Bombers Hire Additional Staff

Jpan85

What does a quality control coach do?

IIRC the main duty involves game preparation such as breaking down film. They do help out on the field during practices. It is considered an entry level position.

I suspect it's really whatever they want him to do, but past instances from other teams I've heard job responsibilities that include scouting (on film) the team you are playing in the following week as well as breaking down film of your own team's previous games to see if you can spot tendencies.  For a defence that will rely heavily on deception and disguising looks, scouting yourself for tendencies could actually be very important to it's success.

Great, now we have a junior football coach coaching professional football players. Who's next, they hire the head coach of Churchill High School?  I envisioned a staff when Walters hired O'Shea that would encompass a lot more experience than this. And if I get slammed for having this opinion, so be it. I'm tired of all the losing. Hiring someone like Dave Jackson doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that this is the right staff to get things back on the winning track. At least we know some Bomber traditions are alive & well. He probably came cheap. 

Sorry iso, I have to call you on this one.

1) First, quality control coach is about one step above water boy in the grand scheme of things.  Its just another set of eyes on the game film, and some of their job is to collect and sort it (from what I've heard, maybe this won't hold true for the Bombers).

2) You would like the staff to "encompass a lot more experience" but both our coordinators have been in the CFL for over a decade (with brief stints out).

3) This hire isn't meant to 'inspire a lot of confidence.'  Its a quality control coach.

4) Re: cheap. The Bombers now have added a ton more coaches than last year (hell, almost double) which would indicate that they are spending quite a bit more in the coaching department in previous seasons.  But yes, I am assuming a quality control coach came cheap, because its a low, entry-level coaching position...

You are being way more polite in response to that post than I could have managed.  Kudos for that.

The path to become an NFL head coach can be rigorous. An education along with a football background helps. Being able to teach and communicate is an asset as well. However, even if you were born into the middle of a coaching tree (see Kyle Shanahan), you still have to pay your dues to get there. You can take the road through the High school and college ranks in order to gain the background experience necessary, but in many instances you will need to do an internship as a Quality Control Coach.

Contemporary coaches are always searching for an edge over their opponents. Now that the Computer Age is upon us, the analyzing has become more technical. Many of those coaches have assistants called the "Quality Control Coach." However, the QCC doesn't really do much coaching at all. They spend all day multitasking, breaking down film up to five weeks in advance and analyzing data. They work all hours, in hotel lobbies, on airplanes and at their team's headquarters producing reports for their Head Coach. They do get to do some coaching though. The QC coaches often run the "Scout" team in practices. From their extensive film work and breaking down plays, the QCC can be a great help preparing their team because they know the tendencies of their opponents. They make sure the Scout teams give the starters an accurate look at what they'll face on Sunday in practice during game weeks.

Denver Broncos Head Coach John Fox knows just what to do more with the data from his QC Coaches. In addition to being able to call up any game on video, he can pull up any statistic to match that play. "What you do is chart the tendency of that (opposing) coach, so that you can tell your team that 'in this situation it'll always be a run or always be a pass,'" says Fox. "So your team knows what to expect."

Quality-control coaches also learn N.F.L. systems from the long hours spent watching film. In no time they absorb the ins and outs of the chess match known as football and the ingenious distinctions between wins and losses. They also pickup how Pro teams organize their practices and their off-season, weight training and conditioning programs. Having access to the scouting, all the video, the personnel departments and the front office, the Quality Control Coach might be the best on the job training for anyone aspiring to become an NFL Head Coach.

Todd Haley called it:

"The greatest job in football as far as learning."

Tony Sparano added:

"That job was the most valuable experience I had. That was my first piece of work in this league. Quality control rounded me, made me a better coach."

The position as we know it in modern day football was created by Mike Holmgren in 1990 when he was the Offensive Coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers. Mike needed someone to transcribe the Niners Playbook and copy it to a computer. That someone was Jon Gruden. The job also included analyzing opponents, breaking down statistics, tracking and charting plays during games and fetching coffee. Gruden earned a salary of $500 a month, turned 18 hour days and often spent his nights on a cot in the office drawing up plays on his computer. Burning the midnight oil allowed him to pick up the necessary seasoning for his jobs as Head Coach with Oakland and Tampa Bay.

Gruden:

"I was one of the first guys in the 49ers organization to put the game plan on a computer and store the information so that it was accessible next week, next year and later on down the road for future games. Over the years, all of my computer files became outdated because the software improved. We had to hire a couple of guys – we called them the ‘sweatshop’ – to go in there and really do nothing but re-draw all of the plays and re-type all of the information. That’s not a lot of fun, but when you’re doing that you learn the offense. You learn what ‘Zoom’ is and what ‘Slot’ is, and what the difference is. You learn the different protections and blocking schemes and calls that are made."

