Roster Cut Discussion

Mike

You have to remember that just because someone did not make the team as a starter for week 1 doesn't mean that they can't be a starter down the line.  It is kind of nice to think that at the very least we have guys that are capable starters for week 1 and we will have guys on the practice roster pushing them.  I don't think that's a fail in scouting at all. That's how most teams work.

Very much agreed. We have less need for rookie starters b/c we actually signed some vets in the offseason.

These end up training camp cuts always come with a boatload of questions.  Who among those aren't cut are hurt and will be cut when they're healthy? Who among the injured will be on the roster when they're healthy, and who will be released because of that?  Which cuts are going on the PR? etc. etc.

There are a couple conclusions we can draw right now, but most likely we are going to have to wait until Sunday before we can make the rest.

You have to remember that just because someone did not make the team as a starter for week 1 doesn't mean that they can't be a starter down the line.  It is kind of nice to think that at the very least we have guys that are capable starters for week 1 and we will have guys on the practice roster pushing them.  I don't think that's a fail in scouting at all. That's how most teams work.

Agreed.  Only Joe Mack teams start 6 rookies in week one.

Look at the type of talent we went after.

We didn't take the Joe Mack approach of going after strictly young, unproven talent.

We went after the experienced players who have been around and have played enough football that they should be able to fit right in. Look at the names we went through this offseason with significant NFL experience.

It just doesn't strike me as impressive.

I do agree, to a certain point.  I was pretty underwhelmed with the talent we brought in to compete at defensive end and receiver.  But this is the right way to bring along rookies, IMO.  We do have ten international rookies on the roster right now.  Even guys coming from the NFL need some time to get acclimated to the league and prove they can outperform a veteran CFLer.  You're also assuming that Kelly and Dunn are penciled in as starters.  That may be true, but those spots could just as easily end up being manned by Unamba and Kemp.

Our scouting will get tested when there are some injuries and these new guys have to step in, which is the way it should be.

Have to say I find some of the posts in this thread rather amusing.

No surprises in the cuts I don't think. Those who performed are on the team, those who didn't are either making flight plans or will be making peanuts on the PR. The team has a long way to go but overall we're significantly ahead of where we were last season.

Watching the presser ... O'Shea just had an interesting response to the question about Mark Dell.

I don't get it. He didn't have time to make the team, did they not see that coming? were they just hoping he'd shine in his 1(?) practice?

Watching the presser ... O'Shea just had an interesting response to the question about Mark Dell.

I liked his response to whoever the clown was that kept persisting on the "what keeps you up at night?" question. That guy was pretty douchey.

That's Wiecek

I think about a dozen or so. Depending on how the IR goes ... I'm expecting Cotton, Ford, Swiston, Sears and Briggs to be one-gamed, Newman to be six-gamed.

Is Swiston that close to being healthy?  To this point I assumed that if he hasn't been on the field yet because of his surgery that the 6 game IR was a pretty sure bet for him.

I liked his response to whoever the clown was that kept persisting on the "what keeps you up at night?" question. That guy was pretty douchey.

That's Wiecek

Why am I not surprised. What a ****-head.