Roster Cut Discussion

Mike

I have a question about PR spots.  

With it being said previously that the 11 cut will not be joining the PR, how does it work?

Does staff go to the player and say "Look, we like you a lot, but we just don't have a spot for you.... but if you want to stick around on the PR we might find a spot for you?"

You usually tell a guy that you're interested but that doesn't mean much because some guys don't want to sit around, not play, and only get paid $750 (? what is it now ?) a week for zero guarantee of playing time.  If they express interest in that spot, well they still have to be released and clear waivers - other teams can sign them if they want.  After 48 hours (I think), if they are still free agents then they sign that PR contract and get back out on the field.

It is possible that several of these 11 guys were approached about taking a PR spot and declined.  That happens every year.

So if that Bauming tweet is correct and none of these guys are going on the PR, then there are likely some more cuts to come, since that is part of the process.  Likely will wait until our injury situation has a bit more clarity to it.

That's a surprise to me.  Thought Jaymar Johnson showed enough to be given a PR spot.

he dropped a ton of passes in game 1, receivers who can't catch tend not to be worth much. 

I am a bit disappointed in cutting Hall now, I think that was a move that could have waited until you make damned sure you're other backups are for real but whatever I know why they did it... I just don't have to like it. Guy makes one mistake compared to the other and he's out that's a risky way of running your team.

Haha, so that's how you see it, eh? :rolleyes:

I have no problem with Max Hall and up until the signing of Browning, fully expected him to be the back-up this year..... but there are several more reasons he got cut than just that pick he threw against Cgy...

Guessing you don't remember Haulstead. :P

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/04/14/willie-haulstead-drawing-attention-with-big-catches-at-bombers-mini-camp

I see now who you are talking about. What DID happen to him? I like the comment at the end about Marve.

I suppose now, he'll just go down as the oldest looking 24 year old in the history of the world.

Warchant-WillieHaulsteadTalksAboutOverco

Seriously. He could be 45.

They must be expecting one or both of Feoli-Gudino and Kohlert to be ready to play week 1 because right now if we start two national receivers, there is no one to back them up.  Hoping both will be ready to go.

Kohlert and Watson start.  Feoli-Gudino and/or Carter backup. 

That's a surprise to me.  Thought Jaymar Johnson showed enough to be given a PR spot.

he dropped a ton of passes in game 1, receivers who can't catch tend not to be worth much. 

I am a bit disappointed in cutting Hall now, I think that was a move that could have waited until you make damned sure you're other backups are for real but whatever I know why they did it... I just don't have to like it. Guy makes one mistake compared to the other and he's out that's a risky way of running your team.

I have no problem with Max Hall and up until the signing of Browning, fully expected him to be the back-up this year..... but there are several more reasons he got cut than just that pick he threw against Cgy...

It wasn't about "one mistake". Max Hall, as he has been his entire career was just ineffective and he was cut because of it. End of story.

Guessing you don't remember Haulstead. :P

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/04/14/willie-haulstead-drawing-attention-with-big-catches-at-bombers-mini-camp

I see now who you are talking about. What DID happen to him? I like the comment at the end about Marve.

I suppose now, he'll just go down as the oldest looking 24 year old in the history of the world.

Warchant-WillieHaulsteadTalksAboutOverco

Seriously. He could be 45.

Ummm, have you met Greg Oden... this is him at 20!!

700.hq.jpg?3853

It wasn't about "one mistake". Max Hall, as he has been his entire career was just ineffective and he was cut because of it. End of story.

I thought Max Hall looked ok last year.. Not great, not terrible. He certainly didn't have a lot of help around him. But I fully expected him to have a better showing this year in training camp, and especially in the pre season games. Being the most familiar with Coach Bellefeuille's system.Instead he looked like the worst quarterback. Going into training camp I fully expected him to be neck and neck with Willy.. That wasn't the case. Unfortunately at 28 and below average arm strength. There isn't much upside for Hall here in Winnipeg.

I don't mind it. Allows the young guys to rise to the occasion and get more reps in practice. Shows confidence the brass has in our young quarterbacks. 

Retaining Hall and losing either Brohm or Marve in the process is not good. Plus how do you keep Hall if he's not #2?

You miss understood me. I don't mind us cutting Hall and allowing Brohm/Marve to progress with more reps in practice.

They must be expecting one or both of Feoli-Gudino and Kohlert to be ready to play week 1 because right now if we start two national receivers, there is no one to back them up.  Hoping both will be ready to go.

Yes obviously.  But both Kohlert and JFG are injured, or at least they were during this week of practice.

Yes obviously.  But both Kohlert and JFG are injured, or at least they were during this week of practice.

Kohert is day to day and he will be fine for the season opener.  Not sure about JFG, but I believe his injury is minor as well.

Watching the presser ... O'Shea just had an interesting response to the question about Mark Dell.

Nevermind, saw ya answered my question earlier.. Doh.

Still a weird way to check out the reciever..

Max Hall was the best of a group of really bad QB's that we ended last year with.  We brought in 3 new guys, and they all outperformed him.

That speaks more to exactly how bad the QB's we had last year were, than anything else.

Good job Danny Mac. You have done more in a few months to solve our QB woes than the previous Bomber management regimes have done in 10 years.

Intriguing when asked about Kelly, O'Shea said Bellefeuille "has plans for him"

Based on what I saw in training camp I could see Kelly being a big red zone target this year. Could catch a lot of TDs.

I'm really not opposed to that.

Also, I think we can expect Woods to be featured in some exciting packages this season.

The Dell thing is really weird.

Sure called Jaymar Johnson's number a lot in pre-season just to cut him...

Why we kept Dumas, Howard is beyond me

Thought Moseley played better than Fraser

Can't believe we're not offering Renaud a PR

sometimes you find the weirdest things to be upset about.

Daivon Dumas has to be the least mentioned guy throughout all of training camp, which generally isn't bad for a DB, and you can't believe we kept him.

And then you find it weird that we cut Dell without a chance to get a good look at him, but you're surprised we kept Howard - who also has yet to get much of a chance this TC.

And Taylor Renaud? Who cares.

Maybe we are reserving a spot or two for guys we can pickup from other teams cuts.