The list of NFL coaches that have completed an "Apprenticeship" as the QC Coach include Todd Haley, Eric Mangini, Steve Spagnuolo, Brad Childress, Tony Sparano and Raheem Morris. Former Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan's son Kyle did a QCC stint under Jon Gruden with Tampa Bay in 2004 and is now the Offensive Coordinator for the Houston Texans. Don't be surprised if Kyle isn't a Head Coach sometime in the near future. Other NFL sons that are currently employed as QC Coaches are Tony Sparano, Jr., Kevin Gilbride, Jr., Sam Mills III, Bobby April, Jr., Chad Grimm and Ryan Slowik. The Offensive Quality Control Coach for the Denver Broncos is Brian Callahan, son of former head coach Bill Callahan. On Defense, that distinction belongs to Jay Rodgers. Hopefully, the next step up for these QC coaches will be as a position coach.

Tim Berbenich spent his first two seasons (2006-07) as an offensive quality control coach with Tampa Bay. He is entering his fifth season with the Buccaneers in 2010 and second as assistant wide receivers coach.

"Our number one responsibility is to get the coaches prepared to start studying the game plans," Berbenich said. "At the end of the day, I have to draw the plays, and if I don’t know them I can’t draw them. If you don’t know what they’re doing on defense you can’t break the film down. You can’t just know what one guy does, you have to know what all 11 players are doing. As far as drawing the plays and learning the playbook, I learned it all. I had no choice."

That $500 a month salary is roughly $22,000 per year these days. The QC job has become so important that even Special-Teams coordinators are asking for their own Quality-Control coaches, and QC coaches now have agents.

If Quality is Job One as the Ford Motor Company claims, The Quality Control Coach is an essential element to any NFL team.

Great, now we have a junior football coach coaching professional football players. Who's next, they hire the head coach of Churchill High School? I envisioned a staff when Walters hired O'Shea that would encompass a lot more experience than this. And if I get slammed for having this opinion, so be it. I'm tired of all the losing. Hiring someone like Dave Jackson doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that this is the right staff to get things back on the winning track. At least we know some Bomber traditions are alive & well. He probably came cheap.

1) First, quality control coach is about one step above water boy in the grand scheme of things. Its just another set of eyes on the game film, and some of their job is to collect and sort it (from what I've heard, maybe this won't hold true for the Bombers).

2) You would like the staff to "encompass a lot more experience" but both our coordinators have been in the CFL for over a decade (with brief stints out).

3) This hire isn't meant to 'inspire a lot of confidence.' Its a quality control coach.

4) Re: cheap. The Bombers now have added a ton more coaches than last year (hell, almost double) which would indicate that they are spending quite a bit more in the coaching department in previous seasons. But yes, I am assuming a quality control coach came cheap, because its a low, entry-level coaching position...

Great post, not sure why hiring another coach in any form should be considered a bad thing.. Especially one with experience with canadians and the cfl...

I really start to see grampa simpson yelling at clouds whenever i see some of iso's posts..

Great, now we have a junior football coach coaching professional football players. Who's next, they hire the head coach of Churchill High School?  I envisioned a staff when Walters hired O'Shea that would encompass a lot more experience than this. And if I get slammed for having this opinion, so be it. I'm tired of all the losing. Hiring someone like Dave Jackson doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that this is the right staff to get things back on the winning track. At least we know some Bomber traditions are alive & well. He probably came cheap. 

I'm not sure why you have such an issue with this.  It is obvious this isn't a position they planned on having for the coaching staff to start the season.   They liked what the new guy brought as a guest coach and made the budget work to hire him full time.

The way I see it, that is the exact opposite that you are suggesting.   They aren't cheaping out, they made room in the budget to bring in someone they liked.

I knew I'd get heat for what I  said. Why am I not impressed with junior coaches? My son played 2 years of junior football & started but the favouritism & politics these guys inflicted on their players, well. Most of them should stick with high school. That's their competency level.

Great, now we have a junior football coach coaching professional football players. Who's next, they hire the head coach of Churchill High School? I envisioned a staff when Walters hired O'Shea that would encompass a lot more experience than this. And if I get slammed for having this opinion, so be it. I'm tired of all the losing. Hiring someone like Dave Jackson doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that this is the right staff to get things back on the winning track. At least we know some Bomber traditions are alive & well. He probably came cheap.

1) First, quality control coach is about one step above water boy in the grand scheme of things. Its just another set of eyes on the game film, and some of their job is to collect and sort it (from what I've heard, maybe this won't hold true for the Bombers).

