Kyle Walters Greatest Challenge

Yeah, I know most of you are still inhaling the arrogance gas from a doormat team suddenly going 3-0 and finding itself ensconced in first place. Me, I'm still talking football and not insulting any other team's fanbase.

Nope, not other team's fan bases. Just this team's. Typical crap from you, no matter how much you try and insulate it with football discussion.

Yea I almost swore this was OB circa 2010 again.. Had a déjà vu all over again..

Is Nate even a Bomber fan? All I hear is bitter resentment in all his posts.

He swears up and down he love the bombers but has hated every regime since lord Lyle and is often heard lamenting how poor the team is elsewhere...

Funny thing is, this is actually... Almost tame for him..

No to every trade thing you made in your post.

No to every thing suggested for Walters. 

No thing in particular you are pushing for, will work.

Notice how when the words no and thing come closer together, they describe more and more about what makes sense in your posts?

I agree with the premise that protecting Willy from injury will determine the Bombers success this year but disagree with the method suggested.  Of course improving the O-Line personnel is critical to this effort but really not enough.  I believe a structural shift must occur in positional play to prevent blitz packages from continuously threatening Willy's health.  As Montreal has just demonstrated this is the most effective way to rattle his or any other QB's cage.  Nothing new under the sun.

I know I keep harping on this but I don't see any better way to protect Willy other than reverting to a double TE set and a seriously good blocking back.  I think these are the positions that Walters should fill with the best talent he can acquire.  As Dan Knapp was a TE once upon a time it would be wonderful to keep him around in this role as long as we can replace his current tackle position with a Canuck.  Fitzgerald has also been playing TE on occasion so maybe he could qualify as the other TE. 

The Bombers have been using tight ends more than anyone but Ottawa, but one of Ottawa's TE's is basically a slotback, and they use them both regularly as receivers.  The downside with bringing in tight ends in the pass game is that you are encouraging teams to send more guys at your QB, particularly when they are primarily blockers and not really a threat to catch a pass and do some damage (like if we used Knapp there), while giving your quarterback fewer guys in the route, making it easier for a defense to force the QB to hold the ball longer.

The whole idea of the double TE set is to have more bodies to pass block and to give Willy more time to find the open receiver.  If the opponent continues to send the house this will expose them to one on one match ups against Moore, Kelly and Denmark. The real motivation is ultimately to discourage them from blitzing and to play a more conservative game thus providing dear Willy with better protection.

I agree that both TE's would need to be able to slip off the line whenever there was no extra blocking required and be able to catch the ball with confidence.  An added benefit of two TE set is that it also improves blocking for the ground game which is another way to nullify the pass rush.

Speaking of TE's  that can catch and block, do you think Brian Jack would be available for a tryout? :D

I agree with the premise that protecting Willy from injury will determine the Bombers success this year but disagree with the method suggested.  Of course improving the O-Line personnel is critical to this effort but really not enough.  I believe a structural shift must occur in positional play to prevent blitz packages from continuously threatening Willy's health.  As Montreal has just demonstrated this is the most effective way to rattle his or any other QB's cage.  Nothing new under the sun.

I know I keep harping on this but I don't see any better way to protect Willy other than reverting to a double TE set and a seriously good blocking back.  I think these are the positions that Walters should fill with the best talent he can acquire.  As Dan Knapp was a TE once upon a time it would be wonderful to keep him around in this role as long as we can replace his current tackle position with a Canuck.  Fitzgerald has also been playing TE on occasion so maybe he could qualify as the other TE. 

The Bombers have been using tight ends more than anyone but Ottawa, but one of Ottawa's TE's is basically a slotback, and they use them both regularly as receivers.  The downside with bringing in tight ends in the pass game is that you are encouraging teams to send more guys at your QB, particularly when they are primarily blockers and not really a threat to catch a pass and do some damage (like if we used Knapp there), while giving your quarterback fewer guys in the route, making it easier for a defense to force the QB to hold the ball longer.

The whole idea of the double TE set is to have more bodies to pass block and to give Willy more time to find the open receiver.  If the opponent continues to send the house this will expose them to one on one match ups against Moore, Kelly and Denmark. The real motivation is ultimately to discourage them from blitzing and to play a more conservative game thus providing dear Willy with better protection.

