Roster Cut Discussion

Mike

The Dell thing is really weird.

Sure called Jaymar Johnson's number a lot in pre-season just to cut him...

Why we kept Dumas, Howard is beyond me

Thought Moseley played better than Fraser

Can't believe we're not offering Renaud a PR

sometimes you find the weirdest things to be upset about.

Daivon Dumas has to be the least mentioned guy throughout all of training camp, which generally isn't bad for a DB, and you can't believe we kept him.

And then you find it weird that we cut Dell without a chance to get a good look at him, but you're surprised we kept Howard - who also has yet to get much of a chance this TC.

And Taylor Renaud? Who cares.

sometimes I think you just sit there waiting to find something in my posts to blow out of proportion.

Randle wasn't mentioned because he's a shutdown guy, Dumas wasn't mentioned because he was trailing the play and got very limited reps in pre-season

Howard was a turnstyle... Peterson had some problems but showed more than Howard.

Even with that whiffed tackle, I thought Moseley was impressive on STs.  He had more speed than the other DL prospects.

Renaud - I will always cheer for Manitobans...  would have PRd him until we actually found another better NI prospect

I'm not upset at all.  In fact, I'm excited that Hall is gone.

Max Hall - i figured it was going to be either Willy,Hall or Brohm, Marve. not Willy Hall and Brohm. Brohm and Hall are similar, similar abilities, Brohm has the bigger arm, can make all the throws, Hall can't. If last year didn't happen and max hall brian brohm and robert marve were all brought in this season, would anyone be surprised hall was let go? Hall did not look good, he did not look like he had 9 games of starting experience in the CFL last season. He didn't separate himself from the 2 rookies really. That is not good. Hall should have been pushing Willy, that's why he was here, to push Willy, but hall got pushed and eventually his job was taken by a guy who sat on the IR all last season and by a rookie, new to the CFL rookie. Hall is probably done with Pro Football, I don't see another team picking him up. As for being concened with the veteran experience behind Willy? Austin doesn't seem too concerned with collaros and the rookies he's got behind him in Hamilton. Montreal doesn't seem concerned with their rookie qb's. Calgary has an oft injured drew tate and a still new to the league but pretty impressive looking bo levi mitchell. Seems to be a trend going around in the league this year. You know tate will get injured eventually, who is behind blm?

Johnson,Uruittia,Reed- Though Uruttia stood out early in camp, hard not to do though where you are 6'5 6'6. Kind of went awol though the last few weeks. Johnson? Had a good game vs calgary but... did have quite a few drops and is 30 years old, i never knew that. Reed? again didn't stand out, Dell? not sure why he was brought in to be honest, never really given a chance but there must be some concern with his health.

The others? No real surprises, maybe moseley was a bit of a surprise only because he seemed to be versatile and etch likes versatility, did whiff on that special teams tackle to start vs calgary and in the game day chat thread i did say when that happened that he will be cut. Didn't really mean it but guess i was right.

Daivon Dumas has to be the least mentioned guy throughout all of training camp, which generally isn't bad for a DB, and you can't believe we kept him.

And then you find it weird that we cut Dell without a chance to get a good look at him, but you're surprised we kept Howard - who also has yet to get much of a chance this TC.

sometimes I think you just sit there waiting to find something in my posts to blow out of proportion.

Randle wasn't mentioned because he's a shutdown guy, Dumas wasn't mentioned because he was trailing the play and got very limited reps in pre-season

Howard was a turnstyle... Peterson had some problems but showed more than Howard.

Even with that whiffed tackle, I thought Moseley was impressive on STs.  He had more speed than the other DL prospects.

Renaud - I will always cheer for Manitobans...  would have PRd him until we actually found another better NI prospect

How can you tell watching the game on tv from the Yukon? It's floyd vs the world. 

I liked Dumas all TC and pre-season and thought he was very solid in coverage.

Cannot say I'm not completely disappointed by this though. Not that we cut the wrong guys, but that guys that really had no business even being on the team last year are still here. I really don't like settling for status quo veterans and that just seems like what we are doing due to poor scouting. The players that everyone thought were on the bubble this year as starters or role players were Morley, Kelly, Ford, Peach, Renaud, Suber and maybe Markett. Aside from Ford, no one has really been replaced or even pushed by a replacement and only Markett has absolutely deserved it due to his play. How hard is it to find a high quality international receiver? Joe Mack could do it.

I also agree that it made no sense to play Jaymar Johnson so much in the second pre-season because while I hate the idea of a mediocre 30 year old starting SB, what more could he have done?

In the end, I hate to lay any praise on any team but look at the rookie talent the Argos have brought in. Thaddeus Gibson was a very effective college player and just didn't have a position in the NFL. Greg Romeus was at one point a potential number one draft choice before injuries set him back. Vince Agnew was a Joe Mack find who most of us were super high on before he got another NFL shot and I wouldn't be surprised if he rips it up. Maybe it's the scheme that prevented good players from finding a place but it did seem like this was a camp devoid of real quality talent.

Joe Mack did a lot of things wrong, probably less than most people admit but that's not really the point. He always brought in rookie talent that got people excited. No one can deny that.