3) This hire isn't meant to 'inspire a lot of confidence.' Its a quality control coach.

4) Re: cheap. The Bombers now have added a ton more coaches than last year (hell, almost double) which would indicate that they are spending quite a bit more in the coaching department in previous seasons. But yes, I am assuming a quality control coach came cheap, because its a low, entry-level coaching position...

Great post, not sure why hiring another coach in any form should be considered a bad thing.. Especially one with experience with canadians and the cfl...

I really start to see grampa simpson yelling at clouds whenever i see some of iso's posts..

And all I see is a koolaid drinker when I read your posts so we're even.

I'm not sure why you have such an issue with this.  It is obvious this isn't a position they planned on having for the coaching staff to start the season.   They liked what the new guy brought as a guest coach and made the budget work to hire him full time.

The way I see it, that is the exact opposite that you are suggesting.   They aren't cheaping out, they made room in the budget to bring in someone they liked.

I knew I'd get heat for what I  said. Why am I not impressed with junior coaches? My son played 2 years of junior football & started but the favouritism & politics these guys inflicted on their players, well. Most of them should stick with high school. That's their competency level.

So because your son played for what you viewed as a corrupt staff of junior coaches (and let's be honest, you're not likely the most unbiased person about this ... what parent would be?) you are now willing to typecast EVERY junior coach as incompetent?

So because your son played for what you viewed as a corrupt staff of junior coaches (and let's be honest, you're not likely the most unbiased person about this ... what parent would be?) you are now willing to typecast EVERY junior coach as incompetent?

Yep, guess so. Hard not to think that way. I saw what I saw. Listen my son started for 2 years. It wasn't like he never saw the field so I'm not bitter about that. But the crap that went on behind the scenes, you had to be a part of it to believe it. I am painting everyone with the same brush & it's wrong but it's hard not to. As far as corrupt,  the coaches weren't corrupt. They just couldn't coach at that level.

My point is that we had the worst record in the CFL. It looks right now that attendance is way off from last year. I really wanted to see a more experienced staff overall because I feel an experienced staff gets you wins. Sure we have Bellefeuille, Wylie & Etch but I somehow expected more. 

507212aadb28b0d47d87121ae63dd19c8e3cba5c

And all I see is a koolaid drinker when I read your posts so we're even.

kool-aid_o_1946003.jpg

I'm not against hiring more coaches but I wanted a more experienced OVERALL coaching staff. This has turned into a tirade on junior football & that's my fault as it shouldn't have been. I will admit I did paint all junior coaches with one single brush & that was wrong. There are some very good junior coaches out there that have bright futures but the majority of those guys are high school level guys & will never progress any higher. Some were promoted to coordinator positions on teams throughout the PJFC & the results were disastrous. I believe that the Bombers need more experience at the assistant coaching level to be successful. Even at quality control. I guess as the season rolls along we'll see how this coaching staff evolves as a unit.

I'm not against hiring more coaches but I wanted a more experienced OVERALL coaching staff. This has turned into a tirade on junior football & that's my fault as it shouldn't have been. I will admit I did paint all junior coaches with one single brush & that was wrong. There are some very good junior coaches out there that have bright futures but the majority of those guys are high school level guys & will never progress any higher. Some were promoted to coordinator positions on teams throughout the PJFC & the results were disastrous. I believe that the Bombers need more experience at the assistant coaching level to be successful. Even at quality control. I guess as the season rolls along we'll see how this coaching staff evolves as a unit.

The problem with this Iso, is that our coaches are experienced, wether it is NFL, CIS, CFL, NCAA, the experience is there.

Our QB coach is the only one that I read that has zero Canadian football experience, but has had experience with our coordinator. 

Our RB coach is new to coaching but years of experience in the CFL.

The problem with this Iso, is that our coaches are experienced, wether it is NFL, CIS, CFL, NCAA, the experience is there.

Our QB coach is the only one that I read that has zero Canadian football experience, but has had experience with our coordinator. 

More NCAA & pro level experience. There are a lot of coaches out there looking for work who would be great additions at the CFL level. I'm not saying I'm against more Canadians coaching in the CFL but like Canadian qbs in the CIS with "supposedly" less playing experience & never get drafted, Canadian coaches haven't had the same experience coaching in high pressure bowl games or at the NCAA D1 FCS or FBS level. Or coached NFL or for other CFL teams. You can't compare the Rose Bowl or Fiesta Bowl to the Vanier Cup. Are Canadian coaches from the junior & CIS level ready to step in & be difference makers for a team like the Bombers who are desperate to win? That's the question that will be answered as the season progresses.

BTW, I don't put O'Shea in that category as he has been part of the CFL for 20 years as a player & coach & has won 2 Grey Cups. He knows what it takes to win. But my concern is, do some of his assistants?

