Bombers Hire Additional Staff

Jpan85

They have added guest coach Dave Jackson to the staff as defensive quality control coach. Jackson had been defensive coordinator for the Regina Thunder.

The @Wpg_BlueBombers have hired @ReginaThunder D-coordinator Dave Jackson to be their defensive quality coordinator #CFL #PFC @sportscage

— Phil Andrews (@PhilAndrewsCKRM)

June 20, 2014

HC- Mike O'Shea

OC- Marcel Bellefeuille

WR- Markus Howell

RB- Buck Pierce

OL- Bob Wylie

OL- Paul Charbonneau

QB- Gene Dahlquist

DC- Gary Etcheverry

DL- Mike Scheper

LB- Cory McDiarmid

DB- Nelson Martin

DQC- Dave Jackson

ST- Pat Tracey

13-man staff.  Quite a turnaround from years past.

Here's my fearless forecast... If Etch D stumble out of the gates...

O'shea part ways with Etch mid-season...

...promote Tracey from ST Coordinator to Def Coordinator

...promote Dave Jackson to ST Coordinator

...or O'shea handles ST himself.

I think he'll last the season.  They pushed all the chips into the middle of the table with that scheme, in terms of the players they've recruited and the positional coaches, Martin, McDiarmid and Scheper are Etcheverry's coaching posse.  Now that I think for a second, Jackson might be one of Etcheverry's guys too.

I think he'll last the season.  They pushed all the chips into the middle of the table with that scheme, in terms of the players they've recruited and the positional coaches, Martin, McDiarmid and Scheper are Etcheverry's coaching posse.  Now that I think for a second, Jackson might be one of Etcheverry's guys too.

Etch was head coach at ottawa, was jackson a member of his staff at that time? 

Great, now we have a junior football coach coaching professional football players. Who's next, they hire the head coach of Churchill High School?  I envisioned a staff when Walters hired O'Shea that would encompass a lot more experience than this. And if I get slammed for having this opinion, so be it. I'm tired of all the losing. Hiring someone like Dave Jackson doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that this is the right staff to get things back on the winning track. At least we know some Bomber traditions are alive & well. He probably came cheap. 

Just imagine Bud Grant had two coaches--- John Michels --- Joe Zaleski.... Times have changed.lol.

Zaleski ran the Wing T offense with probably about 30 or 40 plays. Michaels defense played man coverage exclusively. Zone defenses didn't come into play until the mid 60's. So, you could get by with 2 coaches back then. 

Great, now we have a junior football coach coaching professional football players. Who's next, they hire the head coach of Churchill High School? I envisioned a staff when Walters hired O'Shea that would encompass a lot more experience than this. And if I get slammed for having this opinion, so be it. I'm tired of all the losing. Hiring someone like Dave Jackson doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that this is the right staff to get things back on the winning track. At least we know some Bomber traditions are alive & well. He probably came cheap.

Good to see you did your research.

Great, now we have a junior football coach coaching professional football players. Who's next, they hire the head coach of Churchill High School?  I envisioned a staff when Walters hired O'Shea that would encompass a lot more experience than this. And if I get slammed for having this opinion, so be it. I'm tired of all the losing. Hiring someone like Dave Jackson doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that this is the right staff to get things back on the winning track. At least we know some Bomber traditions are alive & well. He probably came cheap. 

Sorry iso, I have to call you on this one.

1) First, quality control coach is about one step above water boy in the grand scheme of things.  Its just another set of eyes on the game film, and some of their job is to collect and sort it (from what I've heard, maybe this won't hold true for the Bombers).

2) You would like the staff to "encompass a lot more experience" but both our coordinators have been in the CFL for over a decade (with brief stints out).

3) This hire isn't meant to 'inspire a lot of confidence.'  Its a quality control coach.

4) Re: cheap. The Bombers now have added a ton more coaches than last year (hell, almost double) which would indicate that they are spending quite a bit more in the coaching department in previous seasons.  But yes, I am assuming a quality control coach came cheap, because its a low, entry-level coaching position...

I'm not sure why you have such an issue with this.  It is obvious this isn't a position they planned on having for the coaching staff to start the season.   They liked what the new guy brought as a guest coach and made the budget work to hire him full time.

The way I see it, that is the exact opposite that you are suggesting.   They aren't cheaping out, they made room in the budget to bring in someone they liked.