Bombers Hire Additional Staff

Jpan85

Except at the coordinator positions we have a plethora of experience. This isn't like bringing in Crowton to run the offense.

And while I will admit I've never been on a professional coaching staff, the most successful teams that I've been on in my professional career are those that mix experience with youth and "inexperience". Those younger people often have the ability to question the status quo because they have never been there before. They bring a unique perspective to the team.

Were the organizations you were with under the gun to be the best in their field NOW or you'd all be fired in 6 months? If they were,probably no one would lack experience because you'd have to trust the rookie would do his/her job without long term effect to yours. Pro sports is a whole other animal from business. It's not what you did for me yesterday. It's what will you do for me today & more importantly tomorrow. 

It was a pilot contract where our early successes led to the client paying $40M+ to replace all of their computer systems.  If we didn't succeed early on, we wouldn't have got the subsequent work.   I have also had the opportunity to run and manage my own teams at work and I will take someone who has the drive and the smarts with no experience over someone who is average to mediocre with experience every day of the week and twice on Sunday.   They got to test drive this guy out and they liked what they saw so they made a position to keep him.  That is good management.  Identifying talent and finding a way to keep it.   If they wouldn't have hired him, there would be no one in this position, so there is really nothing lost here.

I think you can get away with it on a veteran team like Calgary where the head coach is absolutely rock solid . But on a fragile team like Winnipeg where the organization from top to bottom is full of inexperienced people at their positions, has been in a state of disorganized flux for a long time &  desperately needs to turn things around, having a third of the staff being  inexperienced coaches is a huge gamble.

and when you've fired as many coaches as the bombers have recently experienced rock solid coaches don't want to go through that ****. Let's face it the last decade this team has been dragged through all kinds of **** and it's going to take time to repair the reputation. 

I think you can get away with it on a veteran team like Calgary where the head coach is absolutely rock solid . But on a fragile team like Winnipeg where the organization from top to bottom is full of inexperienced people at their positions, has been in a state of disorganized flux for a long time &  desperately needs to turn things around, having a third of the staff being  inexperienced coaches is a huge gamble.

and when you've fired as many coaches as the bombers have recently experienced rock solid coaches don't want to go through that ****. Let's face it the last decade this team has been dragged through all kinds of **** and it's going to take time to repair the reputation. 

I absolutely agree Look at the coaches & managers we've hired. Most first time head coaches & managers with no experience at their positions. BC went out & got Buono. Stamps brought in Hufnagel who worked under Buono in Calgary. Riders brought in (dare I say it) Brendan Taman. Argos hired Stamps GM & Vice President of Player Personnel Jim Barker. Hamilton hired Kent Austin who won a Grey Cup in Saskatchewan. 

If you want to ***** at something then use this to ***** about.  Hiring Miller with no experience running a football club, Walters with no GM experience and O'Shea with no Head Coach experience.  If the current incarnation of the Blue Bomber front office fails it will 100% be because of these guys not some nobody they hired as a quality control coach.   Hiring someone with experience at that position, who isn't a decision maker, will have little to no impact.   

Anyway, other than a couple of minor digs at me (which I expected from the usual suspects), great discussion. This place can generate a lot of great football talk when it wants to. 

I don't remember anyone taking digs at you, only what you posted.  There is a difference.   Except for maybe one poster (who has a track record at taking digs at anyone who disagrees with him) but you managed to get a dig back, so it is all fair.

Except at the coordinator positions we have a plethora of experience. This isn't like bringing in Crowton to run the offense.

And while I will admit I've never been on a professional coaching staff, the most successful teams that I've been on in my professional career are those that mix experience with youth and "inexperience". Those younger people often have the ability to question the status quo because they have never been there before. They bring a unique perspective to the team.

Were the organizations you were with under the gun to be the best in their field NOW or you'd all be fired in 6 months? If they were,probably no one would lack experience because you'd have to trust the rookie would do his/her job without long term effect to yours. Pro sports is a whole other animal from business. It's not what you did for me yesterday. It's what will you do for me today & more importantly tomorrow. 

It was a pilot contract where our early successes led to the client paying $40M+ to replace all of their computer systems.  If we didn't succeed early on, we wouldn't have got the subsequent work.   I have also had the opportunity to run and manage my own teams at work and I will take someone who has the drive and the smarts with no experience over someone who is average to mediocre with experience every day of the week and twice on Sunday.   They got to test drive this guy out and they liked what they saw so they made a position to keep him.  That is good management.  Identifying talent and finding a way to keep it.   If they wouldn't have hired him, there would be no one in this position, so there is really nothing lost here.

I absolutely agree Look at the coaches & managers we've hired. Most first time head coaches & managers with no experience at their positions. BC went out & got Buono. Stamps brought in Hufnagel who worked under Buono in Calgary. Riders brought in (dare I say it) Brendan Taman. Argos hired Stamps GM & Vice President of Player Personnel Jim Barker. Hamilton hired Kent Austin who won a Grey Cup in Saskatchewan. 

If you want to ***** at something then use this to ***** about.  Hiring Miller with no experience running a football club, Walters with no GM experience and O'Shea with no Head Coach experience.  If the current incarnation of the Blue Bomber front office fails it will 100% be because of these guys not some nobody they hired as a quality control coach.   Hiring someone with experience at that position, who isn't a decision maker, will have little to no impact.   

Anyway, other than a couple of minor digs at me (which I expected from the usual suspects), great discussion. This place can generate a lot of great football talk when it wants to. 

I don't remember anyone taking digs at you, only what you posted.  There is a difference.   Except for maybe one poster (who has a track record at taking digs at anyone who disagrees with him) but you managed to get a dig back, so it is all fair.

