Kyle Walters Greatest Challenge

Yeah, I know most of you are still inhaling the arrogance gas from a doormat team suddenly going 3-0 and finding itself ensconced in first place. Me, I'm still talking football and not insulting any other team's fanbase.

Walters must simply do one thing and he must do it quickly. He must do anything to acquire sufficient players to protect his new best asset - Dr. Drew Willy.

Dr. Drew is made of stern stuff. He's taking a beating, he's still getting up and he's still ticking. BUT FOR HOW LONG?

I don't care if we've got to trade some quality team assets for another guy to help protect our #1 asset.

Be it Peter Dyakowski from Hamllton (currently injured), bringing back the irrepresible Obby Khan for another kick at the cat or whatever. PROTECT FRIGGIN' WILLY.

Trade out our #2 draft pick for next season. Trade Cory Watson. Trade Will Ford and Kuale. Trade neg. rights to Andy in Green Bay. 

If we keep trotting out our 3 inferior import OLs plus Morley we're gonna do ourselves a huge injustice. We're gonna get D. Willy hurt. What then my friends. 

Get it done Kyle. Get it done now sir!

I'd give Hamilton Watson and a 3rd rd. draft pick for Dyakowski.

Does Obby Khan (33) have any gas left in his tank?

What about Hammy's all-star centre that retired suddenly after being unprotected in the sub-draft?

Hufnagel is also shielding at least one guy on one of Calgary's "lists"

Time is precious. Time to cut bait with Whipper Watson and try to solve a critical problem area.

What about Hammy's all-star centre that retired suddenly after being unprotected in the sub-draft?

Time is precious. Time to cut bait with Whipper Watson and try to solve a critical problem area.

I'm not sure if they'll give up Dyakowski plus I'm sure he will always goes back to Ham comes FA.

I'll exchange Watson for either Wojt (or Rice plus a late rounder from them. :D )

But Watson + 3rd for Corey Watman from Riders, I'll do it.

I agree with the premise that protecting Willy from injury will determine the Bombers success this year but disagree with the method suggested.  Of course improving the O-Line personnel is critical to this effort but really not enough.  I believe a structural shift must occur in positional play to prevent blitz packages from continuously threatening Willy's health.  As Montreal has just demonstrated this is the most effective way to rattle his or any other QB's cage.  Nothing new under the sun.

I know I keep harping on this but I don't see any better way to protect Willy other than reverting to a double TE set and a seriously good blocking back.  I think these are the positions that Walters should fill with the best talent he can acquire.  As Dan Knapp was a TE once upon a time it would be wonderful to keep him around in this role as long as we can replace his current tackle position with a Canuck.  Fitzgerald has also been playing TE on occasion so maybe he could qualify as the other TE. 

I think under Walter's rule the days of trading away Cdn. draft picks will be gone like the wild goose in winter.

I'm not sure if they'll give up Dyakowski plus I'm sure he will always goes back to Ham comes FA.

I'll exchange Watson for either Wojt (or Rice plus a late rounder from them. :D )

But Watson + 3rd for Corey Watman from Riders, I'll do it.

Landon Rice isn't a CFL quality OL.  I wouldn't trade a conditional 7th round pick for him, let alone a legitimate game-changing non-import receiver.  In his dreams Rice is not even as good as Paul Swiston.

Everyone just seems to look down other rosters and see "National" next to a OL's name and assume that guy is better than what we've got or worth adding to what we've got.  Reality is our line is middle of the pack, we're somewhere between Calgary-Saskatchewan-Toronto and BC-Hamilton-Edmonton on the scale of reasonably good to terrible.  Teams aren't going to be trading starting quality, even guys who can reasonably fill in, NI OL this year with the NI talent pie having another slice carved out of it.  There are no surplus players.

Look at Hamilton's OL in their first two games without Dyakowski?  Why on earth would they deal him or Wojt?  Why on earth would we trade anything for a guy like Rice?

We knew Montreal would stack the line, yet a quick passing game was not used to combat it.  The Als stack the line, we have just the 5 or 6 guys blocking and Willy is looking 20 - 30 yards down field.

The result was...predictable...

They ran a quick game.  A lot of it against the zone blitz depends on receivers breaking tackles or making guys miss, sometimes they did and it was a first down, sometimes they didn't and it was a 3 yard gain.  Sometimes in that zone blitz they sit in the flats and short zones behind the blitz and wait for those throws.  I thought Willy did a good job of not making assumptions.  Sometimes that led to incompletions and 2 and outs, but no turnovers from him, and really only a couple balls that the Als had a chance at. 

