Gerald McRath released

Mike

Penton was on CJOB with Toth tonight. He hasn't talked to anybody with the Bombers, so it's just his opinion, but he thinks there was a bit of a disagreement between GM/scouts and Etcheverry over whether or not he should be on the roster. That's why it took so long to happen after the camp was over.

He said the mgmt guys were telling him how much they liked him after the camp, so it had to be the coaching staff.

Penton was on CJOB with Toth tonight. He hasn't talked to anybody with the Bombers, so it's just his opinion, but he thinks there was a bit of a disagreement between GM/scouts and Etcheverry over whether or not he should be on the roster. That's why it took so long to happen after the camp was over.

He said the mgmt guys were telling him how much they liked him after the camp, so it had to be the coaching staff.

I hate to say this, but I'm starting to DISLIKE the idea of Etch being our DC more and more.

I'm not sure he even makes it through the season to be honest.

It's a tad early for "the sky is falling.." No? I'm sure there must be rational explanations for cuts that don't make sense like others have mentioned (NFL came calling, didn't grasp the concepts, etc etc)

49123151.jpg

Sweet! Im the king of clubs! Respect *******!

Is Ryland Wickman still out there?

just kidding

McRath was a panic signing. Obviously one of the many ex-NFL gypsies who have been heavily injured and looking for a soft place to land and a nice $150,000 salary. Lots of experience, yes but in a broken body!

Etcheverry's Pissing me off already, and we haven't even begun main Camp. I hope O'Shea had an interim in mind when he hired the guy... Anyone on our staff have DC experience?

Actually Pat Tracey is a DC in CIS... not sure how hard it is to transition to CFL

Etcheverry's Pissing me off already, and we haven't even begun main Camp. I hope O'Shea had an interim in mind when he hired the guy... Anyone on our staff have DC experience?

Actually Pat Tracey is a DC in CIS... not sure how hard it is to transition to CFL

I don't think we want that Pat Tracey as our DC (there's a Wiki bug).

The CIS Pat Tracey might do OK:

There are plenty of reasons to think Tracey will do well in the CFL. His Guelph career was very promising (and he coached there while new Bombers' head coach Mike O'Shea and current GM Kyle Walters played for the Gryphons, likely the connections that got him on Winnipeg's radar), and he did even better at Queen's, initially running the Golden Gaels' special teams and serving as their recruiting coordinator before taking over as defensive coordinator in 2001. He's held that post for the last decade-plus, and his defences have frequently ranked among the country's best; his work was crucial to Queen's 2009 Vanier Cup win as well.

It's interesting to see Tracey leave for a CFL job, as his name's repeatedly come up in recent head-coaching discussions at the CIS level. CFL assistant jobs do tend to pay more than CIS ones, though, and they can also lead to further opportunities. He's not the only one to make the jump, either: this hire's just one of several from the CIS ranks recently, including Montreal's Noel Thorpe (who did very well as the Alouettes' DC last year after returning from the university level and is widely seen as potentially the next head coach there)

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/bombers-add-big-name-hire-pat-tracey-st-195607410.html

I love it - first game is two months away and we are already replacing Etcheverry....

The concern here would be that the coaches and management appear to be on different pages. Coaches and management should all be on the same page here. 

How can you say that? Teams players before TC all the time.

Typical over reaction.

I love it - first game is two months away and we are already replacing Etcheverry....

The concern here would be that the coaches and management appear to be on different pages. Coaches and management should all be on the same page here. 

How can you say that? Teams players before TC all the time.

Typical over reaction.

Hey I'm simply commenting on the rumours that the coaches and management had a difference opinion on the player. With a defensive coordinator who has failed as many times as Etchevary has I am not giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'll give him a chance this season but I ain't expecting radically different results from what he has shown in the past. And to add to that coaches and management should always be on the same page. There are two ways to build a team, you either build a system around the players you have, or you find players who fit the system you're going to run. Anything else and you wind up with seasons like we saw the last couple years. 

FIRE MIKE O'SHEA HE'S BEEN HERE TWO MONTHS AND WE HAVEN'T WON A SINGLE GAME!

Thats not nearly the same thing and you know... Etch was already on thin ice with many of us due to his track history in this league. Combine that with the article about him being fired from wherever and him being all arrogant about it, not even having a playbook, sounding like a crazy, and now this latest gem of a rumor going against management pushing for his release.... 

Its going to take a miracle for me, and many others I presume, to change our opinions on the guy.