Yes, all is fair in love & war. Anyone know what that means? ;)

I just don't see how anyone can spin this as a bad move... It's an entry level position that they created simply because they liked the guy as a guest coach. That to me seems like a smart way to do things. Hey we like what this guy is doing, let's create a spot for him on the staff and see if he grows into more than just a quality control coach.

HC- Mike O'Shea

OC- Marcel Bellefeuille

WR- Markus Howell

RB- Buck Pierce

OL- Bob Wylie

OL- Paul Charbonneau

QB- Gene Dahlquist

DC- Gary Etcheverry

DL- Mike Scheper

LB- Cory McDiarmid

DB- Nelson Martin

DQC- Dave Jackson

ST- Pat Tracey

13-man staff.  Quite a turnaround from years past.

HC Bud Grant

AC Joe Zaleski

AC Johnny Micheal

Yeah! Things are different

I coached on a number of different football teams at different levels. Personally, I just don't know how Grant & his staff did it. These 2 coaches were responsible for all positions on offense & defense plus coaching all the different positions on their side of the ball. Hey, don't forget special teams too, which is a huge job just by itself. As far as running the offense & defense, putting together offensive & defensive playbooks & calling the plays, I know Grant's offense probably had 40 plays so it would have been fairly easy to install, Michaels defense was primarily man coverage back in those days as zone defenses were just getting started so defenses were nowhere near as complicated as they are now. I remember when a third coach was added in the early 70's when Jim Spavital was hired to replaceJoe Zaleski & it was a big deal. 

Hey, just want to say that my comments about Jackson were wrong. I had time to consider the arguments here & what was said & you guys convinced me my position was wrong. So, I don't know if I need to apologize or not but I don't admit I'm wrong very often. Like never. Anyway, for the record, I was wrong. 

Hey, just want to say that my comments about Jackson were wrong. I had time to consider the arguments here & what was said & you guys convinced me my position was wrong. So, I don't know if I need to apologize or not but I don't admit I'm wrong very often. Like never. Anyway, for the record, I was wrong. 

meh.  An opinion is an opinion.

No worries. No need to apologize for having an opinion. 

Love it, only in winnipeg or possibly regina but i doubt it would you have 3 pages or so talking about a quality control coach. You wouldn't see that anywhere else. Most other places would just ask what a quality control coach is and get the answer and that would be that. Good stuff. 

And the perception still seems to be quantity equals quality....why is that?

You don't think there's a competitive disadvantage when you have a staff of 7 or 8 coaches when most other teams have 11-12-13 or more?  What would you say if the Bombers dressed 38 players instead of 44?

The more information and time you have, the better decisions you can make and the better prepared you can be generally, and there are only 24 hours a day, I'm assuming most coaches sleep for at least 3 or 4.  Of course there are individual coaches that are duds, but those guys exist on staffs of all sizes.

While I wanted to see the Bombers hire more coaches over last season, I wasn't expecting to see 13......................... 10-11 would have been good with me.

For the most part I like the guys we've brought in, lots of coaching and CFL experience.

Still not completely sold on Bellfeuille and especially Etch, but next week is only week 1, maybe I should give them a chance.

While I wanted to see the Bombers hire more coaches over last season, I wasn't expecting to see 13......................... 10-11 would have been good with me.

For the most part I like the guys we've brought in, lots of coaching and CFL experience.

Still not completely sold on Bellfeuille and especially Etch, but next week is only week 1, maybe I should give them a chance.

I liked what the O did in the pre-season, they looked quite capable and actually according to the stats mike released earlier, had the most prolific offence in the pre-season, yes i understand it's pre-season but still, we moved the ball, didn't have one 2 and out vs Calgary. Etch? I agree with you, not sold but... guess we gotta give him a few weeks to see what happens. 

I'm not against hiring more coaches but I wanted a more experienced OVERALL coaching staff. This has turned into a tirade on junior football & that's my fault as it shouldn't have been. I will admit I did paint all junior coaches with one single brush & that was wrong. There are some very good junior coaches out there that have bright futures but the majority of those guys are high school level guys & will never progress any higher. Some were promoted to coordinator positions on teams throughout the PJFC & the results were disastrous. I believe that the Bombers need more experience at the assistant coaching level to be successful. Even at quality control. I guess as the season rolls along we'll see how this coaching staff evolves as a unit.

I may be wrong about this but the company I worked for thought they would try to put all their "super stars" on a job site. There was some physical labor involved but we were all IT types who installed and tested software. The result was a disaster. All that happned was there were 6 "experienced" guys who didn't want to move their butts other then to move from the equipment back to their laptop.

I learned a lesson. You need a mixture of experienced and inexperienced people with good charcater. The Bombers have that this year. they got rid of the "expereinced" players also. Too much experience without quality character.

The 80s bombers had experience and character. Been looking for that ever since 1990. (2001 was an anomoly)

I really like our coaching staff... so far... we'll see what the first few weeks brings  ;)

But one thing I like is it seems like we are building contingency plans at all positions.... guys like Etch, Dalqvist, and Wylie won't be around forever.... maybe when they move on, guys like Tracey, Buck, and Charbanneau (respectively) will be ready to step in and fill those roles without having a big effect on the product

As for Jackson he has come from one of the most successful junior program the last couple years has to count for something.

I have more confidence from him being here for the last month, in meeting rooms and working with players and fellow coaches before he was hired, than anything he accomplished in junior football.  Although him being successful there is also a fine thing too.  But the point was that his vetting process was longer than most of the other coaches we currently have on staff.