I agree that both TE's would need to be able to slip off the line whenever there was no extra blocking required and be able to catch the ball with confidence.  An added benefit of two TE set is that it also improves blocking for the ground game which is another way to nullify the pass rush.

Speaking of TE's  that can catch and block, do you think Brian Jack would be available for a tryout? :D

Just rewatched the game... Montreal just loaded the box with even more guys when we played double TEs.  We also seem to run up the middle in double TE formations so it doesn't seem to help the run game that much...

Would be great to see an out pass to Pontbriand but... I didn't think our double TEs worked last year and they don't seem to be doing much this year.  MB loves them though...

I don't get the trade proposals

Chronically injured watson and a 3rd rd pick for a starting canadian oline? You serious? Why the hell would sask make that trade? Seriously, name one reason, one legit reason sask wouldn't hang up the phone immediately? 

So ok lets say Taman is drunk that day and does make that trade and then next game... JFG and Kohlert get hurt... who starts the week after? Carter and Taylor Renaud? 

Like it or not, our lack of depth means we have to start 2 canadian receivers, this fantasy world of starting 4 canadians on the oline isn't happening...

I really don't get the trade proposals in here at all.. 

Realistically? for Watson who is always injured? you'd probably guy future considerations or maybe a late round pick cuz he's canadian, you aint getting a starting canadian olineman, hell, if there was a CFL video game and you tried that trade, it probably wouldn't even let it happen cuz its just so unrealistic it's crazy.

How long do the Bombers hang on to Corey Watson now that Julian Feoli-Gudino is making a name for himself? I wouldn't want to take him out of the lineup now if Watson was healthy enough to come back to play. The guy is making making big plays for us. We want players like that on the field not standing on the sidelines.

How long do the Bombers hang on to Corey Watson now that Julian Feoli-Gudino is making a name for himself? I wouldn't want to take him out of the lineup now if Watson was healthy enough to come back to play. The guy is making making big plays for us. We want players like that on the field not standing on the sidelines.

Hell I would take out Denmark and roll with 3 Canadian receivers. We are already using Kohlert and JFG well enough, the question is can Watson be a bigger impact than Denmark and I say yes he can.

Hell I would take out Denmark and roll with 3 Canadian receivers. We are already using Kohlert and JFG well enough, the question is can Watson be a bigger impact than Denmark and I say yes he can.

Watson has the heart, toughness and the talent, but is just too brittle for this game. JFG appears to have all of Watson's assets, plus a bit of extra size, greater durability and, most importantly, awesome hair.

I would give Watson the rest of the year at least, no harm in that. Bombers need to get a full understanding of his injuries and decide if they're chronic.  Watson can still be a big impact player so it would be nice to have him around for later in the season if the Bombers still have playoff hopes.  Till then he can rotate in with JFG to preserve his body as much as possible.  With Watson on the shelf JFG will pick up playing experience and be all the more ready to assume the position next year. 

Trade Watson then sign Etienne. Problem solved.

Honestly, not a terrible suggestion.  Jay Detain is at least durable enough to backup JFG and Kohlert.

I don't think I'm delusional enough to think we'd get Watman for Watson and a 3rd... I wouldn't deal my 6th OL for a chronic injury risk and a long shot (especially when I'm starting 4 NI's on the OL), but if Taman wants to do it, I wouldn't think twice about pulling that trigger.

Watson backing up Getzlaf, he'd never see the field.  And Sask doesn't have the NI depth at WR to start him.

The real problem is there isn't a whole lot we can do to make an impact today.... if this Billy Peach kid is as good as some people seem to think he is, a trade would certainly be a possibility.... but the fact that it hasn't happened yet leads me to believe either Huff is not interested in trading him, Peach is not interested in leaving Cgy, or maybe he's just not  quality starter yet...

The real problem is there isn't a whole lot we can do to make an impact today.... if this Billy Peach kid is as good as some people seem to think he is, a trade would certainly be a possibility.... but the fact that it hasn't happened yet leads me to believe either Huff is not interested in trading him, Peach is not interested in leaving Cgy, or maybe he's just not  quality starter yet...

I'm not sure anyone is saying that he's that great, just that he's one of a very few National OL out there on a P/R with game experience.

I'm belongs to those who wants to pick Peach from Cgy's PR. I realized that if Walters and Co, believes that he can be an upgrade for us they should have done that already.

It may still happen, who knows. But at this point, I be more interested in looking from other direction.