In the end, I hate to lay any praise on any team but look at the rookie talent the Argos have brought in. Thaddeus Gibson was a very effective college player and just didn't have a position in the NFL. Greg Romeus was at one point a potential number one draft choice before injuries set him back. Vince Agnew was a Joe Mack find who most of us were super high on before he got another NFL shot and I wouldn't be surprised if he rips it up. Maybe it's the scheme that prevented good players from finding a place but it did see like this was a camp devoid of real quality talent.

Joe Mack did a lot of things wrong, probably less than most people admit but that's not really the point. He always brought in rookie talent that got people excited. No one can deny that.

Is he the rush end from Ohio State?  That guy made Jarvis Jones look like a Winnipeg Rifle tossed into a pro game in the first pre-season game.

In the end, I hate to lay any praise on any team but look at the rookie talent the Argos have brought in. Thaddeus Gibson was a very effective college player and just didn't have a position in the NFL. Greg Romeus was at one point a potential number one draft choice before injuries set him back. Vince Agnew was a Joe Mack find who most of us were super high on before he got another NFL shot and I wouldn't be surprised if he rips it up. Maybe it's the scheme that prevented good players from finding a place but it did see like this was a camp devoid of real quality talent.

Is he the rush end from Ohio State?  That guy made Jarvis Jones look like a Winnipeg Rifle tossed into a pro game in the first pre-season game.

That's the fella.

I do that because you actually explain your opinions. Hence, dialogue.

Cannot say I'm not completely disappointed by this though. Not that we cut the wrong guys, but that guys that really had no business even being on the team last year are still here. I really don't like settling for status quo veterans and that just seems like what we are doing due to poor scouting. The players that everyone thought were on the bubble this year as starters or role players were Morley, Kelly, Ford, Peach, Renaud, Suber and maybe Markett. Aside from Ford, no one has really been replaced or even pushed by a replacement and only Markett has absolutely deserved it due to his play. How hard is it to find a high quality international receiver? Joe Mack could do it.

I also agree that it made no sense to play Jaymar Johnson so much in the second pre-season because while I hate the idea of a mediocre 30 year old starting SB, what more could he have done?

I won't say completely devoid. There are a handful of talented rookie imports that I am excited about. Bruce Johnson, Maurice Leggett and Paris Cotton. That being said, one is injured and one probably isn't a starter so where does that leave us?

I'm just really, really disappointed at the level of defensive line prospects and receiving prospects we brought in. Look at our rush end depth. The backup is Louie Richardson. No offense to Louie Richardson, but that's sad.

I won't say completely devoid. There are a handful of talented rookie imports that I am excited about. Bruce Johnson, Maurice Leggett and Paris Cotton. That being said, one is injured and one probably isn't a starter so where does that leave us?

I'm just really, really disappointed at the level of defensive line prospects and receiving prospects we brought in. Look at our rush end depth. The backup is Louie Richardson. No offense to Louie Richardson, but that's sad.

Devoid was probably the wrong word but still the weakest I can remember in a long time.

I kinda agree with Mike. After the 3-days of mini-camp and 18 gruelling days of training camps and probably several tryouts... this is all the Bombers produced so far?

Offense:
OL Howard
RB Cotton *
RB Grigsby
RB Bolton
WR Kemp

Defense:
DL Fraser
DB Leggett *
DB B.Johnson
DB Unamba
DB Dumas

It's underwhelming indeed.

That's not really accurate unless you add in the off season acquisitions too.

I agree. we actually did something this off season that we haven't done in a long time and that is sign a bunch of free agents or trade for a bunch of guys who were going to be free agents. Upgrades for sure at certain spots. 

Little underwhelming but... all in all, we don't really know what we got with the "rookies" until we see them play in a meaningful game, may seem underwhelming now but, if a couple of them step up when given that opportunity too, then all concern should go away. 

Oh good. A 35 year old Korey Banks and an MLB who no one else wanted.

what about randle? willy? moore? newman? eventhough he is hurt. 

Unless a starting qb, starting cb and starting receiver isn't good enough. 

Can i ask you an honest question? What exactly did you expect from this regime in one off season? for them to completely over haul the team? Cuz i don't think that was likely, our main issue is our lack of non import depth, that can't and won't be fixed any time soon, that will take time through drafting. Do you think Winnipeg was high on the list of free agent destinations? We were the joke of the league last season, it's going to take some time to get rid of that reputation. You don't lose that reputation over a  few months, it's going to take a few years. We were 3-15 last season, most free agents in every sport wont sign with a team that Sucked. We sucked. It sucks that we sucked but, before going and writing this new group off, should probably give them a chance first. 

Unless a starting qb, starting cb and starting receiver isn't good enough. 

Those other guys didn't fit into my argument.

lol, thank you I didn't want to have start listing, but yeah Moore and Randle suck, nothing gained there. Goosen & Neufeld too.

The fact is, this team would be better than last year's even if the only upgrade was at QB. Randle, Moore, Cotton and hopefully Hajrullahu are all upgrades as well while Kuale is a downgrade. It all adds up to a net gain. I just think there was a lot more room for upgrades and it didn't work out. Such is life.