Roster Cut Discussion

Mike

That's not really accurate unless you add in the off season acquisitions too.

Oh good. A 35 year old Korey Banks and an MLB who no one else wanted.

what about randle? willy? moore? newman? eventhough he is hurt. 

Unless a starting qb, starting cb and starting receiver isn't good enough. 

Can i ask you an honest question? What exactly did you expect from this regime in one off season? for them to completely over haul the team? Cuz i don't think that was likely, our main issue is our lack of non import depth, that can't and won't be fixed any time soon, that will take time through drafting. Do you think Winnipeg was high on the list of free agent destinations? We were the joke of the league last season, it's going to take some time to get rid of that reputation. You don't lose that reputation over a  few months, it's going to take a few years. We were 3-15 last season, most free agents in every sport wont sign with a team that Sucked. We sucked. It sucks that we sucked but, before going and writing this new group off, should probably give them a chance first. 

None of those excuses matter when it comes to import competition, talking rookies, not veteran CFL free agents.  99% of the time they have no say in where they end up in the CFL if they decide to pursue the CFL, they could care less about the history of the Blue Bombers.  This is the worst competition among import spots I can remember since Taman ended up running the show solo after Ritchie was fired, basically the only solid competition was at DB, and Maher was a good option too.  Import scouting and procurement is something a front office can really control, whereas the non-import issue is a longer term solution of drafting and developing.

Hopefully some of the rookie imports who made the team show us a little more when the games count.

People can say what they will about Joe Macks failings but the man did know how to bring in some rookie talent. 

That's not really accurate unless you add in the off season acquisitions too.

Oh good. A 35 year old Korey Banks and an MLB who no one else wanted.

what about randle? willy? moore? newman? eventhough he is hurt. 

Unless a starting qb, starting cb and starting receiver isn't good enough. 

Can i ask you an honest question? What exactly did you expect from this regime in one off season? for them to completely over haul the team? Cuz i don't think that was likely, our main issue is our lack of non import depth, that can't and won't be fixed any time soon, that will take time through drafting. Do you think Winnipeg was high on the list of free agent destinations? We were the joke of the league last season, it's going to take some time to get rid of that reputation. You don't lose that reputation over a  few months, it's going to take a few years. We were 3-15 last season, most free agents in every sport wont sign with a team that Sucked. We sucked. It sucks that we sucked but, before going and writing this new group off, should probably give them a chance first. 

None of those excuses matter when it comes to import competition, talking rookies, not veteran CFL free agents.  99% of the time they have no say in where they end up in the CFL if they decide to pursue the CFL, they could care less about the history of the Blue Bombers.  This is the worst competition among import spots I can remember since Taman ended up running the show solo after Ritchie was fired, basically the only solid competition was at DB, and Maher was a good option too.  Import scouting and procurement is something a front office can really control, whereas the non-import issue is a longer term solution of drafting and developing.

Hopefully some of the rookie imports who made the team show us a little more when the games count.

People can say what they will about Joe Macks failings but the man did know how to bring in some rookie talent. 

I completely agree with that. Mack was solid in finding several import talents for the team, several of which are still here. What he lacked seemed to be the ability to make trades, didn't seem to value veterans that much, never was that active in free agency. People can say a lot of bad stuff about MACK but i don't think anyone can really question his ability to find import talent. He would make a great regional scout. Just wasn't a very good GM. Just one example of many, everyone on here seems to be wild about Ian, well Ian Wild was a mack find. Who is our best dline talent? turner,anderson,vega? mack mack mack. Denmark is very good, mack again. Suber? Sears? Washington? Once again, the return of the mack. 

How many import rookies started our first game last season? Dunn is the only one I can think of. Who were the guys people were excited about coming out of camp last year? I'm not trying to prove any point about our scouting, I just honestly can't remember. I can't imagine there was much excitement about what we saw in either preseason game.

How many import rookies started our first game last season? Dunn is the only one I can think of. Who were the guys people were excited about coming out of camp last year? I'm not trying to prove any point about our scouting, I just honestly can't remember. I can't imagine there was much excitement about what we saw in either preseason game.

