Drew (Joe Montana) Willy

coach17

Hard to believe Toronto didn't want him - Would they ever like to have him now, especially considering their injuries.

Wasn't he a free agent?  I believe he is the only player that O'Shea probably recruited himself.

I believe we made him an offer that also included getting offensive snaps... where as Tor planned to just use him on teams... or maybe I just made that up in my head to justify my argument  :wacko:

Hard to believe Toronto didn't want him - Would they ever like to have him now, especially considering their injuries.

Wasn't he a free agent?  I believe he is the only player that O'Shea probably recruited himself.

He was signed as a free agent yes, but was with Toronto mostly as a special teamer previously.

http://bluebombers.com/roster/show/id/4741

Best thing about JFG stepping up is when Watson comes back he does not have to play all the snaps.

I don't see any reason whatsoever to take JFG out for Watson at this point. 

Watson is still a better player than JFG. Moore and Watson will be big upgrades to the receiving core once they are both healthy.  Kohlert is also a steady NI receiver, but if anyone may be relegated to the 3rd NI receiver it would be him IMO.  I know I'm going to take flack because Kohlert is essentially the new Stoddard (actually, more skilled than Stoddard), but all of our receivers catch the ball extremely well.

Best thing about JFG stepping up is when Watson comes back he does not have to play all the snaps.

I don't see any reason whatsoever to take JFG out for Watson at this point. 

Watson is still a better player than JFG. Moore and Watson will be big upgrades to the receiving core once they are both healthy.  Kohlert is also a steady NI receiver, but if anyone may be relegated to the 3rd NI receiver it would be him IMO.  I know I'm going to take flack because Kohlert is essentially the new Stoddard (actually, more skilled than Stoddard), but all of our receivers catch the ball extremely well.

Not denying the talent of Watson, but he might be better suited to the role of rotational third NI receiver with his injury issues. Regardless, its a pretty good problem to have. Gone are the days of us starting Brock Ralph and Aaron Hargreaves.

Speaking of honourable mention... how about that catch by JFG on the 3 with seconds left in the game.... to hang on to the ball while getting blasted by the safety was incredible.... huge atonement for the fumble earlier... 

He got up & the safety didn't for a few seconds... He was seeing stars. That was funny. Guy thought he'd blast JFG & instead he got blasted.

Speaking of not kidding ourselves: if and when Watson comes back we could very well have someone else injured.  It just gives us one more option with ratio.

We have the ability to start 3 Americans on the OL, we have Canadians who can play effectively in the secondary, and we have three Canadian receivers who are capable of being every down players.

The point I was trying to make is you have the ability now to limit his snaps and take some stress of his body. Does not have be that #1 Canadian receiver you can rotate in and out Kohlert JFG and Watson. Kohlert has also really improved his blocking makes a lot of down field blocks.

The point I was trying to make is you have the ability now to limit his snaps and take some stress of his body. Does not have be that #1 Canadian receiver you can rotate in and out Kohlert JFG and Watson. Kohlert has also really improved his blocking makes a lot of down field blocks.

is that worth it though? I don't think Watson gets hurt because of the wear and tear on his body so much as sometimes he just breaks. Limiting his reps likely doesn't do much to keep him healthier and he is flat out better than all our other NI receivers so I think you play him until he's hurt and then at least we know we have another decent options coming in.

even when the offence was sputtering, when we got the ball back in 1:40 there's something about Drew Willy that made me go "OK, we got this". It's a feeling I haven't had as a Bomber fan in a loooooong time. Usually I'd just get the opposite when we were up by 5 or 6 with a couple of minutes to go against a Ricky Ray or Anthony Calvillo. It's nice.

And JFG. Holy hell. What a grab. There's some surprises on this team that have me really excited.

Been a while I have seen a young QB so comfortable in 3 min situations. I think he has gotten points in 5 of 6 game inside 3 mins in the first half and in BC would have if not for the bad sneak. And the 3 games where he need to get points in the final 3 min has done it. Would be interesting to see his QB rating in those pressure situations.