IMO we used the quick passing game when we needed it. Our last drive of the first half was almost exclusively quick hitters to combat the blitz. You can't call a quick passing game from start to finish or else sooner or later you're going to have a pick six going the other way. What was missing I think were draw plays and delays in the running game to suck in rushers then giving the ball to Grigsby. Some may also think that we should have used more screens, and while that can be good at combating an over aggressive pass rush, considering how Neufeld and Howard played, I'm not sure I would have had the confidence to call those types of plays. Montreal's style of defence significantly limits your options as a play caller. People need to realize this.

I agree with the premise that protecting Willy from injury will determine the Bombers success this year but disagree with the method suggested.  Of course improving the O-Line personnel is critical to this effort but really not enough.  I believe a structural shift must occur in positional play to prevent blitz packages from continuously threatening Willy's health.  As Montreal has just demonstrated this is the most effective way to rattle his or any other QB's cage.  Nothing new under the sun.

I know I keep harping on this but I don't see any better way to protect Willy other than reverting to a double TE set and a seriously good blocking back.  I think these are the positions that Walters should fill with the best talent he can acquire.  As Dan Knapp was a TE once upon a time it would be wonderful to keep him around in this role as long as we can replace his current tackle position with a Canuck.  Fitzgerald has also been playing TE on occasion so maybe he could qualify as the other TE. 

The Bombers have been using tight ends more than anyone but Ottawa, but one of Ottawa's TE's is basically a slotback, and they use them both regularly as receivers.  The downside with bringing in tight ends in the pass game is that you are encouraging teams to send more guys at your QB, particularly when they are primarily blockers and not really a threat to catch a pass and do some damage (like if we used Knapp there), while giving your quarterback fewer guys in the route, making it easier for a defense to force the QB to hold the ball longer.

Yes they did. I guess what should say is the quick game needs to function better.

I watched parts of the game again today...on several plays quick passes to the flats when the Als brought the house would've gained good yardage. There was literally no one out there. 

We didn't make them pay for the blitz often enough - until we do teams will be pinning their ears back.

The problem was at times Willy literally had less than 3 seconds to get rid of the football & he was looking 25 yards downfield. Our OL couldn't give him the kind of protection needed for those longer developing plays. Screens, draws, hitches, sits, slants, look ins all would have worked. You know what  frustrates an aggressive front 4 like Edmonton's? When they can't get to the qb because the pass is gone so quickly. 

Yeah, I know most of you are still inhaling the arrogance gas from a doormat team suddenly going 3-0 and finding itself ensconced in first place. Me, I'm still talking football and not insulting any other team's fanbase.

Walters must simply do one thing and he must do it quickly. He must do anything to acquire sufficient players to protect his new best asset - Dr. Drew Willy.

Dr. Drew is made of stern stuff. He's taking a beating, he's still getting up and he's still ticking. BUT FOR HOW LONG?

I don't care if we've got to trade some quality team assets for another guy to help protect our #1 asset.

Be it Peter Dyakowski from Hamllton (currently injured), bringing back the irrepresible Obby Khan for another kick at the cat or whatever. PROTECT FRIGGIN' WILLY.

Trade out our #2 draft pick for next season. Trade Cory Watson. Trade Will Ford and Kuale. Trade neg. rights to Andy in Green Bay. 

If we keep trotting out our 3 inferior import OLs plus Morley we're gonna do ourselves a huge injustice. We're gonna get D. Willy hurt. What then my friends. 

Get it done Kyle. Get it done now sir!

Inhaling the arrogance gas?  Please spare me the ole football purist routine.....plenty of us are aware of your ongoing agenda over at RF.....

Khan?  Nice guy but he didn't have any gas in the tank...the LAST go round....

Nope, not other team's fan bases. Just this team's. Typical crap from you, no matter how much you try and insulate it with football discussion.

Certain entertainment value.....particularly these days....

:lol:

Certain entertainment value.....particularly these days....

:lol:

At one time, over 10 years ago it actually wasn't a bad site. Most members were pretty decent. Then the idiots & pack mentality took over & started with the personal attacks & threats. I haven't made a single post on that god forsaken site in something like 10 years. Can't be bothered. If it was the last CFL site in existence, I'd never go there again.