That's a good point actually. Dunn was one for sure, Was zach anderson another? Outside of those 2 guys though, I don't think there was anyone else and Anderson might not have even started the first game. Markett? nah, he didn't start. 

I think, looking at the list of who DIDN'T get cut, it shows that this roster is still very weak and in for a rough year.

I think a big problem with last years team was the Offence. It was so bad that the games were over when other teams scored 14 points, well they weren't but essentially we all knew they were. If we can get a decent to even mediocre performance out of the offence, not going 2 and out all game, not leaving the D on the field for 45 of the 60 minutes of the game, I think we should be better.The Offence was a big reason why we were just so terrible last year. Crowton was just terrible, With a capable offence and it looks like we may have a capable offence, we should see some significant improvement over last year. 

Last year should just be putin the garbage and taken away cuz i don't really think last year was an indication of how good or bad we were, our head coach looked lost, our OC to the start the year made Buck Pierce a pocket qb, The team has talent, they just weren't really used properly last season. I'll go back to the buck pierce point once again, the guy was not a pocket qb and our brilliant OC tried to turn him in to one. Just had fail written all over it, this team? I feel there is some hope. Our coaches know what they are doing (I'm not convinced Etch does) but the others are all capable. Last year, none of them were. 

They didn't start but Markett and WIld did generate some buzz in preseason, Dunn started and started the year pretty well I think. Last year being the 3rd year for the GM it does make sense though that there were less spots for rookies, a lot of the spots were being filled by players that regime brought in previous years as you would expect. 

They didn't start but Markett and WIld did generate some buzz in preseason, Dunn started and started the year pretty well I think. Last year being the 3rd year for the GM it does make sense though that there were less spots for rookies, a lot of the spots were being filled by players that regime brought in previous years as you would expect. 

Zach Anderson as well.

That's a good point actually. Dunn was one for sure, Was zach anderson another? Outside of those 2 guys though, I don't think there was anyone else and Anderson might not have even started the first game. Markett? nah, he didn't start. 

Desia Dunn (who admittedly, I wasn't excited about at all) and Zach Anderson right off the bat. Then there was Markett and Wallace Miles was a promising receiver as well (although he was here right at the end of 2012)

Realistically all this regime needed to find (in terms of rookie imports) was a running back and a receiver.  They found an RB who is unfortunately injured right now but they pretty much whiffed on the receiver.

Defensive end too. We don't have an import backup defensive end.

Those are two of the easiest positions to fill. And we whiffed hard on both.

To their credit though, they did an unreal job with the level of talent in the secondary.

Realistically all this regime needed to find (in terms of rookie imports) was a running back and a receiver.  They found an RB who is unfortunately injured right now but they pretty much whiffed on the receiver.

An edge rusher would have been nice too, to complement Vega.  We settled on CFL average players in a couple spots, hopefully they continue auditioning guys throughout the season and aren't too loyal to guys like Peach and Kelly.

Desia Dunn (who admittedly, I wasn't excited about at all) and Zach Anderson right off the bat. Then there was Markett and Wallace Miles was a promising receiver as well (although he was here right at the end of 2012)

Hows miles doing out in ottawa? is he gonna make the team or is he a guy that we could possibly pick up? 

Defensive end too. We don't have an import backup defensive end.

Those are two of the easiest positions to fill. And we whiffed hard on both.

To their credit though, they did an unreal job with the level of talent in the secondary.

I liked what I saw from Fraser. I thought he got decent pressure in both games. He played tackle, but he doesn't seem like he's too big to play de.

Hows miles doing out in ottawa? is he gonna make the team or is he a guy that we could possibly pick up? 

He had 4 catches for 44 yards last week. Most receptions on the team.

An edge rusher would have been nice too, to complement Vega.  We settled on CFL average players in a couple spots, hopefully they continue auditioning guys throughout the season and aren't too loyal to guys like Peach and Kelly.

I was going to say DE as well, but I personally don't mind Peach.  I think he is very good when healthy.