Roster Cut Discussion

Mike

Really disappointed with our scouting this offseason, to be honest.

Is it because they haven't found someone to supplant Kelly ?

Any time you go into the offseason with Desia Dunn, Aaron Kelly and Greg Peach as projected starters and come out of the following training camp with it being the exact same, you've done a bad job.

Agreed, aside from Paris Cotton is there any other real good import we brought in? The fact we couldn't find anyone better than a guy like Kuale bothers me.

I'd say Leggett and Bruce Johnson.

But that's not a good haul, considering they went through what? 50 imports?

By the way people are disappointed with the scouting it would seem like they did nothing; but we seem to have a lot of new rookies on the team that made the team.  We can't be that disappointed it will take some time; we have to remember it isn't like the Blue Bombers is the place to go right now.  I think they did an excellent job filling the glaring holes; if we can get some more decent RB's found, some players to take over Volny's and Woods spot. Focus a bit on our defensive line struggles.  It'll make things easier for drafting for our offensive line.

*I hope they weren't feeling holes; ewwwww lol*

I think it's a fool's errand to declare the off season a success or failure without having played a single meaningful game...

I'm not saying success or failure as a whole. I'm just saying as far as the class of rookie imports goes, it's pretty underwhelming.

By the way people are disappointed with the scouting; but we seem to have a lot of new rookies on the team that made the team.  We can't be that disappointed it will take some time; we have to remember it isn't like the Blue Bombers is the place to go right now.  I think they did an excellent job feeling the glaring holes; if we can get some more decent RB's found, some players to take over Volny's and Woods spot. Focus a bit on our defensive line struggles.  It'll make things easier for drafting for our offensive line.

Good points. Best job of management was filling the stable with quarterbacks that can play. Something we haven't had in a long time. Our "young guns" are going to be fun to watch, if they can actually get some blocking. And that's why we have Wylie. I also liked how they cleared out a lot of Mack deadwood this year. Pencer, Poblah, Etienne, Hall, Kowalchuk - all replaced with better guys.

It is tough to totally rebuild in one off season.  Guys can spend years on the neg list before coming up.  If our list was the worst in the league as reported last year it is no surprise we arent stacked with great rookies this year.  That can take a while.  This year might be all about trying a thousand news guys hoping to find 7 or so that will be key guys on our 2016 grey Cup winning team.  I guess what I a saying is we have a long way to go.  

Some of the guys cut today will be on the practice roster and could be in the line-up next Thursday and soe of the guys not cut today could be long gone by then.  For example we still have 4 International OLs.  

Agreed, aside from Paris Cotton is there any other real good import we brought in? The fact we couldn't find anyone better than a guy like Kuale bothers me.

I'd say Leggett and Bruce Johnson.

But that's not a good haul, considering they went through what? 50 imports?

As someone mention before... these guys need to fit a system especially on the defensive side of the field. Maybe it's hard to find players for Etch's system ?

based on the injury list from yesterday... plus the guys who reportedly back yesterday but might need time to recover fully

I'm expecting these guys to go on IR...

1-game: Cotton, Ford, Jones, Kemp, Markett, Suber, Eisho, Stevenson... Swiston, Alexander, Briggs, West and Sears

6-game: Lucas, Newman

that left... Howard, Bolton, Dumas, Fraser and Browning.

maybe they gonna  release more (deadline is tonight) in able to put them to the PR.

You have to remember that just because someone did not make the team as a starter for week 1 doesn't mean that they can't be a starter down the line.  It is kind of nice to think that at the very least we have guys that are capable starters for week 1 and we will have guys on the practice roster pushing them.  I don't think that's a fail in scouting at all. That's how most teams work.

You have to remember that just because someone did not make the team as a starter for week 1 doesn't mean that they can't be a starter down the line.  It is kind of nice to think that at the very least we have guys that are capable starters for week 1 and we will have guys on the practice roster pushing them.  I don't think that's a fail in scouting at all. That's how most teams work.

Agreed.  Only Joe Mack teams start 6 rookies in week one.

I guess the current regime put much weight on the veteran experience and doesn't want to rush rookies to starting position.

I'm looking at the current roster and it looks like we could expect only 2-3 rookie starters for game 1... the rest are CFL vets.

Agreed.  Only Joe Mack teams start 6 rookies in week one.

Look at the type of talent we went after.

We didn't take the Joe Mack approach of going after strictly young, unproven talent.

We went after the experienced players who have been around and have played enough football that they should be able to fit right in. Look at the names we went through this offseason with significant NFL experience.

It just doesn't strike me as impressive.