 3 quarters?   Awful.

D and special teams won the game

Pretty much a snoozefest until the last 2 mins of the 4th quarter. Crowd wasn't all that loud from where I was sitting. Didn't see the hold on the pick 6 in the last few seconds either, not that it mattered. If we lack offense against sask like we did for most of the game, we're probably hooped.