Gerald McRath released

Mike

What I'm starting to get bothered by is that the Bombers are slowly veering from "we're always looking to upgrade" territory into "we have no clue what our plan is" territory. Releasing a guy before you let him try out for you in camp because you think you found someone better is one thing, doing it to like a dozen of them is another.

What I'm starting to get bothered by is that the Bombers are slowly veering from "we're always looking to upgrade" territory into "we have no clue what our plan is" territory. Releasing a guy before you let him try out for you in camp because you think you found someone better is one thing, doing it to like a dozen of them is another.

same feeling i have.

maybe a deal is met with McCune or they have interest in Kuale or perhaps a trade is coming

I wonder if people are going to be willing to sign here if they pick up a reputation of just dropping guys before giving them a chance. The optics just look really sketchy. 

I wonder if people are going to be willing to sign here if they pick up a reputation of just dropping guys before giving them a chance. The optics just look really sketchy. 

I don't know that it's gotten to that point yet. There haven't been that many guys cut, and they did get to watch these guys at the mini camp. It's not a real camp, but it can give you a sense of whether or not these guys can run well enough to play on a CFL field.

I don't know that it's gotten to that point yet. There haven't been that many guys cut, and they did get to watch these guys at the mini camp. It's not a real camp, but it can give you a sense of whether or not these guys can run well enough to play on a CFL field.

but if it becomes standard procedure what effect does that have long term? And to be quite honest I would hope that these professional football scouts could tell if a guy can run well enough on a CFL field before even offering a contract. 

but if it becomes standard procedure what effect does that have long term? And to be quite honest I would hope that these professional football scouts could tell if a guy can run well enough on a CFL field before even offering a contract. 

Fair enough re the scouts.

I agree it's a problem "if" it becomes standard procedure. It's too early to worry about that now though imo.

McRath is shocking. Just because from all accounts he was solid at mini camp and was even taking on a leadership role apparently in Flo Rida.

The other guy, never heard much about him from mini camp so not overly surprising.

A trade seems likely or maybe like others have suggested, McCune is on the way.

Someone suggested a trade with BC. Really? For Elimimian or Bighill? One would assume we would have to give up a bit, unless #2 and "insert player here" for Elimimian/Bighill and 1st rd 2014

Maybe #2 and a guy like Swiston or Pencer to BC for Elimimian/Bighill and their first works.. i have no idea. I hope the bombers do.

The other possibility is McRath asked for his release, maybe he has an NFL opportunity?? 

Don't get too hyped by early signings. This is exactly what other teams have done and why they have mini camps. You work out players at free agent camps and before mini camps. You then bring them to a mini camp to determine if they can compete with CFL calibre players. If you decide the can't you release them prior to main camp part of the issue is only contracted players are to attend mini camps. So some of these marginal guys are signed then released as per league requirements.

It's a tad early for "the sky is falling.." No? I'm sure there must be rational explanations for cuts that don't make sense like others have mentioned (NFL came calling, didn't grasp the concepts, etc etc)

Most teams have more than 65 players under contract right now. So, CFL teams have to cut players to get down to the training camp maximum of 65. I wouldn't put too much into this release. All teams are doing it. I wish we wouldn't have a mandated amount for players coming to training camp. If some teams want to bring in 75 players then let them.