Maher in Ottawa

Harbaugh

it's a mistake to have to take the ratio into consideration when deciding on your roster?

It's a mistake to make potential long-term sacrifices to (barely) address something in the short-term when you're re-building.  Placekicking is vital.  Our ratio problems don't go away by going with a CDN kicker.

That didn't take long.  Mistake by the new brass, I think.

No...I don't think so.   Maher was in tough to win the job and Osh told him that he'd have to perform significantly better than Highralahoo in order to beat out the Cdn kicker.  And I believe it was pretty much a tie between the two.   

Didn't see any practices, but in the games Hajrullahu and Maher were dead even, Maher obviously has a bigger leg in terms of punting, but didn't place them well leading to big returns, and Renaud is a fairly reliable veteran punter who will have Hajrullahu around to push him too.

Over 18 games I expect that Maher's placekicking would be a little more consistent, but Hajrullahu hasn't blinked to this point when the lights have been on.

Tie goes to the Canadian.

Just my opinion but i feel as though import kickers are a dime a dozen, similar to running backs really. If you really truly wanted an import kicker to do all 3 jobs, I don't think it would be too hard to find a guy down south. (sorry not calling them nats and internationals)

Walters  & MOS knew the ratio situation before camp so why even sign him? For competition? There was no competition. How many guys do both punting & kicking extremely well anymore?? So for MOS to say that Maher had to do both better than the other guys when they didn't have to do both jobs themselves??? Not asking much. If he catches on in Ottawa & scores 130 points & our placekicking isn't as good then it was a huge mistake. 

Walters  & MOS knew the ratio situation before camp so why even sign him? For competition? There was no competition. How many guys do both punting & kicking extremely well anymore?? So for MOS to say that Maher had to do both better than the other guys when they didn't have to do both jobs themselves??? Not asking much. If he catches on in Ottawa & scores 130 points & our placekicking isn't as good then it was a huge mistake. 

How about because when they signed the guy they hadn't lost 2 NI players they were hoping could be at least rotational starters to injury for the entire season. Are you seriously missing the point here? It's not like the canadian kickers have been outperformed here, they were all close so if it's close AND your NI depth has already taken a hit with season ending injuries then why the hell wouldn't you expect them to cut the import kicker? 

That's ridiculous. You sign him because if he turns out to be MUCH better, you obviously keep him. And he could've been. He just wasn't.

He was good, but so was Lirim. You never really know how these things shake out until the season gets going, but what if our kicker ends up with a better % or more points than Ottawa's?

Every team has made "huge mistakes" year after year, even the best, because it's often close enough in training camp that tough calls have to be made.

Would you have preferred if they only brought in Renaud and Lirim and handed them the jobs without competition.  Competition makes everyone better.   What if Lirim crapped the bed, and we had no backup?    Professional sports is a cut throat business.   Maher has told when he signed he would be a long shot and had to out perform in all phases.  He came up anyway.   And now, he is getting a chance with Ottawa, so it is not all for not.

It's pretty simple, to make it as a DI he had to bring value as a guy who could do all jobs, although if Hajrullahu would have crapped the bed as a placekicker I'm sure you would have seen Maher placekicking and Renaud punting.  Hajrullahu has been competing at all three jobs, and Renaud has no idea how to placekick if you have a memory back to 2010 when he had to attempt a convert with the placekicker down, they literally could have picked a random fan from the stands and they probably could have kicked the ball further off a tee.

How about because when they signed the guy they hadn't lost 2 NI players they were hoping could be at least rotational starters to injury for the entire season. Are you seriously missing the point here? It's not like the canadian kickers have been outperformed here, they were all close so if it's close AND your NI depth has already taken a hit with season ending injuries then why the hell wouldn't you expect them to cut the import kicker? 

Well, maybe so. I'm just saying how many players do both jobs punting & placekicking? White in Montreal & McCallum in BC.  I just don't think you can really find those kind of players anymore. So, why lay it on one player like that is all I'm saying. 

There was a very hard fought competition.