More NCAA & pro level experience. There are a lot of coaches out there looking for work who would be great additions at the CFL level. I'm not saying I'm against more Canadians coaching in the CFL but like Canadian qbs in the CIS with "supposedly" less playing experience & never get drafted, Canadian coaches haven't had the same experience coaching in high pressure bowl games or at the NCAA D1 FCS or FBS level. Or coached NFL or for other CFL teams. You can't compare the Rose Bowl or Fiesta Bowl to the Vanier Cup. Are Canadian coaches from the junior & CIS level ready to step in & be difference makers for a team like the Bombers who are desperate to win? That's the question that will be answered as the season progresses.

BTW, I don't put O'Shea in that category as he has been part of the CFL for 20 years as a player & coach & has won 2 Grey Cups. He knows what it takes to win. But my concern is, do some of his assistants?

There is pro experience.  You can argue if they've been successful, but there is pro experience.

There are 3 assistants that do not have pro coaching experience.  Pierce, Tracy, and Charboneau, but Charboneau does have credit of being a guest coach in 2 organizations

Man, I can't see anyone complaining about what we have done concerning our current staff. From the lowest no. of staff in the CFL and very questionable, to a staff that they feel fills the needs that we have identified.

Learning on the job? To an extent, but that's not all bad.

Definitely more eyes, more opinions and ideas to get the message across, and everybody picking up even more experience.

We'll see how it works out, but the thinking is reasonable.

I think you can get away with it on a veteran team like Calgary where the head coach is absolutely rock solid . But on a fragile team like Winnipeg where the organization from top to bottom is full of inexperienced people at their positions, has been in a state of disorganized flux for a long time &  desperately needs to turn things around, having a third of the staff being  inexperienced coaches is a huge gamble.

Man, I can't see anyone complaining about what we have done concerning our current staff. From the lowest no. of staff in the CFL and very questionable, to a staff that they feel fills the needs that we have identified.

Learning on the job? To an extent, but that's not all bad.

Definitely more eyes, more opinions and ideas to get the message across, and everybody picking up even more experience.

We'll see how it works out, but the thinking is reasonable.

Just pointing out that with inexperience comes a bigger learning curve as either a coach & a player. That learning curve will cost us games. Look how an experienced OC thrust into a HC job (Lapo) had problems making quick game changing decisions on the sidelines at times that led to losses. The Bombers need to win now, not 4 years from now. We all bitched about last years staff. We don't know yet just how good (or bad) this staff will be yet. Hopefully it is good.

Except at the coordinator positions we have a plethora of experience. This isn't like bringing in Crowton to run the offense.

And while I will admit I've never been on a professional coaching staff, the most successful teams that I've been on in my professional career are those that mix experience with youth and "inexperience". Those younger people often have the ability to question the status quo because they have never been there before. They bring a unique perspective to the team.

I think you can get away with it on a veteran team like Calgary where the head coach is absolutely rock solid . But on a fragile team like Winnipeg where the organization from top to bottom is full of inexperienced people at their positions, has been in a state of disorganized flux for a long time &  desperately needs to turn things around, having a third of the staff being  inexperienced coaches is a huge gamble.

and when you've fired as many coaches as the bombers have recently experienced rock solid coaches don't want to go through that ****. Let's face it the last decade this team has been dragged through all kinds of **** and it's going to take time to repair the reputation. 

Except at the coordinator positions we have a plethora of experience. This isn't like bringing in Crowton to run the offense.

And while I will admit I've never been on a professional coaching staff, the most successful teams that I've been on in my professional career are those that mix experience with youth and "inexperience". Those younger people often have the ability to question the status quo because they have never been there before. They bring a unique perspective to the team.

Were the organizations you were with under the gun to be the best in their field NOW or you'd all be fired in 6 months? If they were,probably no one would lack experience because you'd have to trust the rookie would do his/her job without long term effect to yours. Pro sports is a whole other animal from business. It's not what you did for me yesterday. It's what will you do for me today & more importantly tomorrow. 

and when you've fired as many coaches as the bombers have recently experienced rock solid coaches don't want to go through that ****. Let's face it the last decade this team has been dragged through all kinds of **** and it's going to take time to repair the reputation. 

I absolutely agree Look at the coaches & managers we've hired. Most first time head coaches & managers with no experience at their positions. BC went out & got Buono. Stamps brought in Hufnagel who worked under Buono in Calgary. Riders brought in (dare I say it) Brendan Taman. Argos hired Stamps GM & Vice President of Player Personnel Jim Barker. Hamilton hired Kent Austin who won a Grey Cup in Saskatchewan.